Thread: Help, grey tree frog bloated sick

Default Help, grey tree frog bloated sick

I've had my pet grey tree frog for 7 years and I noticed that he looked very bloated a couple of days ago. Issues started last week I cleaned my frogs tank. A couple of days after cleaning, the tank had a swamp smell that went away after a couple of days. Then I noticed that he looked extremely bloated and wasn't very active. His neck is especially bloated. I did some research online and read that he may need a detox. I cleaned his tank yesterday. When I went to take him out of the tank, he peed a lot. I put him in a large tupperware with a small bowl of spring water. He looked a bit better in the tupperware, he sat in the water, ate a cricket, and pooped. When I put him back in his tank, he seemed to be doing better, he climbed on his branches. Last night, he still looked bloated but was climbing on the walls and branches a bit and he ate a cricket. Today, he looks really bad again, I'm attaching a photo to this post. I ordered a vitamin spray to put on his crickets, that's coming in tomorrow. I'm not sure what else I should do. I read online that I should put him in a baytril bath, but I'm not sure if that's what he needs or which is safe for frogs/ how much I should put in the water. Please let me know if you have any experience with the baytril or any other suggestions!
    Thank you!!!

Name:  IMG_7868.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  1.74 MB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Help, grey tree frog bloated sick

I don't know anything about baytril, but since he seemed to get better when you took him out of his tank, maybe you should keep him out. It could be something in the tank like a fungus or a certain type of bacteria. Did you happen to do anything differently while cleaning out his tank that could have caused this?

Yah I can try that. I was thinking the same thing that he may have a bacterial infection. I didn't do anything different while cleaning the tank though. The first time I cleaned it, I cleaned it as usual. The second time I used a spray cleaner that's safe for frogs and rinced down with spring water so it should be good.

Actually I just found another article and it seems like it can be something called edema. There's two kinds, bacterial and kidney failure. If it's bacterial, the cure is soaking in spring water for a few hours, so I'm hoping this is the case. Maybe that's why he seemed to get better and worse because he hasn't soaked long enough.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I had a similar experience with a newt- it became so bloated it was grotesque looking. Not knowing the cause, I removed the newt from the tank, and placed it in a clean deli cup with nothing but white paper towels soaked in spring water. Then, I placed it in the refrigerator for several days. After a few days, I placed it into a sterilite container, again with nothing but wet paper towels. I placed it in a cool dark spot in the basement. The newt was basically motionless for several days. I fully expected it to die. Surprisingly, it shrank back to normal size and became active. Eventually I put it back into its tank with the others, and it is feeding and thriving again.
    Although this sort of treatment is not without risk, it is my understanding that cold temps will reduce the bacteria, without compromising the amphibian or its immune system.
    I never did figure out what caused the bloating, though.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Don't newts and salamanders usually need colder temps than frogs do?
    I have heard of raising temps as a way to combat fungus though.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Yes they do, and I have no idea if the same thing would work on a tree frog. However Gray treefrogs are a northern, cold-tolerant species.
    I had not heard of raising temps to combat fungus- it seems counter intuitive. But if it works, it works.

9. 2 members thank Herpin Man for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It was particularly related to chytrid fungus which is a cool temperature fungus. But I don't think it was recommended for amateurs. Here's a source: http://www.frogsafe.org.au/disease/c...reatment.shtml

Thread Information