Thread: Western toad not moving well, tired, not eating

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Western toad not moving well, tired, not eating

One of my western toads is moving strangely. He used to walk up on his feet but now he is more like dragging himself around, his arms and legs aren't moving right, like he cant control how they move. He is also very tired. I thought he was dead a few times because when i uncovered him and poked him it took a while for him to wake up. If i put him in a different place in the container he doesn't even crawl back to cover just goes back to sleep.

Today i flipped him over and his skin kinda rolled funny like it wasnt plump with moisture so i put him in a plastic dish with small amount of water(not enough to drown) and covered him with moss. I just noticed today that the creases on his body where his limbs rub his torso are going pale. There are three others and they are all fine, tooling around eating swimming etc. If it was hibernation wouldnt they all be doing the same thing. Hes not skinny like he isn't eating but before he was a pig always eating now not at all when i put him in a bucket with crickets, then i chase the crickets passed him and nothing.

I have 2 red ones so it could have been him or the other that put his hands in his mouth and tried to pull out something goopy. The goopy i never found later, when i went in to help him pull it out he closed his mouth.

i saw a post about a honey bath, What is that supposed to do ? and how much honey to water ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Western toad not moving well, tired, not eating

It looks like you managed to post your thread, I'm glad. When you get around to answering the questions I sent you via PM, could you post the answers here, so other users can see them? I hope we can help you figure out the problem. I'm a bit worried it's A calcium deficiency.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [Canada]

There are 4 toads sharing a container that is 30 inches long by 19 inches deep and 14 inches high but they are all the size of a quarter. I know when they are bigger that i will need to split the group into twos and use a second container.

The water is bottled spring water from Hope BC I pour it straight from the bottle into their pool. I change it weekly, sometimes more depends how quickly they fill it with dirt.

I haven't been dusting the crickets with calcium. The crickets run around the cage i figured it would fall off them before they get eaten.

There is no signs of new redness on his belly or arm, He is a reddish brown to start with. The creases where his legs rub on his torso are pale.

I have only had all of them since the end of may this year. I caught them in a breeding area near a lake. There was more than 40 bigger than my hand and no sizes in between the size of my hand and the size of a quarter Thought that was weird. Was going to keep them till they get bigger and release them again when they can breed.

I have vitamin and calcium dust as of this am.

Nationality
    [Canada]

if it is calcium deficiency, can it be reversed ?

How do i make a toad eat dusted crickets ?

Nationality
    [United States]

I used a calculator to figure out the size of your aquarium in gallons, and it's actually a pretty good size for these toads. There are a couple problems that need addressing, but I don't know for sure if the sickness is caused by these issues. Bottled Spring water is okay, but you'll need a lot of it because water should be switched every day or every other day. They dirty water pretty fast, I switch the water every other day usually, since they like to poo in the pool and shed in it, etc. I would recommend picking up a dechlorinating and ammonia removing agent such as Reptisafe or Amquel, so you can treat tap water and have safe water at your disposal easier.
    If Calcium Deficiency isn't too far along, simply making sure your toads get calcium will help. Dusting is a actually fairly easy, you simply take a small amount of the powder and empty it into a tall container or into a bag with your feeder insects and shake it a bit. The powder usually stays on pretty well. It will come off after a while, but my own toads eat their insects long before they would have the chance to rub much of it off.
    Calcium deficiency is indicated by sluggishness and weakness, but another symptom is leaning to one side. If your toad is leaning over, a calcium deficiency or Metabolic Bone Disease(A disease caused by a lack of calcium, often referred to as MBD) is a good bet. If it is too far along, it is usually fatal.
    Hopefully it isn't too far along, and can be treated if that's what it is. Either way, quarantining the sick toad is still a good precaution. It would be great if you could take some pictures, as well. It would help in figuring out what's wrong.
    I hope this helps.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

7. This member thanks daybr4ke for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Figured I'd add a second post with a few extra things.
    First is a vitamin and calcium dusting schedule:
    http://www.frogforum.net/showthread....ting-Schedules
    Second, if the toads aren't eating, you may have to try force feeding the one(s) that won't eat but be careful, since this is VERY stressful for the frog/toad.
    Again, good luck!
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

9. This member thanks daybr4ke for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

For dusting I like to use a plastic cup with a lid and shake it to cover the insects with powder.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ok I have a 3 pics of the sick one with how his legs are limp, one of his normal home, and one pic with everyone else just cuz they are all cute playing in the water.

I gave him a honey bath just in case he was the one trying to pull something goopy out of his mouth the other day. It seemed to make him more active than i have seen him in days. He also crimple up a little, opened his mouth a bunch, & tried swallowing a bunch, he is rinsed off now sitting in a plastic dish with a little bit of water in it so he stays hydrated.

The pale where his arms and legs rub against his torso is gone also his belly skin looks plump again. It was a few days where he wasnt getting any pool time, I didnt think about it, I check on him twice a day but i didnt think he need a dip.

I moved around all my garden box and grabbed ants and little pill bugs just in case the crickets are a little to big for how his stomach feels.

I cant think of anything else at the moment Im tired and my brain hurts.

Thanks Everyone For all the pointers and help.

Fingers crossed that in the am he will eat some ants or pill bugs
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Nationality
    [Canada]

Looking at his skin in these pic on my screen he is actually less reddy/brown than normal

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the update and pictures. If he's lost use of limbs he probably won't recover if it's Calcium Deficiency/MBD, as that would indicate it is in the fairly late stages. If the others are still eating, I'd start dusting regularly to prevent them from experiencing the same problem. The vomiting of red stuff is worrying. Definitely keep an eye out for more of that behavior, I'll look into that in the meantime.
    When you get the chance, what do you usually feed them? The general rule of thumb is to feed them food around the size of the space between their eyes. They look pretty young, so they'd need small foods. Pinhead or 2nd molt crickets, I think.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [Canada]

It seem so weird it come outta nowhere, it wasn't gradually moving weird one day fine next like he is in the pics.

As for food size the pet store i get them from sells them in containers sorted by age. I get the 3 week old cricket. I just looked at the space in between their eye and the crickets. Seems like a close match. There is always a few really big ones but i always put those in with my frog. I have on occasion found a cricket that looks spit out and seen one of the toads eat one then pull it out of its mouth and go on to a different cricket.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I was able to gently open his mouth and get a small dusted pill bug inside but after he closed his mouth he stopped moving closed his eyes and went limp. I could still see his little heart moving his chest. I put him in some moist dirt and covered him with some moss but this morning he was dead.

Thanks for all the help everyone

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm really sorry to hear that. Assuming this was a case of MBD, the only thing you can do now is care for the other toads and make sure they get calcium+D3...I'm sorry for your loss.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Thread Information