Thread: New owner, need advice bad!

Default New owner, need advice bad!

Lets start with saying I thought I was prepared.......but I ended up being slightly under prepared

This morning I woke up and the tank was at 67 degrees... We rushed out and had to mix and match things and ended up with a dual mini lamp housing now currently with a 13w UVB bulb for light and a 25W blue bulb that I intend to keep on 24/7, I would like to replace the blue bulb with a CHE, what is an appropriate wattage for a reg 20x10 10 gallon glass tank? I am having a hard time keeping the temp up, I cant seem to get it over 74 degrees. so my thoughts are a CHE bulb might be better, all but one side has foil on it as well as the mesh lid. I do have a UTH on one of the sides.

I'll be getting the new CHE this weekend after I get paid, but would like to know what Watt to buy

Also I just got him on 10/14/17, I offered food twice but I think I need to just leave him alone for the rest of the week. When the time does come to to feed what is the best process?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New owner, need advice bad!

I once recommended a 60w for a 20g long, another member corrected me. They had to use a thermostat to regulate the ceramic heater to keep it from overheating them. This was for firebelly toads though. I would recommend a 20 or 25w ceramic heater, but you may need a thermostat for that anyway. Defer to what Monster says when he posts, I've never used a ceramic heat emitter and he knows pacmans better than I do. Welcome to the forum, by the way!
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Quote Originally Posted by Lucythepug View Post
    Lets start with saying I thought I was prepared.......but I ended up being slightly under prepared

This morning I woke up and the tank was at 67 degrees... We rushed out and had to mix and match things and ended up with a dual mini lamp housing now currently with a 13w UVB bulb for light and a 25W blue bulb that I intend to keep on 24/7, I would like to replace the blue bulb with a CHE, what is an appropriate wattage for a reg 20x10 10 gallon glass tank? I am having a hard time keeping the temp up, I cant seem to get it over 74 degrees. so my thoughts are a CHE bulb might be better, all but one side has foil on it as well as the mesh lid. I do have a UTH on one of the sides.

I'll be getting the new CHE this weekend after I get paid, but would like to know what Watt to buy

Also I just got him on 10/14/17, I offered food twice but I think I need to just leave him alone for the rest of the week. When the time does come to to feed what is the best process?
    You'll in any case need a thermostat as Bryce refered, i use CHE, for the moment i've a 100W with a dimming thermostat (Ringder night and day + lights). Other than that, get a normal thermostat and a dimmer, and buy a 100w instead. When it's very cold you can always bump it up to 70W+- and the thermostat will do the rest, if you've the thermostat i refered, the light will be dimmed by the thermostat itself keeping it at a steady temp. Depending on the height of your terrarium, you want your probe to be directly under the CHE in the hotter spot that you can feel, so it'll never get too hot for the little pacman.
    For feeding, mine is a pain in the *** to be fair, he's still a baby too. Just leave the crickets running around, if the little guy orientantes himself towards the cricket, he's trying to eat them so you might give the cricket a push towards the frog. Other than that, if he's still little that's way way too big of a terrarium for him, mine is in half of a 10 gallon now, less stressed, eating better, although still not eating as he should. And yes, you might not offer food for one or two days when changing terrariuns etc, this usually helps mine eating. Hope i helped.
    PS: Get two thermometers, one for the hot side one for the cold side(i use the thermostat on the hot, a thermohygrometer on the other side), hot should be around 28C and cold side about 25C.
    Little tip, you might get a cheaper CHE from amazon or something, don't waste 30bucks on a branded one, frankly they'll be the same. I've both and i use the 5 dollars one and a porcelain E27 socket (10 bucks) and they work like a charm.

Inhave 2 thermostats/ hygrometer ones analog the other digital with mo probe. They read the same temo when i out rhem together but the humidity differs greaty.

I am planing on getting the one with a prob and then using what ever one matched it on the other side of the tank.

He is small and in a standard 10 gallon. I do have a plastic divider, or i can transfer him to a small tupperware and put that inside the tank.

Can someone e maybe post links of amazon item you speak of? I want to provide him the best. But not waste money buying the wrong stuff again.

When i mean thermostat, i'm talking about a little machine with a plug that disconnects the lamp when the set temperature is reached, i think you ment to say thermometers? If you've a thermostat, get a 100w and a dimmer so you can set it to arround 60w/70w, if you don't buy the one i talked about which do both in one machine if you'd like.
    Anyway, you'll need a thermostat, a CHE running full blast day and night will certainly cook your frog...
    For the hygrometers, that's normal, they're all bad even the expensive ones... Believe me, i tried, most of them have the same sensor... Same to me, do the salt test (slimy gue of salt and water inside a sealed bag with the hygrometer) that should read 75percent, if it reads 79 write with a pencil +4 for example in the hygrometer, so you know.
    Yes, the tank should be half the size, at least three sides covered, or a black tupperware. Is he an albino? If he is, LED light with no more than 100lm and something yellow/reddish, around 1W. Don't even think about UVB/UVA.
    Mine is in a tupperware inside the tank...
    Name:  IMG_20170926_194052.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  2.53 MB
    For the links, i've sent you a PM, but since you're in the US, the items will not be the same as in france, but you'll find the same ones i guess, or at least a lot look a like.

Thank you! I hate that I am figuring this out NOW. He heat was at least stable over night 78 on the warm side 74 on the cool.

Oops I did mean Thermometer.

The dimer is just for the light? the room he is stays cool all the time for the axolotls. I think the cold room at night would be enough to make temp fluctuations. not sure Ill try to find a dual unit for the CHE

Quote Originally Posted by Lucythepug View Post
    Oops I did mean Thermometer.

The dimer is just for the light? the room he is stays cool all the time for the axolotls. I think the cold room at night would be enough to make temp fluctuations. not sure Ill try to find a dual unit for the CHE
    Please please please take that UVB out of there straight away. Since he's albino you'll make him blind and burn his skin....
    Yeah pall that a look at options, good luck

Anyway, you might wanna get either a 60W, or a 100w for the colder days, this last only used with a dimmer.
    Here are some Exo-Terra(same for other brands whatsoever, look at the Wattage) charts that might help you choosing, based on the height of the terrarium. But anyway, get a thermostat too
    Mine are 100w, around 30CM high in the terrarium, but i dimme it down as i referred.
    BTW, depending on the installation that you'll use you might want considering leaving the lamp in 1/3 of the terrarium, and 2/3 free of heat, as this ones heat a lot, so you can actually have the colder side.
    Hope to hear some news, and get rid of those UVB... The guys who suggested that for an albino are crazy
    Name:  ceramic_heater_60w_2045_table.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  27.0 KB
    Name:  ceramic_heater_100w_2046_table.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  26.9 KB

I don't know if they were aware it was a albino, I don't know if they asked me. Ill removed it as soon as I get home and go back to the salt lamp light.

What does the dimmer do? just dim the lights? and the thermostat sets the temp at whatever setting you put it at.

The LEDs are not dimmable, thats why i refered you to the 1w 80lm, i use the dimmer to dimme the CHE so it doesnt overheat. When it is full blast it overheats

For the eating part, you might consider the size of the crickets. Buy 3 or 4 sizes and then you try. My frog prefer the biggers ones and don't even care about the smallers, although most people would say they're too big, but now he's eating and chasing them like crazy

Nationality
    [Canada]

The dimmer will lower the lighting but also lower the temps. The best thermostat I have used is the Zoo med Hygrotherm, it has day and night time settings so it drops the temps for you on its own at night and it even has a humidity setting so if goes under it will let you know. If you have a fogger you plug it into the hygrotherm with your heating device and it takes care of everything for you and you don't have to worry about heating and humidity anymore, they are abit pricey but they work like a charm and save you a lot of headaches. For the eating if the temps aren't were there supposed to be and he isn't warm enough he will have a hard time digesting his food and he wont want to eat.

I am getting a 5w led, and keeping it to one side. Then I have a 25W and a 40W CHE to use in summer and winter, I am going to ask for a fogger for Xmas or something. I have the small crickets in the Tupperware with him, he did not eat any last night. But he was out of the dirt this Morning and puffed up at me, so I think he's settling in a bit, even it is s tad to cold, tank has been staying at 74 on the cool side, so he will be much happier once the CHE comes in tomorrow

5W will surely be too much for lightining, get a red or yellow one, as white are usually brighter, but as long as is far away and as long as you check your pacman eyes(or pupils), they should not be too little when the light is on. This way you ensure that he sees fine and the light is not to bright.
    For the CHE i'm pretty sure 25w is not enought for a 10gallon, 40W if you're installing it outside throught the grid it'll not be enough too. I would get at least a 60w with a thermostat. Givemme some news when you have some.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I would have to agree with froghub that a 25 watt is not going to be enough. The 40-50 should be ok for a 10 gallon, what you want to do is cover half to just a little more then half of your lid with tinfoil and it traps the heat in. And yes it is fine to do this, just make sure you have an opening at each end to allow air flow so the air doesn't become stagnant. Some people will actually cover up to 2/3 of the top, I have kept all my pacman frogs with the little more then half covered and have never had a problem. I have a reptile/frog room that is at constant 75f all year round so I can get away with not having to cover 2/3. And the foil also helps with humidity a lot.

Thread Information