Thread: Toad hopping into cage wall violently

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Toad hopping into cage wall violently

I have two bufo alvarius toads, in a 40 gallon, they are about one and a half. As of recently the larger toad Steven has been waking me up at night because she is hopping into the wall or trying to climb up the side. She will also splash into her pond really loud and is just generally really active.

She feels like she has a lump in her left side and not her right so I assume has an impact ion. I gave her a warm bath already with no luck. She doesnt seem lethargic or bloated. I have been feeding them dusted crickets mostly and earth worms.

There substrate is dirt with peat moss on top of it. They have an under tank heater and the other toad seems normal. She doesn't seem to be discolored maybe a bit pale and skinny but nothing to weird. She seems to be eating some but its hard to tell. This morning she definitely tried to get one but their was some weird stuff going on with swallowing. The earth worms I put in there typically disappear pretty quick but she doesn't seem that hungry.

Does this seem normal for impact ion or is it an environmental issue like temp or humidity? I'm going to change their dirt and clan their cage today to see if that changes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Toad hopping into cage wall violently

Hi! Welcome to the forum. I hope I can help. You could try covering the back and sides of the tank to calm them down a little if you haven't already. I have Woodhouse's toads. The larger smarter toad occadionally tries to escape. She is devious, especially compared to my other smaller toad. For now, just monitor them. How long has this behaviour been going? My toads usually wig out for a while after I make major changes to their tank. Do you have lots of hiding places for them? Not that its easy to hide an 8 inch toad lol. You can continue giving them warm baths(80f or so, no higher than 85.), and you can try adding a drop or two of honey to help get things going. Ive also read horn worms have a laxative effect. You might want to order some and let the suspected impaction case eat a bunch. I hope this helps. Good luck!
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [United States]

I gave her a second bath and she really seems to have calmed down. She still doesn't really seem lethargic but she isnt eating. The lump in her side is fairly large and hard. It seems to move around slightly but its hard to tell. I gave her some olive oil to help try and pass it if its an impaction. Is there any way to tell if its cancer or can only a vet determine that?

Nationality
    [United States]

I suppose there might be a way, but I don't know it. I feel like the vet might best be able to tell... If the frog isn't eating now something is wrong. It sounds like an impaction to me, I think you are right. Keep up the baths, and massage the lump very gently. Try the honey bath maybe. I misread earlier, and after reviewing your first post and not missing whole parts this time, it definitely sounds like impaction or some other digestive issue. If you can't get the toad to pass it , the vet will probably be the best option. When was the last time your toad poo'd?
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [United States]

I have not seen her defecate even after the warm baths. She ate a cricket this morning but shes not super interested in food, she wont eat earth worms. Shes still acting pretty feisty with trying to escape. The lump seems to have around a bit so i am hoping it is an impaction.

The bottom of their stomach appears slightly red in places (which may be from trying to escape) their feet also look a little purple, I cant tell if this is normal for their species or if they are suffering from red leg syndrome. Both toads seem to have purplish feet but only one seems to have a slightly red belly. Their also seems to be quite a bit of black which may be from bruising. Their are no other symptoms other than hyperactivity and the lump, and possibly the coloring.

The toad seems to go between being relatively calm to freaking out throughout the day. Is it possible the toad is not happy with the bedding or temperature and throwing a fit? Hyperactivity doesn't really seem to be a symptom of anything I can find.

Usually these toads will burrow in the winter for weeks at a time but for some reason neither of them have really been able to burrow they remain mostly above ground.

Nationality
    [United States]

Is the substrate slightly moist? My toads just stand around on dry dirt. When I first got my Woodhouse's toads they freaked out and jumped into the side a ton. The larger one busted her nose open doing it. Even when she did that there wasn't lot of redness or bruising, but Alvarius is larger and your toad may be freaking out more than mine did. It is definitely possible something in the enclosure is bothering them, but it also sounds like an impaction. Try the warm bath with honey. It may also be good to give the toad an electrolyte bath, to keep it strong. I'll edit this in a sec with the recipe/ratio for that.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [United States]

The substrate is moist. Almost too moist when i stick my hand in it it feels very dense. Maybe too dense to burrow? Im no longer positive its an impaction i feel or maybe an organ or their undigested food. When I feel the other toad he seems to have a similar lump except closer to his spine and harder to find and a bit smaller.

Like I said there is a slight redness but not really much, the feet might be more purple than normal but its hard to say. I will upload a picture in a moment. I am changing their substrate now with a dry substrate instead of the expandable brick kind.

Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  Steven.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  3.25 MB Here is a picture of Stevens stomach if you look really closely you can see a small red dot in the center of her stomach. Her feet seem purplish but this doesnt seem that odd compared to other pictures I have seen online.

I am not jumping to the conclusion of red leg yet since she is still eating and not being lethargic (she ate like six wax worms in a row!) Im also unsure of it being impaction either. Hopefully she enjoys the new substrate and ill monitor her for any other symptoms.

This is a reference pic of another toad.

Name:  110000.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  127.7 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Those are some pretty toads! Anyway , red leg is usually widespread, looking kinda like a rash. Based on that picture that looks like some minor irritation, and it usually starts in the thigh/pelvis area. I wouldn't worry about red leg at this stage unless the redness starts spreading.
    I'd like to see a picture of their enclosure if possible. You might be right about it being something about the environment. Only one of the toads is ramming the side of the tank?
    That is so weird because its the same with my toads. The larger one consistently tries occasionally to escape, while the other doesn't do much, preferring to just relax most of the time, unless the larger one upsets her by trying to stand on top of her or jumps into her.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  1506974831329122691231.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  4.13 MB the substrate is dry is that ok?

Nationality
    [United States]

I'd spray it down. Its supposed to be a little moist, but "not so moist that water comes out when you squeeze a handful". I would add another inch of substrate, since these are big toads and I'd recommend adding a fake plant or two. I like using fake plants for my toads, since they tend to mess up live plants with burrowing. Do they fit well into the hides they have there?
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [United States]

I added more substrate. They seemed happier but still a bit confused. I'm going to upgrade my undertank heater and see if that helps for winter.

Thread Information