Thread: what kind of filter should i use if i want to use sand for the bottom of my half aquarium half terrarium tank?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default what kind of filter should i use if i want to use sand for the bottom of my half aquarium half terrarium tank?

hi, ive previously worked with gravel when making my previous aquarium, but would like to add sand as well as a waterfall feature which I know will be difficult with the sand...
    any imput and other advice would be greatly appreciated, also I want to maybe add fish but could this be harmful to the frogs as the water has to be more than 5 inches from substrate to add fish...
    these are also red eyed tree frogs which do not know how to swim well and I know to add a large chunk of wood in the water, as well some other stuff,so they don't drown.
    also would I be safe using any run of the mill fish cleanser to dechlorinate water or should I get something in particular?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: what kind of filter should i use if i want to use sand for the bottom of my half aquarium half terrarium tank?

Hi again! First off, sand is pretty much never a good idea for frogs, as it is an impaction risk. Gravel can also be an impaction risk, if it is small enough for them to swallow. If you want to use gravel, you should take care to get pieces far too large for them to eat. The safest substrates are dirt or coco fiber. Some people just use damp paper towels switched out daily(I don't like this method. I feel like its a lot of work and it doesnt look good to me.).
    On to the waterfall: the thing about this is that with a waterfall you need a false bottom, drainage, pump, etc, and you would probably need to make a new background with expanding foam so you can shape a waterfall area into the background. I suppose you could also just have a water bottom with lots of space and plants(fake or real) up above for climbing and wood for climbing out easily(I would recommend mopani wood because it sinks in water.). You could also make an island using a turtle dock, or make a paludarium.
    Fish can be used in a setup, as long as you set it up for them and make sure they are healthy before you add them to your terrarium/vivarium.
    I actually typically use amquel dechlorinator most of the time, which is intended for fish. I also got a bottle of reptisafe recently, I wanted to try it out. It includes electrolytes and a little calcium. I'd say you'd be fine with either.
    Here's good example of a very beautiful paludarium setup that includes some fish.
    http://www.frogforum.net/showthread....lon-Paludarium
    Edit: Please feel free to ask if you have any questions! I hope this helps!
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: what kind of filter should i use if i want to use sand for the bottom of my half aquarium half terrarium tank?

no no, i was going to use sand forvmy under water portion the land portion will consist of coco fiber

Thread Information