Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pixie passed way !

Default Pixie passed way !

Guys, my frog died today. I dunno want happened. He wasnt moving and then i turned him arround he had the red legs(i checked him often, first time i saw that) and he wasnt able to turn, no response in either of the legs He died
    Poor guy. What did i do wrong??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Pixie passed way !

Hey sorry for your loss. He was still a baby so I really don’t think it was anything you did, he could have been ill when you purchased him and this may have been why he was reluctant to eat. Or it could have been just bad genetics if that’s the proper word. If you end up getting another I would advise to have the tank setup and the heat and humidity in check before bringing it home. They need a couple of days usually with no interaction to settle in so it’s always good to have the setup running already so he can be left alone. Not saying this was the reason he passed but if frog is already ill the added stress of fiddling around in his enclosure will stress him and when they get stressed it lowers there immune system big time, this lets what ever he sick with take over him faster. Again sorry for the loss.

4. 2 members thank monster for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Hey sorry for your loss. He was still a baby so I really don’t think it was anything you did, he could have been ill when you purchased him and this may have been why he was reluctant to eat. Or it could have been just bad genetics if that’s the proper word. If you end up getting another I would advise to have the tank setup and the heat and humidity in check before bringing it home. They need a couple of days usually with no interaction to settle in so it’s always good to have the setup running already so he can be left alone. Not saying this was the reason he passed but if frog is already ill the added stress of fiddling around in his enclosure will stress him and when they get stressed it lowers there immune system big time, this lets what ever he sick with take over him faster. Again sorry for the loss.
    Thanks Monster,
    I already have the new terrarium set properly; I'm thinking of getting a new one, yet not sure if i should buy from the same shop. They have a lot now. What should i look before buying the frog monster?
    Another thing, can it be the size of the crickets? Althought he seems to eat them well, they might be too large?
    But i guess that would not kill him. I would believe he was already sick and he didn't eat because of it...
    I'm thinking of getting an Ornata next.
    It's kinda of sad cause the little bugger was doing better and eating already. And i kinda feel i did something wrong. Poor guy.

PS: since i'm not getting an albino this time, should i get a uvb lamp or not?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Look for a frog that looks alert and doesn't have shed or anything stuck to him. I would ask to hold the frog, if it doesn't try to get away from you and just sits there that could be a sign theres something wrong. If the frog is just sitting in the water bowl I would ask if this is normal for the frog also, if it sits in the bowl all the time this would also be a indicator that it is sick. I would ask them to feed the frog for you to see how he reacts to the food, again if it doesn't at least catch his attention I wouldn't purchase it, when these frogs are babies they have one thing on there mind and that is food. I would also ask were they purchase the frogs from and do some googling to see if you can get any feed back on the seller/breeder.
    The crickets were pretty big for the frog but I don't think that is what made him pass, if he was pooping them he was digesting them and you were giving days off inbetween feedings. Generally the rule with feeders is no thicker then the distance between his eyes and no longer then half the body length, this is really good to follow when they are babies and juveniles to be safe. Usually when they are adults they can handle something a little bigger, people feed fuzzies and they can take them no problem.
    For the uvb it wont hurt them but it isn't needed, these frogs are adjusted to calcium metabolism with out uvb and in the wild when the sun comes out they pretty much burrow down or sit under leaves etc. and this what the vitamins are for. A good vitamin to get is Repashy calcium plus, it has all the vitamins you need in one. But again Uvb will not kill them and could have some benefits.

7. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

And just in case you didn't know, when buying an Ornata make sure to look and see if it has false eye spots. These are 2 little black dots on the back of each eye, this is garunteed way to tell if it is one.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hey, sorry about your loss, it is always very difficult to lose a loved one, including animals. I do think he was being cared for properly if that's any condolence. If you did get it from a pet-store, it likely did have something before you acquired it, and there was nothing to be done about that really. Again, sorry for your loss, we will be here to help you whenever you get your next frog species! (I myself am considering an Ornate horned frog, so great minds think alike )

10. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Thanks for the kind words guys!
    I'll be looking for the ornata after tomorrow. New terrarium is ready, but i'll get another plastic container cause i feel that one was Pixies, i will trow it away.
    New terrarium:
    Name:  IMG_20171029_210523.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  3.44 MB
    It's an 18x18x18.

Btw i was changing the substrat every week with pixies, and cleaning the plastic box each time, either with bleach or ammonia. For sure i rinse it very well after. Do you guys think it's better to get some reptile safe cleaner?
    I understand that the red legs are like bacteria and stuff, but i cleaned the guy often so i guess he arrived like that. Btw i cleaned is plastic container but the terrarium itself, since it had no substrate i did not clean it for a while, maybe i did rinse it two times in two months. But i guess this could not be the cause.
    Maybe he already arrived like that and thats why he didnt eat.

Ps: I use ecoearth, lets say if i make one brick and store it for a month, is it considered clean of bacteria if it's dry? Cause usually the stuff don't dry quickly, and i kinda don't want the substrat to be water.

12. This member thanks froghub for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

All my guys have pinkish legs from time to time from rubbing against the glass when they burrow or from moving across the substrate. When my first one ever passed from edema I remember her legs and belly went redder then usual, I don't think your frog had redleg. For the cleaning I will be honest and others may disagree but I only do a major disinfect about once every 3 months, before that I just do a super hot rinse and that's it. If your frog isn't sick and your changing out the substrate once a month or every 3 weeks you shouldn't have a bunch of bacteria living in there. A really good product is Zoo Med Wipeout, this is what I use to disinfect. For the substrate being wet, your supposed to squeeze out most the water so there is really no reason to leave it out to totally dry. A good rule is you want the substrate to clump in your hand when squeezed but not dripping water, this is what they need and it helps with the humidity.

14. This member thanks monster for this post:

All my guys have pinkish legs from time to time from rubbing against the glass when they burrow or from moving across the substrate. When my first one ever passed from edema I remember her legs and belly went redder then usual, I don't think your frog had redleg. For the cleaning I will be honest and others may disagree but I only do a major disinfect about once every 3 months, before that I just do a super hot rinse and that's it. If your frog isn't sick and your changing out the substrate once a month or every 3 weeks you shouldn't have a bunch of bacteria living in there. A really good product is Zoo Med Wipeout, this is what I use to disinfect. For the substrate being wet, your supposed to squeeze out most the water so there is really no reason to leave it out to totally dry. A good rule is you want the substrate to clump in your hand when squeezed but not dripping water, this is what they need and it helps with the humidity.
    Thanks for the answer bro, will do that next time instead of letting it dry, but for the red leds, his belly and legs where all red, and he didnt moved them anymore, he wasnt able to move them at all. Then i noticed, i tried to help him by putting him in a paper towel spot but too late, he just stopped breathing and he was clearly dead, he did not turn arround anymore. I left him there for a while but i was already sure he was dead...

Seen that he ate ecoearth two or three times, is it possible that could cause some impaction and kill him Monster ?
    Its been a while, but he did ate some.
    Last edited by froghub; October 29th, 2017 at 07:16 PM.

16. This member thanks froghub for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Red leg is usually accompanied by sores on the legs they will spend a lot of time in there water, and they usually become very lethargic from what I’ve heard and read. I have never had a frog die of red leg so I can’t speak from first hand experience. If you were cleaning and disenfecting that often the red leg shouldn’t have came from your tank. If it was redleg I imagine he may have got it from the store, once they got it even if you take and do all the things to make them better they still end up passing most the time. Once they have it in my eyes it’s hard to get rid of, it’s very unforgiving. For the coconut fibre he could have became impacted but agin usually with impaction they wouldn’t die that fast I don’t think, he would have to become septic from not going poop. Or if it was really bad it could have tore the lining of the stomach or intestine and would have leaked out which would have killed him but I dont think is what happened. Coconut fibre is made and meant for if the frog ingests it that he can pass it. I think the frog more then likely was just I’ll or as I mentioned had very bad genetics.

Okay, thanks Monster.
    I'm thinking of getting a new guy, two days in the offset and then feed him.
    But my terrarium seems to hold heat very well, i can't really have a cold side?
    If hot is at 28°C cold would be at 26,9°C. Is that enought?
    I guess he would burrow to cool off?
    Another thing, water bowl in cold or hot side? I normally put it in the middle but now i can't

Nationality
    [Canada]

Having a cool side is good this way he can thermoregulate his body temps. My tanks are 82f on the warm and 79f on the cool, I know it doesn't seem like much but it makes a difference to them. If that's all he you get though they also burrow to do the same thing, all my guys spend more time burrowed on the cool side most the time. For the water bowl I do the same as you and put it right smack dab in the middle, this way when they cross from side to side they have no choice to go through the water. The will usually stop and sit for awhile once they hit it too, or they will take a huge dump in it for me to clean. For placing it I would place it on the cool side or closer to the cool side if possible, but to be honest some place on it the cool end and some on the warm.

Thanks for the answer Monster, so with the door open i only have a difference of 1,2°C , but the plastic container inside plays a role in this insulation... The full terrarium has a difference of the same about you, but i can't manage that with the plastic box for the babies.
    Tomorrow i will get a juvenile that i saw today at the pet shop. I did not like the looks of the ornata, and this one is bigger already.
    Whats the correct procedure to adopt?
    2 days without eating when he arrives?

Nationality
    [Canada]

I would ask them when the last he ate was, if it was the day before I would just leave him. Juveniles are only supposed to eat every other day to every third day. They will eat bigger meals so they need at least one day in between feedings to digest. If he hasn’t eaten in a couple days there is no harm in offering him food but that’s all interaction he should get for the first couple days, if he doesn’t eat don’t stress he is just settling in to his new surroundings. Ask them when he pooped last too, if he hasn’t went in awhile after giving him a few days to destress you could give him a a warm bath to see if he goes before feeding him.

I would ask them when the last he ate was, if it was the day before I would just leave him. Juveniles are only supposed to eat every other day to every third day. They will eat bigger meals so they need at least one day in between feedings to digest. If he hasn’t eaten in a couple days there is no harm in offering him food but that’s all interaction he should get for the first couple days, if he doesn’t eat don’t stress he is just settling in to his new surroundings. Ask them when he pooped last too, if he hasn’t went in awhile after giving him a few days to destress you could give him a a warm bath to see if he goes before feeding him.
    Thanks pall, will do Now, when you mean don't stress him, i guess i will change the water and everything still as long as the frog isn't in the way? Or should i not touch the water for those few days?
    He comes from the US, captivity breed and is a regular green hornated frog.
    As i mentioned, i didn't like the way the ornata looks, too much of a baby, smaller than the last one.
    I called him to reserve me the green big one. Althought they're in 20cms water containers, not sure if it's normal.
    The small box i got this time is 38cmsx29cmsx15cm, a little bigger than the last one, i guess it should be fine since he's bigger? He has the same kind of setup, but a little bit more space to move. Water in the cold side and the ecoearth is in place.
    I'll give you some news tomorrow when i get the new guy

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya change the water like you would normally do, what I mean by don’t stress him is after he,s in the enclosure just leave him be. Don’t be hanging around and checking on him every half hour, and if he doesn’t want to eat for the first few days don’t stress and think you have to keep trying till does eat. Not saying this is what you will do but this what people mean by don’t stress the frog out. Some people try to keep them in just water but it’s not good for there back legs, after a while they end up haveing serious issues with the legs. I even seen on an old thread That a breeder from the US even said that it isn’t recommended to keep them that way.

Okay so, Pixie used to hang a lot in the water. Not sure why, but he went to the pool a lot.
    Maybe cause the guys kept them in water. Who knows.
    Maybe the legs not working and being red were a cause from that.
    Lets see this ones. At least i'm sure they arrived no longer than one week ago. I went for cricket and there were 0 pacman frogs last week. Now they have at least 20. I hope he'll do better.
    Thanks Monster i'll keep you informed when i get the big guy tomorrow.
    About the hot and cold sides, should i get a mini fan in the cool side maybe?
    Cause i feel the diference of 1,2°C is not a lot for those guys.
    About the hidding spot is in the hot side, and the pool is in the cold side this time.
    Ps: When you spray the terrarium, do you spray the frog himself normally or just the substrate? I try to avoid the frog, but not sure of this.

Nationality
    [Canada]

If you put a fan you may lose heat on the warm side to, and you will fight with humidity I would think. When you spray the tank don't spray him directly because he will more then likely not like that very much. When spraying you don't even need to spray the substrate everytime, just if it feels or is starting to look dry. I usually just spray the plants and the walls and the substrate every couple days. Towards the end of the month you may have to spray the ground a little more often but that's also a good sign its time for a substrate change. If you spray the ground everytime you mist you will end up with soaking wet substrate within no time at all. Remember you just want the substrate damp not dripping wet.

Alright, got the idea i guess he'll have to borrow, one side is at 81F and the other 79F/78F the plastic box retains a lot of heat.
    For the treated water, how do you guys do? I usually treat a bottle with reptisafe and then stock it for one month or so. Is it fine to do?
    I know i'm kinda of a pain in the *** but i need to have those technical questions answered
    How many frogs do you have in total btw? :O
    Thanks Monster.

Nationality
    [Canada]

If you can get that warm side up another degree or 2 that would be good but 81f isn't bad so if you cant don't stress, it should be good enough. The reptisafe works almost instantly, I wait about ten minutes before it adding to the substrate and I don't think you even have to wait that long. I just like to be sure when it comes to water. I have 4 frogs all Horned frogs at the moment, I have a male Green Cranwelli and a female Albino Cranwelli and a male and female Ornate. My female Cranwelli is the biggest and she's just a little bigger then 4 3/4 inches and she is mean and grumpy. I will add another 2 to my collection if I can find the ones I want and then that's it, as I mentioned before they are 2 of the rarer kinds so I may be waiting awhile but I specifically want those and nothing else. And don't worry about the questions your not a pain at all, that's what the forum is here for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information