Thread: Frogs need HELP please

Default Frogs need HELP please

Hello, I’m living in China and haven’t been able to find any vet that deals with frogs so would really appreciate some advice please!! Help save some beautiful frogs!

I have several large aquariums in my house & recently I was gifted a pair or green tree frogs. They arrived in the mail in a very inhumne way 😩😖 I don’t agree with what was done, but that’s what happened & now I have these frogs. I’ve kept numerous pets over the years, but never frogs and don’t have experience. So here’s the situation....

The arrived VERY stresses after what I assume was many days in the mail. Their skin looked dry with some black spots surrounded by pale rings mostly on the head. I immediately put in the enclosure and have mor or less left them alone, since I thought probably rest and quiet was best. The male is acting mor or less normal, hiding in the day and exploring at night. Eating some, not a ton, but otherwise not too bad other than the skin spots.

The female was shedding skin when she arrived. She’s burrowed into the moss and not moved at all for 3 days, not even at night. She has some whitish wounds on her nose (probably from being shipped) but no other obvious symptoms yet. Something about her not moving doesn’t seem right with me and I don’t want to ignore her until she gets really sick.

Can anyone recommend what I should do to help under these circumstances? I’ve included a pic of their tank and the male frog when he first arrived to show skin spots.

THANK YOU in advance for any and all help!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Frogs need HELP please

PS- I’m not entirely sure what kind of frogs these are & would appreciate some help with identification! I said Green, but now I’m thinking maybe Chinese gliding frogs? ...the female has black & white markings on her flanks

Attached is a pic of her soaking in some luke warm spring water. I think the spots on her side look like natura markings, the spots on her head look like injuries/disease? Could it be a fungus? I’m not sure. Sorry pic isn’t the best, I was keeping the room dark for her.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

OH my gosh that looks horrible. the blackish one doesnt look like the second one at all. the second one is either a green tree frog or a whites tree frog(WTF) i cant identify but if they r different you may need to put them in diff cages. a whites tree frog or green tree frog should act like the male. if its shedding you need to clean out a cage and put the female in. give it mealworms silkworms or crickets. give it shade but dont give it dirt there could be something in the dirt like small bugs. make sure to keep it humid and use only purified water. distille works too. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES GIVE IT TAP.(chlorine) tap water wont kill it but its really not good for it and may kill it. I will try to send my friend elly your way she/he has helped me so much on this forum.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

After looking at images of chinese gliding frogs that is probably what it is.( plus the fact that you live in china kinda helps). I would definetely keep going with this post but make another post about chinese gliding frogs because experts on those may look at that instead of Frogs need HELP please. i think you should not listen to me about humidity and food but look that stuff up. BUT YOU Need to put it in a glass cage. even if its smaller. wash it down dry it and spray some filtered water in and then put it in. my frog was sick once because of something in the dirt. also make sure to change water frequently. after a few days my frog got better.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I don't know what the species of your frog is, but the spots on top of the first frog don't look healthy. Excessive shedding can be a sign of some fungal infections. The white spot on the frog's nose looks like nose rub, like it's been rubbing its nose on walls trying to get out. I can't tell from the picture whether it looks infected or not, but not moving isn't a good sign. The frog might have some other, more general infection. If the nose is infected you can dab it with a dot of some antibiotic ointment that doesn't have painkillers in it. (Painkillers can kill frogs.)

Sadly I can't tell you what anti-fungals work for frogs or what dosage to give. I do know that with a certain fungal infection (chytrid, or "red leg") some people have had success raising the frog's temperature to 27C for over sixteen hours.
    I don't know that that would work against any other fungus. Specific signs of red leg are unusually red belly and legs, with broken blood vessels in later stages. Also this isn't a guarantee, it just lowers the death rate from 100%.

For temporary help, you can keep frogs strong enough to eat by letting them sit in an electrolyte solution, such as an unflavored drink sold for sick babies. We have one called Pedialyte here, I don't know what your version would be. As long as it contained sodium and potassium, no flavorings or colors it should work. That can't fix a frog's skin though.

It might be a good idea to move the frogs to a simpler tank for a while if possible so you can monitor them more easily and make sure they're eating. By the way, your tank is one of the most beautiful and amazing I've seen. Sadly it may take a through scrubbing and changing/discarding of some things to make sure that it's not carrying disease.

Thank you very much for the info! It was helpful. Theres good news that since last night they’ve been seeming to do better, the female was out exploring the tank last night after a long soak and seems to be resting morning

Thanks for your reply! They’re seeming a little better today, and back to their normal bright green color. No change on the spots strange spots. That’s a good idea to start a new thread on chinese gliders,I’ll try that today!

Thread Information