Thread: What time do you feed your frog?

Default What time do you feed your frog?

So, i've a baby hornated frog in albino as you might already know.
    Problem is, he doesn't seem to eat well, so at the beggining i fed him in the terrarium, 5 or 6 times he ate well, then instead of graving the pray he grabbed coco fiber and stopped eating for a couple of days or so.
    Now i used to put him in a side container 5 or 6 times he ate well. Now he seems stressed in the side container and he refused to eat today, which he should have eaten.
    So i would like more information in this matter, if you guys could tell me exactly the procedure you do, what time of the day do you feed them etc in detail i would thank you, this way i can check what i'm doing wrong.
    Thanks guys.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: What time do you feed your frog?

I have always fed at night about an hour after lights go out and the temps have dropped a few degrees. They are nocturnal hunters so this is what's natural to them and this is when they hunt in the wild. The only light in the room is whats comeing from the hallway light, just enough so I can see them. I find if there is to much light they hesitate to feed.

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    I have always fed at night about an hour after lights go out and the temps have dropped a few degrees. They are nocturnal hunters so this is what's natural to them and this is when they hunt in the wild. The only light in the room is whats comeing from the hallway light, just enough so I can see them. I find if there is to much light they hesitate to feed.
    I've read somewhere that the ornata are nocturnal and the cranwelli are daytime active, not sure if it's true then? So cranwelli feed at night too?
    And do they actually wait for you to feed them at the same time everyday, do they get used to it after a while?
    Thats true, since i've soften the light he is eating better, but my bugger is a little bit of a pain to fed each time.
    Normally he eats better at 15h, but i might give it a go lights off, are they able to see or they need a bit of light?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Most frogs and toads from my knowledge are nocturnal hunters, even a lot of tree frogs. That's why when you see nature shows and stuff when they are looking for frogs they are almost always looking for them at night, they are out eating and because most frogs aren't that fond of the sun. Ya they will eventually get used the schedule. My guys are like clock work when it comes to day and night, lights go on within a half hour they are under ground and when lights go out when I go down to check on them they are all out in about within an hour. The odd time one wont come up because he/she chooses to just to stay underground but the next night they come out. I can honestly say I have never heard that about the Cranwelli, my guys and gals have always fed at night and had no desire to eat during the day and I have a male and female of each kind. And yes they can see perfectly fine in the dark, when they were babies before I had them tong trained I would just drop a couple crickets leave the room and shut the door and when I went back about half hour later the crickets would be gobbled up. And the room is pitch dark.

Most frogs and toads from my knowledge are nocturnal hunters, even a lot of tree frogs. That's why when you see nature shows and stuff when they are looking for frogs they are almost always looking for them at night, they are out eating and because most frogs aren't that fond of the sun. Ya they will eventually get used the schedule. My guys are like clock work when it comes to day and night, lights go on within a half hour they are under ground and when lights go out when I go down to check on them they are all out in about within an hour. The odd time one wont come up because he/she chooses to just to stay underground but the next night they come out. I can honestly say I have never heard that about the Cranwelli, my guys and gals have always fed at night and had no desire to eat during the day and I have a male and female of each kind. And yes they can see perfectly fine in the dark, when they were babies before I had them tong trained I would just drop a couple crickets leave the room and shut the door and when I went back about half hour later the crickets would be gobbled up. And the room is pitch dark.
    So lets say, if i would wait for the lights to go out, put him in the side container as usually he'll most likely eat better during night?
    Sure thing, i'll give this a try in pitch black room tomorrow, i'll offer him is food arround the normal time, and then at night if he doesn't eat during the day, would offering food twice be too stressfull?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya most people I know offer food during the night when the lights are off and the temp has dropped, so if your trying during the day he may have better reaction to the food at night. The offering food twice may be stressfull but you have to do what you to do to see if this is the problem I guess. When you try at night also leave the room and then check on him in 10 to 15 minutes to see whats happening. Some peoples pacmans from what I have read on here in different threads are very secretive eaters and wont eat if your in the room as weird as that sounds.

8. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I try to feed mine in the evening. Sometimes I miss it by a bit. Sometimes I do it when I get up If the frogs are still awake and active when I get up.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

10. 2 members thank daybr4ke for this post:

Thanks for the answers guys, i guess mine is not hungry, sometimes he takes 3 4 days after a big cricket to eat again. He does not poop often either, maybe once a week. Maybe he stores some ahahah.
    So i tried both, no difference, he does the same, light or no light is the same, i'll keep trying until he decides what he prefers.
    Do they actually sleep?? I never see him with the eyes closed actually... And how do they sleep? Even at night, my frog moves everywhere, into the pool, he goes borrowing, he's active day and night ahahah.

Nationality
    [Canada]

When they sleep they look like they are awake. If you look at at him while hes moveing around his pupils will be dialated and when he,s sleeping he will be sitting there but his pupils will be very small.

When they sleep they look like they are awake. If you look at at him while hes moveing around his pupils will be dialated and when he,s sleeping he will be sitting there but his pupils will be very small.
    Ahhh i got it now! Sometimes i wake him up i guess, should you feed him while he sleeps or should i wait?
    The poor fellow sleeps during day then, i've seen this happening, i reduced the light and the pupils were larger, thought it was the light.

Thread Information