Thread: Hello there!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Hello there! Newbie Owner - Crazy Story

Hello!

I am new to this forum and was only recently introduced to the world of frogs when I found one in my fittonia plant! I'd purchased the plant from a grocery store a few weeks ago and had it on my nightstand. I had no idea about the frog til I brought it to the bathtub to give it a good soak and surprised the little guy (not sure who was more surprised, actually). I couldn't figure out what species he was and didn't want to release him without knowing, so we held on to him for a few days in a critter keeper and got him some crickets. My daughters got pretty attached, and honestly, so did I. It seemed a bit like he was destined to live with us. So we bought a tank and all the furnishings last night. All I knew was he's a tree frog, which I figured out when he scaled my glass shower door! Other than that, he didn't really match any local species that I could find. Today I did some more research and learned my plant is from a nursery in the Dominican Republic, and my frog has the exact markings of a Hispaniola Common Tree Frog. I'm so glad we did not set him free here! I've been trying to find info about raising them in captivity, but I'm not coming up with much. If anyone has any insight that would be great (I'll post on the tree frog page as well). I think fittonia plants do well in terrariums, so I may have to try that. I know almost nothing about frogs, but I'm excited to learn more here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information