Thread: Tiger Leg monkey frogs not moving

Default Tiger Leg monkey frogs not moving

I have 3 Tiger leg monkey frogs(phyllomedusa Hypochondrilias) and they are not doing anything at night at all. One I have had for two weeks, the other two for one week. They are set up in a living vivarium(live plants, soil, etc) Their temps have been in the parameters of what I read is needed(day time-75 up to 85, night-70-74) and they were kept in a store with one fake plant, a water bowl, just everything needed including rept sun low watt uvb and cfl for day light. I'm doing a mist just once every other day or so now. I'm getting concerned since they are not doing anything at all. They are alive but one has just stayed up on a leaf, the other two more so near the ground. How long can these guys go without eating or doing anything? What suggestions do you have about this species? At this point I'm just trying to leave them alone. They have some crickets in there( I can't get them out, impossible, but they have their own food in there) and i'm just watching temps and giving clean filtered water. Really want these three to thrive! I thought they would be stoked on this enclosure compared to their store one. They seem perfectly healthy, or did at least, and I don't want that to diminish:/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tiger Leg monkey frogs not moving

Hi! Welcome to the forum. I hope I can help you figure this out. First off, these frogs are nocturnal, so they may be a bit active at night.
    I have a few questions that may help clear this up:
    1. What size/age did you get these frogs?
    2.Did the enclosure/sale sign on them at the store indicate Captive Bred status versus Wild-Caught?
    Wild caught frogs are more usually more skittish than Captive Bred specimens, and have a hard time adapting to captivity.
    Unfortunately I don't know a lot about Tiger Legs. Hopefully someone who has kept them gets on with some advice. Good luck!
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Yeah no idea if cb or wc. They are either full grown or almost there.

Nationality
    [United States]

At the two week mark I'd be getting a bit worried. Frogs can go a while without food, but after that kind they should be getting really hungry. How well have you been keeping track of cricket numbers? They may have eaten at night. Speaking of night activity, are they at all more active before you head to bed? Anyway, if you haven't kept track of the crickets that's okay. A good indicator of whether they've been eating is poop. If there's fresh poop, they've probably eaten. If they haven't eaten they are probably starting look skinny. With a larger species I might suggest force feeding, but it stresses the frog(really bad if the frog is not eating because of stress.) and I feel like it could be dangerous for these small, dainty frogs.
    Stress is one reason frogs may not eat. Frogs find high traffic areas stressful. To reduce stress you can cover the sides sides of the tank, make sure they have hiding places, and possibly move the enclosure to a low traffic area(if it is in a high traffic one.) With my toads, to calm them down I sometimes covered their terrarium with a bath towel(mine was green. I figure they would like green/brown/etc. Natural colors.), but my toads were eating already. I put it on them because they kept trying to hop out and bashing their faces into the terrarium wall.
    To be honest, I havent yet had a frog that didn't eat, so I dont have a lot of experience. I'll look into some more info.
    Edit: I have some more ideas.
    1. What humidity are the frogs kept at?
    2. What size crickets have you been feeding them? A good rule of thumb is too keep food items roughly equal in size to the space between the frog's eyes.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [United States]

I decided to make this a separate post. So, after some reading and recollections a few things come to mind:
    First, I remembered something about treefrogs I read a while back. Many develop favourite spots in the tank to hang out. They may be returning to the same spot for sleeping during the daytime.
    This brings me to the next part. Multiple resources have suggested they are completely inactive during the daytime. I would suggest monitoring them at night.
    I've read that care for these frogs is similar to Red-Eyes, so Ive been reading up on them too since info on tiger legs seems a bit sparse. Good luck.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Yeah, Id really take any measures to be getting these guys going. I wish someone with their particular handling would chime in!

Nationality
    [United States]

Me too. I've never even seen one in person. In the meantime, where are you keeping the humidity at?
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

These guys require low humidity so I've been spraying a little bit every couple days and water the plants that are in tank

Nationality
    [United States]

I did some checking. At first I thought humidity might be the problem, since most of the frogs in the genus phyllomedusu seem to require higher humidity, but after looking up phyllomedusa Hypochondrilias specifically, I found that you were right. Josh's Frogs has an article on care for them noting a "60% Max" humidity with 30-40% being comfortable, unlike phyllomedusa tomopturna, for example.
    I thought I was on to something, but unfortunately I'm still stumped.
    The only other thing I can think of right now is that it may be another frog in the genus, rather than phyllomedusa Hypochondrilias. I suppose certainty on that depends on the reliability of whoever you bought the frogs from.
    I wish I could be of more help. Hopefully it's just stress and they calm down and start eating.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, unfortunately I don't own any of these frogs but if your really worried for them try to PM a member named Diver. She has lots of experience with the Phyllomedusa species or even the founder John.

12. This member thanks monster for this post:

yeah thanks. I talked to the bio dude who breeds them and he does the opposite. so now im super confused...he keep them at 71 at sprays twice a day for 40 seconds

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Hi, unfortunately I don't own any of these frogs but if your really worried for them try to PM a member named Diver. She has lots of experience with the Phyllomedusa species or even the founder John.
    That's a really good idea. I should have thought of that lol
    The breeder's comments make me wonder if you have Hypochondrilias or another Phyllomedusa species. Since reading up on them I've read the various species are often confused.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

I'm like 99% positive on Hypo. It's really not that hard to tell honestly

Thread Information