Thread: Gravel Filter?

Default Gravel Filter?

I'v been wondering about filters lately,and i'v asked some others on this site and asked some friends,and I was wondering,would and undergravel filter work?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Gravel Filter?

Quote Originally Posted by DoodlezFroggs View Post
    I'v been wondering about filters lately,and i'v asked some others on this site and asked some friends,and I was wondering,would and undergravel filter work?
    Gravel filters are inferior to external filters but are suitable for your needs,just be cautious the size of gravel that can be swallowed

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Undergravel filters do work, but the problem with them is that they require gravel. Most Xenopus keepers avoid gravel, because the frogs can ingest it. Of course, others (myself included) report having kept the frogs on gravel for years with no issues.
    One reason that undergravel filters have faded in popularity is that they trap debris in the gravel and under the filter plate, and are tedious to clean.
    My suggestion would be to forego the gravel, and use a sponge filter or small submersible filter instead.

I do not intend on using gravel,i'd never do that to my lil' frogs!
    if not a gravel filter,what Submersible filter would be best?

Can I ask why you want to use a submersible filter? A canister would probably be the best but I don't know if it really fits being a " submersible filter"

Yeah,I suppose your right about the canister filter,I will try to go out and by one soon.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Yeah,I suppose your right about the canister filter,I will try to go out and by one soon.
    If your going cannistor route try ensure its rated to atleast the size of your tank or it will struggle to keep biological balance"this is where the external cannistors are in a league of there own��not only are they large and powerful but they can contain an array of subtrate that will keep the tank very balanced" am currenttly running a flueval (250) but my tanks 200ltr and its purs like a kitten tests have all been pfect

Ah,a little costly though,but if its for my frogs forget about the price.
    All I want is for what is best for them. I plan on getting silk aquarium plants,will this be suitable?
    Thanks!

Also,I was wondering what hiding cave to use,one thats big and open for both of them to hid in at the same time.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Am sure silk plants would be suitable*I would recommend live plants many reasons" firstly they will help biologic balance are excellent for competing with dreaded algae * if you add in LONG stalk versions of https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/XL-Anubias-...cAAOSw3utY7T1z these are ideal ANUBIAS are very hardy do not require planting just fix to object preferably drift wood which is my next bit of advice * drift wood pre boiling soaked source from pet shop* no sharp edges* is ideal and gives a very natural look to tank especially with the ANUBIAS atached' the plants help fill the open void to the top and the frogs will love nothing better than basking on there sturdy leaves # if your lucky source solid piece wood shaped like a bridge where the frogs go for there quit time# its not enclosed i can still see right through which i believe is important as if you give them total enclosure u will see much less of them

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Will post enclodure photos ��

Once I get finished,yes!
    as I said I have them both in temporary enclosures. The substrate I have are River rocks,will this be well to grow live plants?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Yes the plants specialty Anubias will be quite happy you may need to tie there long roots to the rocks * my Anubias roughly last 4/6 Months before tiring as ideally the should be given some plant food which am reluctant to add due to frogs pouris skin"

Ah,I was planning on getting driftwood,but I fear that it may dirty my water if I don't prepare it correctly,I will have to do some research into it.
    I was also wondering,how do I catch them when I do transition them,I fear my way may not be that good *Note:I don't use a net*.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Ah,I was planning on getting driftwood,but I fear that it may dirty my water if I don't prepare it correctly,I will have to do some research into it.
    I was also wondering,how do I catch them when I do transition them,I fear my way may not be that good *Note:I don't use a net*.
    [SIZE=4]Do not source just any drift wood either visit aquaruim shops or go hunting on ebay' dont be afraid of wood just boil/simmer large pan 4/6 hours then leave 24hrs in same to brew# absolute must no sharp edge's I got very lucky and found the perfect piece#but even then I had a wood file out to round many edge's# transportation is advised a large shrimp net# reasons are there limbs will not pass through the smallest netting! But in my experiance i have simply used a normal fish net but my frogs do not struggle so way up your options* but best play safe for price of large shrimp net

Thread Information