Thread: Red eyed tree frogs died pls help

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Red eyed tree frogs died pls help

I was the owner of 3 red eyed tree frogs, 2 males and a femaleName:  IMG_20161201_235917.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  1.81 MB
    I know for a fact the 2 males were captive bred but I wasn't sure about the female as I bought her from petsmart.
    I would like to know what I can do to avoid their death next time.
    they were housed in a 12" x 12" x 18" exoterra tank, with coco husk substrate and an all water bottom with a foam backround that was handmade and various plants.
    I would leave the mister(reptifogger) on for about 6 hours from 8in the morning to 3 in the afternoon and would put a bit in at night as well.
    they had a uv bulb and also a bulb to provide for the plants.
    on the bottom of the tank there was a very large piece of wood nestled in the rocks under the water so that if the frogs were to fall off thay could get back up.
    there were plenty of palnts which were some bromiliads some types of vinery and also some neroregilias as well some bamboo.
    I would often be cleaning the water because the crickets legs and bodies would get caught in the filter.
    this may have stressed them out if anyone can help I would be greatful.
    the crickets were also fed and powdered.
    I'm not sure how often they ate cause I never saw them do it.
    any help is great.
    Last edited by caonfused frog owner; October 3rd, 2017 at 01:54 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red eyed tree frogs died pls help

Do you know the temperature of the tank? What kind of water did you use? Bottled, decholrinated tap?

Nationality
    [United States]

the temperature in the day was always around 75 to 82 depending on the day at night it was always 75, humidity was around 80% I used bottled water I got from a jug each day but I used fish dechlorinator.

Nationality
    [United States]

I also had the 2 frogs for about 3 months before I bought the female, everything went south after that...

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi! After reading through posts, I have a question: did you put your new frog, the one from Petsmart in a 30 day quarantine before adding them to the tank with the other frogs? This is a common practice to ensure thr new arrival is healthy and wont make your frog sick. Sometimes petsmart doesn't take good care of their frogs. The frog may have gotten the other frogs sick. Did the new one die first, followed by the other ones? Since they've already lasses, pictures arent a possibility, which makes the culprit harder to figure out, but we can still try to figure it out. Was there any redness on the underside of the frogs?
    I'm really sorry for your loss.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

7. This member thanks daybr4ke for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Meant to say already passed. Sorry.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't remember any redness on the underside of the frogs but her legs in particular were red and no I didn't put the frogs in a 30 day quarantine tank... I was really just running with general info when I first started, I rebuilt that tank like 5 times before I had what I needed... I didn't even know they needed moisture when I first started, but I did get a fogger before I got them so.

Nationality
    [United States]

and yes she was the first to die, they all died at the same time well followed by about 6 hour a part from each other but they all died belly down legs and arms tucked in, at first I thought it was hunger because the female was very skinny, I left for a trip and had my dad take care of them, he said they were fine and eating about 3-5 crickets a day, it happened about 2 days after I got back from the trip. it was around December too. Also the female did get hurt, her leg broke and I had to take her to an exotics doctor who told me to give her some medicine which I gave every day and soaked her leg in sugar water, one of the males also had a prolapse when I first got him which was fixed with sugar water soaking and staying in a separate clean tank with a water dish and paper towels for substrate, the female also was in the same setup for her leg...

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah, unfortunately many people don't learn about stuff like that until after it's too late. Places like petco and petsmart dont tell you about that stuff when you buy an animal.
    It sounds to me like it may have been some sort of sickness passed from the new frog to the others. I suppose coincidence is possible, but the timing makes me suspicious. You said the legs were red on the female, if they were very red it could have been Red Leg Disease.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [United States]

I had heard thats what it could have been but i had ignored the signs

Nationality
    [United States]

All you can really do now is learn from what happened, so that next time your frogs live long, healthy lives.
    Also, I saw your post here:
    http://www.frogforum.net/showthread....d-after-2-days
    Before I add some ideas on getting your hands on some red eyes, I just want to run a couple things by you. I might suggest getting some australian green Treefrogs(also called Dumpy Treefrogs) instead of Red Eyes. Red Eyes are a rather delicate frog compared to the Dumpy Treefrog and many other species. They're also a bit easier to find Captive Bred Babies of. I understand if you like Red Eyes for their coloration and you aren't interested in other frogs, though.
    No matter what frog you end up choosing to get, next time if anything goes wrong or is even just a little weird you can just make a thread here. We'll try and help figure out if something is wrong and what you can do about it.
    When it comes to ordering reptiles and amphibians I usually only trust LLLReptile and Josh's Frogs. Josh's frogs has a listing for red eyes, but it doesn't say captive bred.
    LLLReptile has two separate listings for red eyes: one for adults and one for captive bred babies. The captive bred babies are out of stock right now, but if sign up your email to get an email when theyre back in stock they WILL email you when they restock(they message me every time they restock a certain frog). Heres the page for the captive babies:
    https://www.lllreptile.com/products/...yed-tree-frogs
    Good luck!
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [United States]

thank you so much, that was most likely my main issue was the female I bought from petsmart, I also know they were very delicate frogs and ive learned I shouldn't leave them alone or mess with their tank often, it really stresses them out, thank you for the imput on the breeders it will really help.

Quote Originally Posted by caonfused frog owner View Post
    I was the owner of 3 red eyed tree frogs, 2 males and a femaleName:  IMG_20161201_235917.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  1.81 MB
    I know for a fact the 2 males were captive bred but I wasn't sure about the female as I bought her from petsmart.
    I would like to know what I can do to avoid their death next time.
    they were housed in a 12" x 12" x 18" exoterra tank, with coco husk substrate and an all water bottom with a foam backround that was handmade and various plants.
    I would leave the mister(reptifogger) on for about 6 hours from 8in the morning to 3 in the afternoon and would put a bit in at night as well.
    they had a uv bulb and also a bulb to provide for the plants.
    on the bottom of the tank there was a very large piece of wood nestled in the rocks under the water so that if the frogs were to fall off thay could get back up.
    there were plenty of palnts which were some bromiliads some types of vinery and also some neroregilias as well some bamboo.
    I would often be cleaning the water because the crickets legs and bodies would get caught in the filter.
    this may have stressed them out if anyone can help I would be greatful.
    the crickets were also fed and powdered.
    I'm not sure how often they ate cause I never saw them do it.
    any help is great.

I am sorry for your loss No one seemed to mention that a 12x12x18 tank is to small for 3 adult red eyes. a minimum 18x18x24 would be the smallest i go. Also unless you are wanting to induce breeding leaving the fogger on for that long is to much humidity if the tank is sealed. How is your ventilation and temperatures? Also red eyes have to have clean water which is why alot of people use a water dish for ease of water changes unless you have a cannister filter that can cycle the water quickly. But i think the main issue that was talked about was not quarantining the female you bought. But they great thing is that you learned from this and will be a better frogger in the future

Thread Information