Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Queries regarding whites tree frog.

Default Queries regarding whites tree frog.

Hi everyone. I've got a few queries regarding my frogs.

1. Is my frog considered adult or juv? Want to know if I should be feeding them daily like juv or twice weekly like adults.

2. My tank humidity is from high 70s-80s. Will it harm the frog? I'm having them for a week, been eating daily.

3. How do I lower my tank humidity. Tank is water based and I'm located at singapore which has average humidity of 70%.

Thabk you!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Queries regarding whites tree frog.

Is your frog a male? If so it looks like it's getting close to grown. Maybe feed every other day? It seems to be a healthy weight though I'm just guessing by looking.

I know a lower range of humidity is suggested in many places, but that doesn't sound too bad. Some of these frogs come from Indonesia which has an average of 70-90% humidity. I think the problem with high humidity in small tanks is that it can become stagnant and breed bacteria. Make sure your tank has good ventilation. You could try pointing a fan at the top of the tank.

Or if you have a tank with water on the bottom, you could try replacing the water with another form of substrate like coconut husk.

4. This member thanks elly for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Is your frog a male? If so it looks like it's getting close to grown. Maybe feed every other day? It seems to be a healthy weight though I'm just guessing by looking.

I know a lower range of humidity is suggested in many places, but that doesn't sound too bad. Some of these frogs come from Indonesia which has an average of 70-90% humidity. I think the problem with high humidity in small tanks is that it can become stagnant and breed bacteria. Make sure your tank has good ventilation. You could try pointing a fan at the top of the tank.

Or if you have a tank with water on the bottom, you could try replacing the water with another form of substrate like coconut husk.
    im not sure of the sex though. I do hear occasional croaking lasting 4-5 times. I don't know which of them is croaking and my tank light is off at night, so I don't really know which and couldn't see if the skin under the the mouth is inflating. I didn't know is close to full grown already, pictures I see online really looks a lot bigger. Haha.

Oh I see. Im really worried about the high humidity as websites suggested around 60s. Glad to hear that they'll be fine at high humidity. For the fan wise, which direction should I place. Blow in, blow out or blowing across the screen lid at the top?

i won't be changing to substrate because I wanted to have fish at the bottom. Haha

One more question. Should I get Turkistan roach or dubia roach for my whites. Which will be more suitable?

Nationality
    [United States]

The one in the picture might be a male. Is the other one(or other ones?) bigger than the one in the picture?
    Also, a lot of resources mention the 50-60% humidity range. I found one that said a range from one end to the other of 30% to 70% was best. If normal humidity over there is 70%, 60-70% humidity would probably be a safe range. I might consider removing the underwater heater to lower humidity.
    As for the roaches, thats a matter of personal opinion. I like Dubias, but I have to admit they take a while to get the colony going. I like their temperament. They're slower than turkestan roaches, but they also grow slower and reproduce a slower. I mostly got dubias because they were locally available. One thing I don't like about them is they burrow into the substrate pretty fast.
    Another difference between them is Dubias hold their eggs inside a shell-like egg sac called an oocetha that the mother carries inside her abdomen. Turkestan roaches lay eggs everywhere instead.
    Turkestans don't really burrow from what I've read.
    They are also called "Red Runners". Ive also heard they may have a bit less chitin than Dubias. I would say either is a great choice.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

8. This member thanks daybr4ke for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    The one in the picture might be a male. Is the other one(or other ones?) bigger than the one in the picture?
    Also, a lot of resources mention the 50-60% humidity range. I found one that said a range from one end to the other of 30% to 70% was best. If normal humidity over there is 70%, 60-70% humidity would probably be a safe range. I might consider removing the underwater heater to lower humidity.
    As for the roaches, thats a matter of personal opinion. I like Dubias, but I have to admit they take a while to get the colony going. I like their temperament. They're slower than turkestan roaches, but they also grow slower and reproduce a slower. I mostly got dubias because they were locally available. One thing I don't like about them is they burrow into the substrate pretty fast.
    Another difference between them is Dubias hold their eggs inside a shell-like egg sac called an oocetha that the mother carries inside her abdomen. Turkestan roaches lay eggs everywhere instead.
    Turkestans don't really burrow from what I've read.
    They are also called "Red Runners". Ive also heard they may have a bit less chitin than Dubias. I would say either is a great choice.
    ive only got 2 frogs at the momment. Green and blue. Green is the one I took a picture with the measurement. Blue one is slightly larger. Maybe around 2.5", couldn't get a picture with measurement for the blue as it keeps trying to eat the measuring tape.

I dont have any underwater heater. It's also the raining season over here thus the higher humidity. I don't have any idea how to lower it.

I usually feed them with tongs or in bare glass tank. So burrowing isn't a problem. Which roach among the 2 is easier to care, breed, less escapes, less smell?

Some photos of them
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I think it was mentioned that turkestans establish and breed quicker. I've never had dubias, but I've read that they can jump a bit? Turkestans are really fast, but as long as you're careful about transporting them that shouldn't be an issue. Since you'll be feeding outside of their tank this doesn't matter much, but like was mentioned earlier they don't burrow, so you don't need to keep them on substrate. Like dubias they can't climb smooth surfaces and I haven't had any escapes from the breeding tub. I think turkestans are also generally a bit cheaper. And if you ever wanted to collect the itty bitty nymphs you can move a bunch of eggs to a separate container since they lay. Like was said, both are a great choice, it really comes down to your preference. Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

12. 2 members thank andfrogs for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

You actually dont have to keep dubias on substrate, but they will burrow into your frog's dirt/coco fiber pretty quick. Dubias can't really jump vertically, but sometimes they will jump off your hand if you're holding them. Smell wise, I can't speak for turkestans, but Dubias don't really smell, and both are poor climbers so a container with smooth enough sides(glass tank, smooth sterilite bin) will prevent escapes pretty well.
    I like andfrogs' idea on separating the turkestans' eggs to get seperate nymphs early. That's convenient.
    Tbh, I bought Dubias because I could find them locally. Turkestans are probably the better option. I like the fact that they don't burrow, personally. I like letting my frog vs hunt, and if I just drop in a bunch of dubias they just dig down and hide. I guess that won't matter if you're tong feeding.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

14. 2 members thank daybr4ke for this post:

Can Turkestan be caught by tongs? I'm afraid they are too fast for tongs. I wouldn't dare to handle roaches with hands

By the way thanks everyone for your suggestions. But I still can't decide which to get.

so can a full grown male wtf eat a full grown dubia?

17. This member thanks Weiyo for this post:

I have never touched a roach- I lift the carton/papertowel rolls with tongs and shake it into a cup inside another container in case the cup gets knocked over or something. The first time I tried to give my beardie some, I took him into the garage and put one down in front of him. I couldn't catch it, he couldn't catch it, they are extremely fast. I'm not sure about the size of a full grown dubia, but I probably wouldn't give a full grown turkestan to a whites. They could probably handle it, just a personal preference. Plus I try not to feed off the adults. I'd say if you're still split about it, just go with the best deal you can find!

19. 2 members thank andfrogs for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't give a full grown Dubia to a White's either. Just too big. Then again my frogs are fairly small males.
    I've never had one of my Dubias jump and my tank doesn't smell, except one time when a couple of roaches died and there was spoiled food. As long as you clean the tank occasionally it should be fine. Also make sure the top goes on firmly. My cat knocked over a bin once and the lid wasn't on. Awful!

I think your one of your frogs may be a male, if it calls more than twice in a row. You may just have to wait and see which one develops a darker color on the throat. Judging by my experience, your frogs may have another year or two of growing. But then different frogs may grow at different rates. Maybe they'll get another centimeter or two longer.

21. 2 members thank elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah, adult Dubias are a bit too big for a big White's Treefrog. A smaller individual definitely couldn't eat one. They're good food for African bullfrogs and stuff, but even my toads at a bit over 4 inches have a bit of trouble eating adult Dubias. Turkestans are around 1.2 inches long as adults, compared to dubia's 1.8.
    Males turkestans can FLY however. Now I remember another reason I went with Dubias.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

23. 2 members thank daybr4ke for this post:

Hmmm, I'm yet to see a male fly. I got my colony for free, but if I were choosing between the two, then I would have gone with dubias for the fear of flight alone! I wonder under what conditions the males fly... I'll now be living in fear!

25. This member thanks andfrogs for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Lol it certainly freaked me out. Wikipedia says they fly, but other resources suggest they are either poor fliers or equally as bad as Dubias(male Dubias can flap their wings and "glide" down). Kinda surprised me the first time I saw it. Its probably nothing to worry about.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

27. 2 members thank daybr4ke for this post:

I've decided to go with dubia instead. Don't really like the looks of Turkistan as they looks really similar to those common pest roaches. Turkistan moves fast I'm afraid I couldn't handle them. Turkistan lay eggs gonna get messy and dirty fast.

But damn... from what I read about dubia, seems like they breed and mature really slow. Gonna be patient for my colony to stabilize.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It did take patience, you're right. I had to feed crickets mostly for about a year and a half. But then I started with very small roaches and had to wait for them to grow up and then wait for the babies to grow big enough to feed the frogs. Now that the colony has many adults I have a steady supply and there are always enough the right size to feed the frogs.

30. This member thanks elly for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    It did take patience, you're right. I had to feed crickets mostly for about a year and a half. But then I started with very small roaches and had to wait for them to grow up and then wait for the babies to grow big enough to feed the frogs. Now that the colony has many adults I have a steady supply and there are always enough the right size to feed the frogs.
    I have someone telling me on fb that dubia has sharp legs and might hurt the frogs. I need to keep the Dubia's male to female ratio at 1:4 if not the males gonna kill each other. Is that true?

Nationality
    [United States]

I've never had either of those problems. The adults' legs are a little pokey, but the frogs handle them fine. Never had males fight or anything. As for growth, I started my colony in June. The strategy for Dubias is to buy a group of adults, a group of mediums, and a group of smalls for your colony and then buy more adults every couple months or so until your population starts reljably growing. It does take a while, but once they get going its fine. I still can't feed out of mine lol
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

33. This member thanks daybr4ke for this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information