Thread: How many?

Default How many?

Hi,

Not got any frogs yet as I'm still in research mode so please forgive any 'DAFT' questions I may ask..

Not 100% yet but really like red eyed tree frogs. Was hoping to have a group of around 4 frogs.

2 questions -

Is a group of 4'ish ok to keep together?

If yes to above, what size tank should I use?

Thanks..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: How many?

Hi, welcome to the forum. Yes if the tank is the right size you could keep 4 for tree frogs in the same enclosure, and remember height of the tank is most important with tree frogs. For four you would need a nice a size tank due to the fact that tree frogs can be pretty active. A suggestion though if you don't have any experience with frogs I would not recommend Red Eyes as a first time frog, they are very unforgiving when comes to smallest mistakes and you could end up with a sick frog pretty fast if everything isn't bang on perfect. I would start with a whites tree frog or something first then move up to something like the red eye.

Cheers Cory. Will defintiely take on board your advice about whites frog for a newbie. Not set on anything yet so will look at them as an option.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

In general I agree with Cory, though adding that White's can live up to about 25-28 years in captivity, so if you get them they'll be around for a long time.

They're lovely animals, but even "easy" frogs can get a little tricky sometimes. If you research and it turns out you really prefer red-eyes and you can realistically pull off the strict environment requirements, I say go for red eyes.

Thanks Ellie. Someone also mentioned Brazilian milk frogs as an option but I've not checked them out yet

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Everything I read says that Amazon Milk Frog care is a lot like White care.

According to one article there's actually been a study on UVB light and milk frogs that says it helps their skeleton. That's neat because I haven't seen many studies on UVB and tree frogs.

8. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Milk frogs in my opinion are one of the most visually striking looking tree frogs, if I was to get tree frogs they would be very high on my list. I like big frogs and they grow to a nice size and don't seem to look as fragile as some of the other tree frogs out there. If you do decide on them Josh's Frogs has a very good care sheet on them and I believe they have them available for sale pretty often. Last time I checked his site a couple days ago I'm pretty sure there was some on his frogs for sale list. And Josh's frogs is one of the most reputable breeders and sellers there is, if you buy from there you should end up with a very healthy frog.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That may not be useful if you're in the UK though, anyone from there want to chime in?

11. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Good point Elly, I didn't even notice the flag.

Nationality
    [Hong Kong]

My first frogs were a trio of RETFS. They aren't that hard to keep especially in HK which is always quite warm and high humidity here. None of mine have died since I got them in 2013.

My other set of frogs are milk frogs.

So I think you are fine with keeping RETFS as your first frogs. As I just use paper towels in a 20 gallon tank and my set up is not complicated at all. They are so visually striking and nice to watch at night! My milk frogs are in exo terra 30 gallon 18 x 18 x 24. If you have 4 RETFS, I would recommend getting that exo terra.
    Frogs owned:
    3 red eyed tree
    3 amazon milk
    3 fringe
    1 malayan leaf
    1 bushveld rain frog
    2 tripirion petasatus
    2 honey white's tree

Boarding:
    2 waxy monkey tree
    3 anotheca spinosa
    2 fringe