Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pixie passed way !

Default Re: Pixie passed way !

I surely can but the thing is i've 3 thermometers saying that there's 83F when the new thermostat i got now is 81F. So i don't kinda know which one is lying here, i'm testing it out with another thermometer tomorrow ahahah and the two ones which have the right temperatures win.
    I guess the thermostat, but tomorrow will check before bringing the new guy home.
    The problem with reptisafe is the quantity for a little quantity of water as in the pool. I usually add more than supposed then i stock a bottle and change it, cause my pool takes about
    250ml and i can't out the exact two drops in there, and i find it safer anyway, do you believe that reptisafe stops working after a while, or when the water is dechlorinated it stays that way?
    Thanks again

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

If you got a good brand thermostat I would trust the thermostat, especially if your taking the readings from the same spot were its saying 83f. But 83 isn't bad either but I do think the thermostat is correct, I find thermometers are usually always off by a degree or too. I use zoo med hygrotherms for all my tanks and I trust them a lot so to be honest I don't even keep thermometers in my tanks, I have one that I will throw in there everyone once in awhile just to see the difference and its usually always off by a degree or 2 and I also have an infrared that I check with every once in awhile but that's more for my bearded dragon. To be honest the ones I find the most accurate if you really want to see is one of those glass ones you use for fish tanks, place it right beside the probe to the thermostat and that will tell you for sure, I used to have one and it was always the exact as the thermostat but I dropped it and it broke. And you don't want to keep it in there its just more to check every once in awhile to see if your thermostat is still working up to par. For the reptisafe I have a huge jug of it that I just refill my small bottle with and I have it for over a year now and it seems to still be working because my frogs are good and healthy. And when the water is declorinated yes it would stay that way unless you added something into yourself.

Okay, you were right about trusting the thermostat too. Anyway i've a laser one that is comming, so i'll check that out too.
    Soooooo new guy is home.
    He ate three crickets and a lot of ecoearth, he was chasing four more but no joy, only got ecoearth after the first three.
    So two medium and one big one, not sure if its enought for a juvenile. Anyway he gave up and burrowed deep into the substrate.
    I helped with the tongs for the big one, he was hungry and not afraid, after i tried again but he kinda backed up and went chasing another one but only ecoearth.
    Maybe i try some dubias since they're bigger then crickets?
    Now i guess i'll try again after tomorrow ?
    I'll try to make the ecoearth more compressed so he doesn't eat all of it at least in the area i put the crickets in lol.
    I wasnt able to know when he popped, but he didnt seem to have a lot in his stomach, now he's much rounder as he should be.
    Now eating a little bit of ecoearth should not be a problem for a juvenile as long as he poops right?
    And he disappear under the substrate, he'll come back up on its own when is hungry i hope!
    This enclosure sees about the right size for now, but when should i put him in the big one?
    Thanks guys

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey glad to hear this guy doing better already, if he took one from the tongs next time you feed I wouldn't just let the crickets go and try to feed them by the tongs. All though eco earth can be passed you don't want him eating to much of it, you don't want him to become impacted from it and you don't want him filling up on eco earth and then not wanting to eat his bugs. Even though eco earth is made to be able to pass sometimes if they eat large amounts it will give him a mild impaction, but nothing a good old honey bath cant take care of. I would try the roaches, from what I have heard they are better then crickets nutrition wise. And if he's a juvenile I would get some nightcrawlers ( big worms) and feed him those, if they are really long you can cut them in half. Once you feed nightcrawlers you will notice his growth rate will really speed up. He should come back up on his own, if he doesn't for a day or 2 I wouldn't worry to much because this is his way of making himself feel secure. After lets say 2 days if he doesn't then I would unbury him to check on him. Once you know he's doing ok and he's grown abit you should be able to put him in his permanent home, I would give a month tops. If he keeps eating he will grow a lot within a month. A little trick when tong feeding is to rub the food item under his bottom lip, this triggers there feeding response most the time and once he's eaten one they usually keep going.

Will try that for sure!
    But for the nightcrawlers, we don't have them in europe, only the littles ones(European Nightcrawlers; Dendrobeanna veneta). Not as big as yours. But i'll try to find the big ones.
    I'll bait him out of the hole with some crickets running arround and them try to tong feed him.
    I believe that he did not eat as much as that, but i'll make sure i'll be paying attention to poop, otherwise i'll give him a bath. How often should he poop? Once in two days?
    In the mean time, if he refuses to eat by tongs, a container without ecoearth is fine too as i did before?
    Should i put something under the container? Or clean plastic is just fine?
    Meet Trixie!
    Took this one on arrival:

The new family member, and yes he's bigger that it looks outside
    Thanks Monster

7. This member thanks froghub for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

He’s a very nice green. He should poop every few days to once a week, depends on how fast his metabolism is. If you feed in a separate container it doesn’t matter if the bottom is dark or not he can still see them. If he seems to not like the container you can try tapping some dark paper around the outside so he can’t see out this may help. In all honesty though tong feeding is the best way to feed, you know he’s eating and you know he’s getting his vitamins, sometimes the feeders clean the vitamins off before the frog gets a chance to eat them. If he doesn’t take from the tongs right away don’t get discouraged and keep trying, he will eventually get the idea they mean good and they won’t hurt him

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    He’s a very nice green. He should poop every few days to once a week, depends on how fast his metabolism is. If you feed in a separate container it doesn’t matter if the bottom is dark or not he can still see them. If he seems to not like the container you can try tapping some dark paper around the outside so he can’t see out this may help. In all honesty though tong feeding is the best way to feed, you know he’s eating and you know he’s getting his vitamins, sometimes the feeders clean the vitamins off before the frog gets a chance to eat them. If he doesn’t take from the tongs right away don’t get discouraged and keep trying, he will eventually get the idea they mean good and they won’t hurt him
    Okayyyy, so good news.
    He doesn't refuse tongs at all. I tong fed him two crickets and he has eaten no problem at all
    Then he borrowed deep i understood he was full already.
    So this morning he was out and he looked like he wanted to eat, so i fed him arround the same time as yesterday, he took them no problem.
    Tomorrow i'll give him a break, yesterday i gave him multivitamins today calcium, tomorrow is off for digestion and after i shall try to feed him again!
    Ahahah great Monster! This guy has a lot of appetite and thats good
    Thanks

10. This member thanks froghub for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

That’s awesome, glad to hear this one is already doing better. I really believe the other guy was sick when you got him. That’s good he’s eating from the tongs, now you know that he won’t ingest the substrate and that he will get his vitamins. As you mentioned make sure you give him a day off in between feedings to digest and you don’t want him to become over weight as weird as that sounds for a frog that is as wide as he is long. Sounds like everything is going to work out for you this time around. If you can get your hands on some Repashy Calcium Plus I would pick some up, it is a far better vitamin supplement then a lot of the others out there and as I mentioned it has all the vitamins in one.

I will make sure of that, right know he's just filling the loosy belly he had, now at least he's round either he pooped before he came or they didnt fed him enought food. Anyway the meat in the belly was there, just not round i guess. But yes i'll be carefull.
    Well i found the repashy calcium plus, its a little bit expensive but its fine, i'll order some later, but it is all in one?
    Right now i'm using reptivite multivitamins +D3 and calcium without D3 by zoomed.
    So if i use the repashy it's a all in one thats it? No need for calcium+ multivitamins ?
    How many times do you powder insects with it?
    And btw, is there such thing as too many vitamins or will they poop the excess? Or can too much powder be harmfull?
    Thanks Monster

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yep its all in one, I even called Repashy to make sure and they informed me that yes if you use this there is no need for any other vitamin. If you wanted you could even call them and they would be more then happy to answer any questions you have, most companies have no problem explaining how there products work and are more then happy to answer your questions. The Reptivite one your using at the moment actually is a better product also but I'm not to sure about the Zoo Med one. The Repashy is a bit expensive buts its because its such a good product. Yes you can give to much vitamins but just keep a good schedule and don't over do it, Repashy says on the bottle to use with every insect feed. When my guys were smaller and ate more often though I still gave them a day off from vitamins, and they are all big and healthy adults now. I will try to get some pictures of my guys in the next couple days and post them.

Yep its all in one, I even called Repashy to make sure and they informed me that yes if you use this there is no need for any other vitamin. If you wanted you could even call them and they would be more then happy to answer any questions you have, most companies have no problem explaining how there products work and are more then happy to answer your questions. The Reptivite one your using at the moment actually is a better product also but I'm not to sure about the Zoo Med one. The Repashy is a bit expensive buts its because its such a good product. Yes you can give to much vitamins but just keep a good schedule and don't over do it, Repashy says on the bottle to use with every insect feed. When my guys were smaller and ate more often though I still gave them a day off from vitamins, and they are all big and healthy adults now. I will try to get some pictures of my guys in the next couple days and post them.
    Would love to see your guys!
    So actually the most common is exoterra, but i'm not sure about the quality. Zoomed usually is not bad but i'm no expert, to me it seems complet, i'll add a picture:
    Name:  IMG_20171101_195509.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  3.04 MB
    Name:  IMG_20171101_195923.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  3.75 MB

Btw i'm trying to do something like:
    Monday - Reptivite
    Tuesday - no food
    Wednesday - Calcium No D3
    Thursday - no food
    Friday- Calcium No D3
    Saturday - no food.
    Sunday -food, no vitamins.

But still not sure if monday he's gonna eat cause he ate sunday. So either only using calcium once, or using it always and the only rest he gets without vitamins will be is off food days.

And i'm not sure if multivitamins with D3 is a good idea, or if it should the inverse, calcium with D3 instead.

But i've too agree, and i'll get repashy cause it will be less of a pain in the *** to think of how many times should i give it or not and just give it everytime he's out to eat except one day.
    Thanks Cory

Nationality
    [Canada]

Your schedule seems fine, I would do a calcium and d3 instead of multivitamins and d3 myself. For the exoterra I tried it and didn’t like it and my frogs couldn’t stand it, I think it had a bad taste to them. The Repashy even though it’s an all in one the maker Allen Repashy has it down to a science and it isn’t something he just whipped together from what I have read. He spent lots of time figuring out how to put it all one without causing harm to the animals ingesting it. But again if you better using separate your schedule is fine, the only thing I would change is I mentioned I would get a calcium and d3 instead of the multivitamin and d3.

Nah, i'll get the repashy instead, it's easier and cheaper than the combo after all, and if you say it's better i believe you. And one day off vitamins per week? That's a easier schedule to keep As long as it has all the frog need, D3 calcium etc i'm good.
    How many time does it lasts you normally? since i've only one frog i shall get the little one no?
    Is the expiry date usually long or not?
    And since there are a lot that look alike LoD version and etc, just confirm if this is the one, thanks:
    Name:  Screenshot 2017-11-01 21.14.44.png
Views: 45
Size:  334.7 KB

Any thoughts on the pacman frog food you saw in the image? Do you believe that they have everything necessary?
    Anyway i use that to feed the crickets instead ahahaha they seem to like it, and it's a gutload.
    Did not try on the new frog, i guess he would eat it too.

Thanks again bro

And this thread will be the new guide for every new keeper ahahahaha

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yep that's the one, and to be honest I don't know much about the pacman food. I choose to feed live feeders because I believe this is what he would want over the other, and I believe you get a better feeding response from something that has natural movement over something you have to wiggle and make movement yourself. But there is people that use it and swear by it and from what I have read there is some breeders that throw it into the frogs diet. For the length of how long it lasts most keepers suggest to replace all vitamins after 6 months and to store it the fridge. I have never actually went through a full bottle before the 6 month mark so I just throw it away and get a new bottle, but I get the big one. For one frog you will only need the small bottle.

Yep that's the one, and to be honest I don't know much about the pacman food. I choose to feed live feeders because I believe this is what he would want over the other, and I believe you get a better feeding response from something that has natural movement over something you have to wiggle and make movement yourself. But there is people that use it and swear by it and from what I have read there is some breeders that throw it into the frogs diet. For the length of how long it lasts most keepers suggest to replace all vitamins after 6 months and to store it the fridge. I have never actually went through a full bottle before the 6 month mark so I just throw it away and get a new bottle, but I get the big one. For one frog you will only need the small bottle.
    I ordered it, so i guess when it arrives i'll not have to lose time thinking if i did put multivitamins last time or calcium ahahahah, it'll all be the same, and i read some reviews it surely seem that they are great. Thanks for the advice once again
    Yeah, i might give it a go and try it soon, maybe he'll eat it and i can mix it into is diet. If he doesn't like it i'll keep using it for gutload, its still less expensive than cricket food.
    I might wanna think on starting a dubia colony or something, i believe that insects will become expensive when he eats a box in one day ahahaha.
    Next i'll get some dubias and see how he does

Nationality
    [Canada]

The Dubai’s are better then crickets and I imagine he will love them, most Pacmans and other frogs that can eat them seem to love them. Us Canadians can’t get them or I would use them for sure, they don’t smell half as bad crickets and from what I have read and heard they are very easy to cultivate. Cultivating them would be the way to go especially if you plan to get more in the future, and it saves you money like you mentioned and saves on trips to the store. My main staple is Nightcrawlers so I just buy a whole whack of them at the start of the month, dump them into one big container and keep them in the fridge. And then I throw in things like hornworms, silkworms, butter worms etc for treats. And I will give a fuzzy once a month to every 2 months because they really like those. If you can get your hands on some hornworms give him a couple of those and he will love you for it, my guys go nuts for them. Just don’t give them to often because they are high in fat and water content.

20. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Very sorry about Pixie, froghub. I'm glad your new frog is doing well.
    I have a dubia colony, and can attest to them being a good feeder. They are easy to raise and have no noticable smell, and grow large enough to be significant morsels for large frogs like a Pacman or an African Bullfrog. They are not perfect however. They are quick to burrow and take a while to get started, but there are ways to work around these issues. Some people just crush the dubia's head before feeding. Since the frog eats from tongs you can just give feed them that way and avoid them burrowing altogether. To get the colony going relatively quick you have to buy new adults every so often for a while after starting it. Once they get going there's tons though.
    I havent got a pacman right now, but I do have an African Bullfrog. He gets plenty of roaches, near adult roaches fill him up pretty fast. That's one great thing about Dubias, they start out small enough to feed to smaller frogs, then grow big enough to be a good size for a huge frog.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

22. 2 members thank daybr4ke for this post:

Thanks Bryce, thanks Cory
    I'll get a container and some egg crates i guess ahahah, not sure if my girlfriend will be happy having dubias arround but we'll see.
    News guy borrows at night, gets out at morning like a clock
    Today i did not feed him, he did not poop, i'll try to feed him tomorrow, if no poop i'll give him a honey bath if thats sound good?
    About the threat section, hornworms are not easy to get in France. What other threats may i give him?
    And do you believe he has the size for a pinkie?? Should i give it alive or frozen?? He's about 1.9inches already, if not pinkie i shall get some dubias!
    I love to see this guy eating ahahah.
    He was outside today, i went changing the water and spray him since i saw substrat was dry, he borrowed a little and stayed there ahaha so cool, he wasnt too stressed he just hide like saying you can't see me this way.
    They're rather smart.
    So about the uvb, i've a 1,5w led which is soft, but i was thinking of adding a 13w 2.0 UVB lamp to the setup. Like 2h a day only. Would that be good for the frog?
    Thanks gentlemen

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Wax worms and silk worms are good alternatives to hornworms for treats. They're high in fat just like hornworms, though. Some people give them a live pinkie or two before feeding frozen so they recognize the shape. Personally I just feed my frogs live pinkies.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [Canada]

If you have the uvb light inside the enclosure it may be good enough but if it’s on top you will at least a 5.0, the screen filters out half so the one you have would really be doing anything. And all though silkworms are high in fat they are not as bad waxworms and have way more protein so they are a better treat. If you can get Phoenix worms they are also a really good treat due to they have a lot of protein also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information