Thread: Would a sponge filter work for my ACF? Also I need additional care tips.

Default Would a sponge filter work for my ACF? Also I need additional care tips.

I need help with my ACF's,I am going to place them both in a 20 gallon long (They are in separate 10 gallons) and I wanna know the correct tips and what would be the best equipment for them.
    I know some advance and basic care,but it wouldn't hurt to restate them just to be sure

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Would a sponge filter work for my ACF? Also I need additional care tips.

Personally I use a Hang On Back filter. they make these with adjustable flow so you can overfilter without really stressing your frogs. My bigger guy doesn't seem to mind the water movement though, he often hangs out in his plant next to the output, but each frog is an individual. How many frogs do you have? Make sure there are no gaps where your frog can get out. You also do not need a heater if you are using one. Mine love a varied diet, shrimp pellets, xenopus pellets, salmon pellets, fresh ( frozen/thawed) tilapa, and frozen/thawed brine shrimp are some of the things I have fed. Make sure to offer hides, don't use gravel, and make sure any plants used are very soft. Without more specific questions this is really all of the help i can think to offer. Sorry.

4. This member thanks Paradox for this post:

Default Re: Would a sponge filter work for my ACF? Also I need additional care tips.

I'v heard about thoughs,I do not use a Heater,i'v had my frog,Pepe,for around 3 years and I am a little experienced,she had a ACF tankmate,but while I was cleaning their tank 3 years ago,the other jumped out.
    She is more of a shy type and so is the other ACF I plan on putting with her.I want to use River Rock from a nearby creek,is this safe,if so,how do I clean the rocks? *Note:I will not use bleach or dish soup to clean the rocks.*
    Also,I would like to get them some tank mates,would another ACF be good for a 20 gallon long?I plan on getting an apple snail and ghost shrimp as a cleaning crew,I know that they might get eaten,but their so darn cheap!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sponge filter works well. Too much water current can disturb the frogs. Like most aquatic animals, they have a lateral line system that senses changes in the current which can mean food is nearby. They have poor eyesight. In the wild they often live i murky water. ACFs are both predators and scavengers. Keep them around 70(F).
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Thread Information