Thread: Need Assistance

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Need Assistance

Greetings:

I have a large horse trough where tree frogs lay eggs every year. I nurture them until they change into frogs and escape into the environment. Up until this year it's been gray tree frogs ... I live in Kansas. This year, however, I have both gray and green tree frogs all in the trough. This is the best year for the tadpoles becoming frogs I have ever had. I feed them algae, lettuce and frog food throughout the summer and fall.

Anyway, we had a cold snap here ... in the low 50s ... when it was in the 70s and 80s before today. Many of the froglets that had formed in the trough died overnight. I still have some tadpoles with all four legs. I found a little guy beside the trough this morning and I brought it inside where it's warmer. It's one of the green tree frogs. It's supposed to get up into the 70s within 48 hours and up toward 80 before the end of the week. If the little guy lasts that long I'm planning on releasing it once it gets warm outside.

However, I'm not equipped to feed it live food. Can it live that long without insects? I do have some frog and tadpole granulated food, but no live insects. I've got it in a bowl with a little bit of water for moisture and I put a sprinkle of the frog food in there. I also have algae tablets.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Also, I have some cool photos from this year like the one below:

Name:  DSC00630.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  7.44 MB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Need Assistance

While they're still absorbing their tails they won't need to eat, but after they will need live food. It looks like they may need food within a few days but that's a guess.
    Could you find any small insects and put the frogs in a cup with them? Or some pet stores sell flightless fruit flies in small shakers that are pretty convenient.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    While they're still absorbing their tails they won't need to eat, but after they will need live food. It looks like they may need food within a few days but that's a guess.
    Could you find any small insects and put the frogs in a cup with them? Or some pet stores sell flightless fruit flies in small shakers that are pretty convenient.
    Thank you! I didn't know about the tail. Many of the ones that left the trough did have stubby little tails. The little guy I have doesn't have a tail. I know for sure I can find small ants ... I'll give that a try.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Also, I'm not entirely sure but judging by the texture of their skin, I think these may be green phase gray tree frogs, not hyla cineris (american green).

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Also, I'm not entirely sure but judging by the texture of their skin, I think these may be green phase gray tree frogs, not hyla cineris (american green).
    Interesting! I have been debating the species of these frogs all summer! I have some photos of the adult frogs from around my house. I will attach to this post.Name:  20170911_083544.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  472.5 KBName:  20170912_174807.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  640.5 KBName:  20170912_174907.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  534.3 KB

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

These are all Gray treefrogs. They are often green in coloration. Green treefrogs do not occur naturally in KS.
    They will be fine without food for a few days. In fact, at this stage, their mouth is not fully formed to be able to take insects anyways. They derive their energy from the absorption of the tail.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you so much. At first I thought they were Gray treefrogs, but then the green ones showed up .... and as you can see they are VERY green! I appreciate your information.

Well, I've had the little guy for 48 hours now. There was a little stub of a tail when I brought it inside but now it's gone. And the frog has gotten bigger! I'm thinking of releasing it today. It's supposed to be 73 degrees, won't get below 60 tonight, and then into the 80's tomorrow. I want to keep it so bad, but, I figure it belongs outside.

Name:  DSC00909.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  6.38 MBName:  DSC00911.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  6.54 MB

Nationality
    [United States]

Well, I turned the little frog loose this morning. It was around 70 degrees and it has risen to 82 degrees today. He was ready to go. He actually GREW LARGER while I had him. I put the container where I held him inside out and sat down and watched him, and next thing you know he has jumped out and was headed for some leaves that had fallen on our porch. He was VERY lively and looked great. Have a good life little guy. <3

Name:  DSC00937.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  7.08 MBName:  DSC00941.JPG
Views: 244
Size:  7.29 MBName:  DSC00943.JPG
Views: 279
Size:  7.41 MBName:  DSC00947.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  7.33 MB

Nationality
    [United States]

Nice! They grow up so fast...literally!! I'm glad they look healthy.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Thread Information