Thread: Can anyone identify this tree frog?

Jayne Irlam

Question Can anyone identify this tree frog?

I have aquired two frogs which were sold to me under the name of 'Tanzanian striped treefrogs' and foolishly assumed I would be able to find more information on their care on the Internet (previously I have only ever kept oriental fire-bellied toads). However, there's nothing out there under that name - can anyone identify the scientific name of this frog for me? Hopefully, I have successfully attached a picture.

They are nocturnal, resting during the day with eyes closed in a hollow 'tree'. Around 11 pm - ish they emerge, usually not together, and are very swift when they get going, running effortlessly over glass and generally climbing. They measure about an inch in length and are a caramel brown colour with a wide single stripe of chocolate brown running nose to rump, and down each rear leg. Their pupils run vertically. They have slender bodies and the typical round pads to the digits which suggests they are some form of tree frog. They like to soak for long periods in water and seem to like daytime temperatures in the mid 70s F with high humidity.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, so I can make sure they get the right care.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Can anyone identify this tree frog?

Welcome to the forum Jayne. Do you have a photo from the side? I would guess they are a reed frog of some sort. Terry Gampper is our resident African Frog expert . Darryn Rogers might be able to ID them too - he lives in South Africa.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

SethD

It is some type of Afrixalus species, very likely Afrixalus fornasini. Most of the ones in the trade have white stripes, but they can be two different shades of brown like yours too.

Jayne Irlam

Smile Re: Can anyone identify this tree frog?

Many thanks for your feedback. guys. John, I attach another picture which hopefully will give you a better idea of what these frogs look like from the side. How could I get in touch with Terry Gamper if I wanted to pick his brains?

Thanks for your ideas too Seth. I will have a look at Afrixalus fornasini. Someone on another site suggested Heterixalus fornasini, but I believe all the species in this genus are native to Madagascar, and we do know that these are African.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I've let Terry know so hopefully we'll hear from him.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne Irlam View Post
    Many thanks for your feedback. guys. John, I attach another picture which hopefully will give you a better idea of what these frogs look like from the side. How could I get in touch with Terry Gamper if I wanted to pick his brains?

Thanks for your ideas too Seth. I will have a look at Afrixalus fornasini. Someone on another site suggested Heterixalus fornasini, but I believe all the species in this genus are native to Madagascar, and we do know that these are African.
    Hi,

I guess I found you

I noticed the vertical pupil in the photo, that is a feature of Afrixalus (Hyperolius has horizontal pupils). The distinguishing feature of Afrixalus fornasinii is a broad, dark brown vertebral band terminating in a point between the eyes. All species of Heterixalus are on the island of Madagascar.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SethD View Post
    It is some type of Afrixalus species, very likely Afrixalus fornasini. Most of the ones in the trade have white stripes, but they can be two different shades of brown like yours too.
    Great job, Seth. You're right. All, I was able to see in the photo were the pupils and the brown coloration. I looked at my African field guides and A. fornasini was the only choice. The stripes on this individual are very faint, most pictures I have seen, the stripes were very bold. I wonder if the stripes form as the frog matures.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Jayne Irlam

Thumbs up Re: Can anyone identify this tree frog?

Thank you so much, Terry, for your feedback re my mystery frog. As you say, Seth correctly identified this frog as A. fornasini. That's a pretty impressive knowlege of herpetology. As soon as I did some research on this frog, I realised that was what I had. And your input has confirmed this. They do indeed have a broad, dark brown vertical band terminating in a point between the eyes. I have a feeling I have got at least one sub adult, hence maybe the stripes are not fully dilineated, as you suggest.

I have now reserched the basic husbandry for these kind of frogs, so now I can ensure they get the right care.

Many thanks for your help in this.

Thread Information