Thread: first viv build

Cool first viv build

I'm still reeling, I got my first exoterra (36x18x36) and it's huuuge! I mean, I could probably fit in this thing. I got it for a neat $180 which is amazing even for second hand, with a monsoon fogger and some basic lighting. I'm intimidated by how much room there is, seeing as my paludarium build fell apart because I rushed the everloving heck out of it.

I'm planning for either white's tree or amazon milk frogs, I'm hesitant to put down ~$70 for a single milk frog when I'm totally new at amphibians. If anyone has some general/species specific advice they could give it would be much appreciated, I've only scaped purely aquatic tanks before so I'm hesitant to rely solely on what research I've done for frog vivs that go along with basic care sheets.

The standard greatstuff/silicone background is fine, I'm planning throwing in some cork flats and rounds for my creeping fig to grow on. I want to do a waterfall, I've got a submersible pump from an old tank kit I had stashed that would generate enough flow for a small one. I'm just concerned a big pool area will drown them or something... maybe I'm not used to things that aren't fully aquatic. How many white's tree frogs would be suitable for a viv that big? I feel like I'd baulk on more after buying one milk frog and then have a giant viv with one single frog... Maybe best to go with whites?

I feel I may have rambled a bit but I hope this is legible...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: first viv build

Hi, welcome to the forum! I think I can help with your questions. And don't worry about rambling...I make massive rambling posts all the time. In fact this will probably be one! First off, White's Treefrogs(aka Dumpy Treefrogs) make a great first time amphibian. I doubt they will drown in your water feature. I've even heard they love swimming. The general rule for how many frogs is 10 gallons of space per frog, your tank is 100 gallons, roughly, so you could have as many as 10 frogs. A little extra space is always appreciated however. I'd go with 5-7 frogs myself, although you can certainly have less if you like. Dont hesitate to ask if you have any more questions. Depending on stores in your area, there may be other options. Grey treefrogs are cool, and I keep Pacific Treefrogs, a species native to my area. Good luck picking a frog!
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I think if you want a true Paludarium with deeper water the milk frogs would be better because they are truly arboreal frogs, but for cost reasons and from my experience with the Dumpy Tree Frog I currently own for 3 years, you will love the size, personality, cost, and hardiness. I think 2-3 frogs would be maximum for that space because it's 3 feet long and high and these frogs use the whole enclosure. They get 3-5 inches so keeping it spacious is best. I'll only request this to you because of how much space you have, but if you have 6-7inches of water you can have Australian Rainbow Fish along with the Australian Frogs. I have this with some native plants and Mosquitofish who are evasive to the continent. It's a cool idea you could do if you want the Dumpies. Betta Fish are good Paludarium fish as well. I'll post a video of my setup for you to see. Its a 55 Gallon Tropical Forest featuring the climate of Australia. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to get plants from there so some sacrifices had to be made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

I was actually going to mention the hardiness and personality of WTFs, but decided not to, as I haven't personally kept them yet. I'm pretty sure I actually read it in one of your threads, along with the swimming thing. Also, really glad you advised on how many WTFs are best kept in an enclosure that size.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Update! Went on a supply haul, got a gigantic cork round, Malaysian and snake driftwood, soil and some lights suitable for plants. Need some smaller stuff for the background, I'm planning to cut up that snake wood to make roots. Gotta go to the hardware store for eggcrate and great stuff when my dad pays me back.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 187
Size:  1.91 MB

Nationality
    [United States]

Great stuff is nice, but pond foam is a little easier to work with in my opinion. It's black rather than yellow like Great Stuff, which means if you're painting it the black showing through if you miss a couple spots looks a lot better than yellow. It also looks okay if you just leave it without paint, especially if it has a vine hanging down, like a pothos and some cork in it. I found some at Home Depot outside in the garden section, called waterfall foam, from "Total Pond" If I remember right. I'll check when I get home. It's more expensive 11$ or so a can, but I liked working with it.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That's amazing! That size for that price- my local stores don't even carry big exo-terras any more. I've heard that waterfalls are challenging, so maybe be prepared to spend extra time on that.
    I've heard on-forum that many dumpies like swimming, just be cautious there's no undertow or places for them to get stuck underwater.

9. This member thanks elly for this post:

Thread Information