Thread: Newbie Frog Owner

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Newbie Owner-Crazy Story

Hello!

I am new to this forum (just posted this on the introduction page as well) and was only recently introduced to the world of frogs when I found one in my fittonia plant! I'd purchased the plant from a grocery store a few weeks ago and had it on my nightstand. I had no idea about the frog til I brought it to the bathtub to give it a good soak and surprised the little guy (not sure who was more surprised, actually). I couldn't figure out what species he was and didn't want to release him without knowing, so we held on to him for a few days in a critter keeper and got him some crickets. My daughters got pretty attached, and honestly, so did I. It seemed a bit like he was destined to live with us. So we bought a tank and all the furnishings last night. All I knew was he's a tree frog, which I figured out when he scaled my glass shower door! Other than that, he didn't really match any local species that I could find. Today I did some more research and learned my plant is from a nursery in the Dominican Republic, and my frog has the exact markings of a Hispaniola Common Tree Frog. I'm so glad we did not set him free here! I've been trying to find info about raising them in captivity, but I'm not coming up with much. If anyone has any insight that would be great. I think fittonia plants do well in terrariums, so I may have to try that. I know almost nothing about frogs, but I'm excited to learn more here. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Newbie Owner-Crazy Story

Hi! I did a little reading and I think I can help. I would recommend a 20 gallon tank minimum, 30 being a better fit since they can probably grow to around 2 inches, maybe a little more. You'll want to keep temperature at around around 80-85, and humidity around 70-80%. I'd recommend a digital thermometer/Hygrometer to track them, its a bit more reliable than analog. Some branches from a pet store/website that will hold up in a humid environment, live or fake plants(If you're interested in using live plants I can add a post explaining everything about setup and stuff and recommend plants. Some people just rinse plants in water before putting thrm into vivarium, others rinse/ bathe in a bleach/water mix as detailed here:
    http://www.neherpetoculture.com/plan...singprocedures
    ) and some places for them to hide.
    You'll need a water dish for the frog to soak in(a reptile dish works well for this), a spray bottle to regulate humidity, and a dechlorinator(reptisafe or amquel or similar product). You'll need to remove the soiled water and replace it each day and check around for poop, which you should remove whenever you see it. This will help keep your frog healthy.
    Diet wise, appropriately sized crickets and roaches are probably your best bet, but there are other options.
    Sorry this is kinda long. Good luck with your new frog!
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank You! That was very helpful!

Nationality
    [Hong Kong]

Cool find. Remember to use dechlorinated water. I think minimum 10 gallon tank would be fine with 18 inch height. Bigger the better though
    Frogs owned:
    3 red eyed tree
    3 amazon milk
    3 fringe
    1 malayan leaf
    1 bushveld rain frog
    2 tripirion petasatus
    2 honey white's tree

Boarding:
    2 waxy monkey tree
    3 anotheca spinosa
    2 fringe