Thread: African Clawed Frog eye infection

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default African Clawed Frog eye infection

Anyone have experience with this kind of sore on an African Clawed Frog? I noticed it 2 days ago and it appears to be getting worse. I started with a 70% water change, and treated with aquarium salt, melafix and pimafix. Is there anything else I should look at doing? He's been flipping around kind of strangely, he moves very quickly like he's panicked so I assume he can't see out of that eye. He's almost 11 years old in a 30 gallon tank. I've also removed all most all of his decorations except one fake plant and a few hides in case something poked him. I'm thinking it was a cricket bite.

Any help would be appreciated.

I posted this on a Facebook group and all I got from an "Expert" was telling me this is going to kill my frog, And that his "Paycheck" is so large that he must know what he is doing. I am not looking for an "Expert Opinion", I am looking to hear from people with experience with these animals and these types of injuries or infections.

Name:  20171009_230229.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  2.82 MB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: African Clawed Frog eye infection

Hi mate best quarintine small tank this may help him settle within surroundings and also suggest restart metafix/primafix for 14 days with bathing for 1 hour treatment adding correct dosage not to strong (Its also suggested you can do 50/50 diluted to teespoon stre nght and add direct to eye before returning back to enclosure# no xpert this I read from somewhere# whats your current Nitrate levels keep changing water frequently and redose medicine accordingly. If nitrates are high the eye's likely to remain irratatedt
    Last edited by craig121; October 10th, 2017 at 05:42 AM.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Just re-read my post sorry its not that great* quarantine to a smaller holding tank no medicine just frequent conditioned water change's frog's happy leave* but frequent water change is also key to his recovery# you never posted your nitrate levels! ) once a day remove frog into tub hold's correct prescribed medicine dosage 1 hour each day 14 day dosage treatment# before returning holding tank quickly add 50/50 diluted dosage malafix/primafix via syringe or teespoon direct eye!unsure how long from what read this stuffs potent so can only cautious say 5-10 mins* watch frogs inneractions do not push boundries remember this is a 14 day programme no quick fix* my suggestions would be! Please whatever dosage you agree upon with the medicine tank or whether it be the direct 50/50 dilution air very very cautious side you have 14 days to remedy this so up the strenght each day ever so slightly this stuffs potent and from what read could harm frog if overdosed*

There would be no harm adding epsom salts wih medafix primafix for that 1 hr

Just get a container prefer lid with holes do not overfill keep frog JUST at eye level

Your biggest problem is dosage against your containment am sorry i cannot help you with this dont know container size you plan and i have not read the dosage requirement but do post back am sure there is somebody can help

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Important * you must Re-dose with every fresh daily treatment

Nationality
    [Canada]

First off thank you for taking the time to help me here. Now I will try to address everything I can. I have been treating the whole 30 gallon tank with 5ml per 10US gallon as specified on the bottles, for 3 days now, tonight will be the 4th dose. When I first noticed the eye I treated with the melafix only, I then did a 70% water change a few hours later, and re dosed for the changed water. Are you saying that this dose is going to be to much for him given that hes in that water all the time? This is the recommended dose as I have read on a number of different sources, but I want to be sure. I am also not sure about the smaller tank because of the added stress, moving him around so much and the fact that he has been in such a large tank for the past 3 years. I did not test the water before I did the water change, But I did do a test today and will attach the photos of the results so you can judge for yourself. I am a little worried about adding direct to the eye. I have been applying some ointment that my vet gave me for another frog that had an eye infection and it seems to be reducing the inflammation. it is Prisathal Eye Gel (Ophthalmic Gel) active ingredient is Fusidic Acid. I do appreciate your input and am not trying to argue I am simply bringing up my concerns and looking for some input.
    He is still eating well, I gave him an earth worm today (hasn't had any in years) and he snatched it right up, so I went and got him a night crawler and he took that right away as well. I am thinking the worms might give him some needed energy to fight this off.
    Thank you!

Name:  ammonia.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  36.0 KBName:  nitrate.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  38.9 KBName:  nitrite.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  40.8 KB

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I really have zero experiance treating frog illness was concerned for frogs wellbeing so hunted posts on internet# from the info you have given back may well help other experianced to add there knowledge# but I can only add the little info I read which always indicates when you treat with meds its always far better to have a hospital tank than treating the entire capacity! But thus being said you should remain positive with your own treatment plans providing you have a good plan #I agree you very much right tracks treatment and care so please continue for another 12 days before re-thinking# am so glad your paramiters are good and please continue the same care regarding your medication dosage via water change's at the MO# I cannot believe that xpert told you to euthenise these are lovely very hardy creatures and worse case scenario if he lost that eye he would adapt

with MEDS its always different with frogs as there skin is porou's maybe thats why what litterature is posted seems to relate to timely baths but the manufacturer of melafix has stated its safe fot ACF * but not to fret malafix is natural although very potent# not long ago watched some guy youtube treating his pacman frogs eye's using pure honey LOL

Nationality
    [Canada]

Its funny you say that about the honey, I watched that very same video a few months ago. I purchased 2 Helens Tree Frogs (gorgeous animals) and unfortunately both arrived and developed eye infections due to the housing and transport. Sadly I had to have both animals put to sleep it was a very disheartening situation, but before they got that bad I was searching everywhere trying to find a solution to the issue, I even soaked them in a honey bath. I am actually using the gel the vet gave me for them for my ACF.

Thread Information