Thread: my frog died

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default my frog died

last night, he was on top of his media in the corner of his tank, dry and stiff. soaked him in water for many hours, but he remains dry and stiff.

this is stunning to me as i check on him every evening and I can't say that he had any odd behavior except that he looked like he was getting 'hungry' and was out in the open and not in his hole. he had water baths every few days.

he dried out and got stiff within the course of 24 hours or less. the weather has been hot at about 85F but this frog has been through hotter. although the media was moist, it must not have been nearly as moist as this frog needs.

i've graphed his weight for the time i've had him, which is since about january of this year. he stopped gaining weight about eight weeks ago. he stopped growing at the size of a tablespoon. so that's weird.

i'd like to blame myself for this, and there are all sorts of things i could blame myself for as far as not taking care of the frog right. but the beginning of the weight loss doesn't seem to correspond to any other event.

oh well. little doug is RIP.

easy frogs to take care of and i apparently killed mine. i'm going to guess that i let the humidity get too low for too long a time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: my frog died

I'm sorry about Doug. I wish I had something useful to say, but I don't. It sucks losing a frog, and it's a feeling I know. I lost a Pacman myself a month ago. Mine came from Petsmart. He never grew. He missed almost every strike he made at bugs, gobbling down tons of coco fiber, and then he'd just give up and stop trying to eat. Eventually he just stopped eating and died over the course of a week. I know it's not the same, but I know how it hurts to lose a frog. Don't blame yourself.
    RIP Doug
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [Canada]

Sorry about your frog. I constantly worry about my own husbandry. Humidity is often very hard to control, unless you mist often. I cannot say for sure what caused your frog to die. It may have been a defect. It does happen sometimes.

Ideally you should have cooler night time temps, I have my frog's thermostat set to 76-78F at night and 84-85F during the day. There have been days that have made it hard to control the temperature, however I would usually improve the situation by removing the container lid, and add extra water to the substrate to increase evaporative cooling. Also I have found that dechlorinated ice added to the water dish and placed on top of the container helps get the ambient temperature down. In an ideal situation you would place the frog's container in a cooler area in the house and keep it heated during the day. This is the best way to maintain a temperature gradient.

Otherwise, I should assume that the area you kept your frog in wasn't ridiculously busy, nor prone to vibration or other bizarre stress causing circumstance.

How did you supplement and what did you feed him? Because from January, to now, it defiantly is strange to be so small.

I suspect you may probably chock it up to a defect.

In the end, should you choose to get another frog. Good luck, hopefully it doesn't go wrong next time.
    C. Cranwelli (Albino)

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    I'm sorry about Doug. I wish I had something useful to say, but I don't. It sucks losing a frog, and it's a feeling I know. I lost a Pacman myself a month ago. Mine came from Petsmart. He never grew. He missed almost every strike he made at bugs, gobbling down tons of coco fiber, and then he'd just give up and stop trying to eat. Eventually he just stopped eating and died over the course of a week. I know it's not the same, but I know how it hurts to lose a frog. Don't blame yourself.
    RIP Doug
    well, what you say does help. this is also a petsmart frog. he seemed okay at the beginning.

it is interesting how much we/I do not understand very much about their physiology.

Doug's behavior the last few days was to excavate a hole and sit in it. not bury himself, but be exposed...the hole he made was larger than him. he's in a central room in my house; i would go by every hour or so. and he would be in a different spot, maybe turned, maybe a new hole. that's sort of unusual as Doug's happy pacman state was to sit still, buried for days and days, digesting his meal. so he was restless and NOT buried for quite some time. i figured he was hungry. i gave him two earthworms. one of the worms was sorta old but not dead yet. apparently, he stayed out and that helped dry him out. i don't think i could have hydrated him unless I physically plopped him into a water dish, which i did from time to time. at the time he died, there was no water dish available. had Doug just buried himself like usual (thus the name), the media was moist enough to sustain a frog.

i guess i should clean up the tank, disinfect it just to be sure. and if i get another one, i need maybe to make the tank smaller with a divider as you say, and also limit the view of the frog by blocking the glass.

i could kind of tell that Doug's best vision was at about ten inches away. he was pretty blind closer or farther. How did I tell this? by slowly moving my hand towards him. the frog would always 'alert' at about 10 inches.

i just hate the thought of blocking the glass because i really like the look of these fellows.

Nationality
    [United States]

After reading up when I got my frog, I read up on Pacmans from Petsmart, and found a lot of stories about mysterious health failures in frogs bought there specifically(found at least one thread on Dendroboards, and a couple on here.). I've personally resolved never to buy another pacman at petsmart, especially after returning a while ago to find the decomposing corpse of a baby pacman in the enclosure my own frog had been in before I bought him, complete with fresh mealworms that looked as if they had just been added. Seeing that made me pretty sad tbh.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    After reading up when I got my frog, I read up on Pacmans from Petsmart, and found a lot of stories about mysterious health failures in frogs bought there specifically(found at least one thread on Dendroboards, and a couple on here.). I've personally resolved never to buy another pacman at petsmart, especially after returning a while ago to find the decomposing corpse of a baby pacman in the enclosure my own frog had been in before I bought him, complete with fresh mealworms that looked as if they had just been added. Seeing that made me pretty sad tbh.
    That's awful. Such apathy.

I am lucky, I was thinking of getting a pacman whilst away for work. About 2weeks after getting home, I showed up with my girlfriend to a store with good reviews, they happened to have my albino cranwelli. After speaking with the owner a while, appearing apprehensive about buying. I chose to leave with the baby that day, and I couldn't be happier. I guess I am a lucky one. To be quite honest, this last 10 months having the frog to care about has been a great improvement to my quality of life, even though she will never feel much more than rudimentary emotions in my direction. I would be devastated if she were to die.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    C. Cranwelli (Albino)

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frogdoad View Post
    Sorry about your frog. I constantly worry about my own husbandry. Humidity is often very hard to control, unless you mist often. I cannot say for sure what caused your frog to die. It may have been a defect. It does happen sometimes.

Ideally you should have cooler night time temps, I have my frog's thermostat set to 76-78F at night and 84-85F during the day. There have been days that have made it hard to control the temperature, however I would usually improve the situation by removing the container lid, and add extra water to the substrate to increase evaporative cooling. Also I have found that dechlorinated ice added to the water dish and placed on top of the container helps get the ambient temperature down. In an ideal situation you would place the frog's container in a cooler area in the house and keep it heated during the day. This is the best way to maintain a temperature gradient.

Otherwise, I should assume that the area you kept your frog in wasn't ridiculously busy, nor prone to vibration or other bizarre stress causing circumstance.

How did you supplement and what did you feed him? Because from January, to now, it defiantly is strange to be so small.

I suspect you may probably chock it up to a defect.

In the end, should you choose to get another frog. Good luck, hopefully it doesn't go wrong next time.

humidity is a challenge, as it tends to be somewhat dry where I live. We also went through a pretty bad heat wave. Froggy is in a dark corner in a room that gets no sun, and was heated by a timed thermostat, all verified with a remote thermometer. So generally speaking, he had the right temps his whole life.

I graphed his eating and weight. Fed dusted crickets mostly. Also 'pac-attack' prefab food pellets when i did not have crickets. his weight went up and then went flat. so that's my best evidence that something simply failed, and did so quite some time ago. he grew like a weed for three months, doubled his size from a baby, then that's that. and that was a long time ago, and his conditions were very very consistent and thermostatically controlled before the summer...when it kinda got hot...i have no AC.

if i get another, i'll go seek out a good independent reptile-specialization store somewhere in my area.

this forum has been a nice resource to have.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Seems to me you have nothing to feel guilty over. Again sorry about Doug.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    C. Cranwelli (Albino)

10. This member thanks Frogdoad for this post:

Thread Information