Thread: Cold August Nights & H.versicolor/chrysoscelis tadpoles in outdoor pods.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Cold August Nights & H.versicolor/chrysoscelis tadpoles in outdoor pods.

For a few years I've been encouraging the propagation of several species of pool cover temporary pond life, among them H.versicolor/chrysoscelis (Gray &/or Copes Gray Tree Frog, A.a.americanus (Eastern American Toad) and L.sylvaticus (Wood Frog).

My concern at the moment is that we're having unseasonably cold nights in the 40's and I still have 4 morphing pods each 9x26 inches with an uncertain but large number of Tree Frogs yet to fully morph.

My question to anyone who might know is how low can the water temp drop before it harms them and how can I get them to morph so they can be free to expand the local community in the surrounding wilds as they do every year very successfully.

Usually by this time, first half of September, they're all morphed and I've released them or they've climbed out on their own and embarked on their life adventure but not so this year.

They have an abundance of food and are fully grown and very healthy but I fear they won't become froglets until the first snow flies and I can't tend to them through the winter. My purpose is only to foster their start in life and see them climb into the trees on the acreage.

Any ideas would be appreciated,

Thanks!

KP

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Cold August Nights & H.versicolor/chrysoscelis tadpoles in outdoor pods.

You could try gradually draining the water. This could speed up metamorphosis.
    In the wild, many species breed in temporary pools, and it becomes a race to develop before the pool dries up.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Cold August Nights & H.versicolor/chrysoscelis tadpoles in outdoor pods.

Thanks Herpin Man.

Unfortunately under observation throughout this summer the pods don't seem to have any increase in speed or numbers of morphs exiting them as the water levels go up and down as much as 5 inches depending on rainfall. The tadpoles seem to migrate to the bottom and become more aggressive and more easily panicked but I haven't seen this factor increase morphing speed as yet.

The cooler dryer summer actually more like the average here, seems to have greatly decreased the Tree Frog spawn while vastly increasing the Toad activity beyond anything I've ever seen. So far in addition to the independent Toad morphs, I've hand-counted and dispersed 3100 Toad morphs this season and they're still coming. Last year I hand-planted 65 Tree Froglets and at least that many crawled out on their own and almost no toads at all. This year I've hand-planted only 27 Tree Froglets.

Do you know at what water temp it becomes too cold for the Gray Tree Frog tadpoles? I haven't been able to find anything in the scientific journals I've skimmed.

Thanks again for responding to my thread.

KP
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information