Thread: Your pacman's diet

Default Your pacman's diet

Has anyone used commercial foods sold and formulated specifically for pacman frogs? Like the one by Zoo Med, or the pellets by Hikari? How do they like them?

If anyone cares to, share your pacman feeding schedule please. I feed no commercial diets (yet), and superworm, crickets and a pinky on occasion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Your pacman's diet

I'm curious about pacman pellets, actually. I plan to buy some soon for testing purposes, since it seems a lot of users have trouble buying and/or keeping feeders. I have a gif somewhere of the pellets being fed to a toad.I'll have to dig it up.
    All I can really say from what I've read is that apparently some frogs like it others..less so.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

I don't do commercial diets and never plan to.

My Pacman gets dubia roaches, night crawlers, and hornworms, primarily. Night crawlers are hit or miss with him; some days he'll grab them off the floor or tongs immediately, other days he'll try to bury his entire face to get away from the worm I'm holding there.

He seems to prefer blue hornworms over green and I'm not sure why, as it's the same feeder that's just been fed slightly different food mix; maybe the blue ones taste different. I'm not about to test that theory myself, however.

He won't eat every day (he just ignores food if it's put in) and but will usually take food every other day.

5. This member thanks Subdolus for this post:

I don't have a pacman frog yet but when Ido obtain one I plan on feeding nightcrawlers as a staple as I always have them on hand for my other animals. For the vitamin schedule this is a good topic to look at.

I have never heard of commercial pellets so I cannot speak on behalf of them.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I have never used commercial foods but from what I understand there is nothing wrong with them. Some are better then others but again I'm not sure which ones are the better ones because I have always chose to give live feeders, if it isn't moving my frogs aren't eating it. With mine when they are babies I feed gut loaded crickets and small nightcrawler pieces as a staple with wax worms and butter worms as treats, sometimes if I can find small enough hornworms I will give them those to as a treat. sometimes they are picky and wont eat the small worm pieces but I think this is because they don't move enough when they are cut very small, you almost have to more less annoy them with it to get them to eat it. Once they are big enough to eat lets say half a nightcrawler this turns into there main staple and I keep feeding the other things as treats and at this point I will start to also give silkworms, I find it hard to find tiny silkworms that's why I don't give them to the babies. Once they are adults all of mine pretty much stopped eating crickets all together, my male Ornate will eat them every so often but he will only eat a couple and then will turn away. I believe they feel crickets at this point are to small and take to long to fill them up so they prefer a bigger meal. As adults I will give dead fuzzies once a month or every 2 months as treat. When they are babies I offer food every night even if they don't eat it, then once they are juveniles it goes to every second night sometimes it will take them 3 days in between feedings for them to be hungry again and then when they are adults mine are happy to be fed one big meal once a week. Crickets, night crawlers and roaches should make up the staple part of there diet ( I cant get roaches here or I would feed them those ) and all the other things should only be offered as treats. Out of the treats from what I understand silkworms and phoenix worms have the most protein and less fat then the others,i cant get phoenix worms or I would use those also. All the rest contain very high amounts of fat so they are not good to feed all the time, and those big fat hornworms contain a lot of water content which if fed to much will give the frog diarrhea. Hope this helped you out abit, sorry I couldn't be more help with the commercial diet but there is some people that swear by the stuff.

Where to buy nightcrawlers from?

I found some retailers online that sell nightcrawlers (not red wigglers). Nightcrawlers are 4-5 inches in length. Longer than them. Is that okay for pacman's of all ages?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You can cut them in half if they're a young frog. If you want to find them at retail so you dont have to order them, you can check bait and tackle shops, reptile stores, and even wal mart in some places has them, Ive heard. I get mine at a reptile supply store. Just make sure they're live and not dyed. Sometimes they dye them colors for fishing. Not something you want your frogs eating.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Thread Information