Thread: 5 toad questions - Bufos/Anaxyrus americanus

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default 5 toad questions - Bufos/Anaxyrus americanus

Hello everyone,

What a great site to find. A whole huge website dedicated to frogs and toads. Damn these creatures are loved.

I have a Bufos/Anaxyrus americanus toad .

The toad was collected from the wild. I was unable to find ANY place in Canada that sells them (I can get a cane toad and I am very tempted to (and also fire-bellied toads)).

Initially I read this guide: http://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-an-American-Toad which stated that “forest bark bedding … is an excellent substrate.” My heart sank, however, when my toad eat a cricket AND a piece of large bark (maybe 1 to 2 inches). I replaced the bark with moss.
    The toad seems to be doing fine, eating and moving a lot / fast. I give the toad warms baths to try and help. It’s been about 5 days since it happened.

I feel bad for taking the toad from the wild but I am trying hard to give it a good and large home.

I have a couple questions I was hoping this community might be able to answer please:

1) Really only feed the toad 2-3 small insects a day (example: two small house flies and one small cricket)?

It seems like my toad would eat nonstop if he/she had the choice. I read on some website to feed the toad as much as he wants for 15mins, although most say 3 small insects.

2) If I got another toad and somehow was able to breed them, could I place the eggs back into nature (shallow wetlands) to live wild?

I feel bad about taking the toad; plus I’ve seen their populations decline throughout my life =/.

3) Does the toad need lighting?

Currently my toad does not have lighting above his/her cage. It does, however, get decent light from a neighboring bearded dragon tank with two lights on a timer (and my room light).

4) How much should I spray the tank with water? One spray? Soak it with 40 sprays?

I have always been confused about this; even for my bearded dragon lizard (which is 11 years old).
    My bearded dragon actually drinks water from a water dish (very cute btw). My toad does not go into his water dish at all it seems. I am a bit worried that the toad’s getting enough water. I did expel its water on me once though during handling however.

5) Can my toad eat a small centipede?

I hear centipedes have mild toxins and can bite, so I am not sure.

Thanks everyone for the help .

By the way: I am able to hand feed the toad already about 1 and a half weeks since I found him.

Take Care,

Sigmoo.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 5 toad questions - Bufos/Anaxyrus americanus

Hi! I think I can answer your questions. First off, this may help and give you some good info.
    Now, on to your questions!
    1. The 15 minute rule is the one I think is most reasonable, but is usually for feeding on a 2-3 day schedule. For one thing there's no competition for food since the toad is alone. The 15 minute feeding time varies depending where you read it. I've seen 10-20 minute feeding times depending on the site/person. I personally just eyeball the amount while feeding every 2-3 days(young toads should be fed daily or every other day.). Also keep in mind that buying store bought insects lowers the risk of parasite infection. In addition, you may wish to check the Toad's fecal matter for parasites. Wild-caught specimens often come with worms.
    2. I'm not 100% sure, but if you want to do that be very careful not to expose the toad(s) to anything that might be transferred back to the wild population. I'd suggest some advanced reading(maybe a textbook, even) if you want to do that.
    3. Apart from normal lighting to regulate a day-night rhythm, they don't require special lighting.
    4. For water, you probably already have reptisafe or another dechlorinator for your beardie, which should be used for the toad's water as well. The toad will require a dish that it can sit in comfortably and soak since frigs and toads absorb water through their skin.
    5. I wouldn't recommend a centipede for food, crickets, Dubai or turkestan roaches and nightcrawler worms make good foods. Also, don't forget to pick up a calcium+d3 powder and a multivitamin powder if you haven't already.
    PS: I'd love to see some pics of your Beardie!
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

4. This member thanks daybr4ke for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hello,

Thanks for the reply!

1. Ok. Thanks. I will feed him every 2-3 days for about 15 mins until I am able to eyeball it.
    2. Thanks, if I decided to try this; I will read more. I think this site might be a start :http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Frog...ding-And-Care/.
    3. Thanks.
    4. But do I use a spray bottle everyday? If so, how many sprays? I don't have reptisafe but I want it now lol. I boil water for a good thirty minutes (then cool it) as described here: http://www.wikihow.com/Dechlorinate-Water .
    5. I released the centipede. I dust crickets every week with calcium powder yes .

Thanks again for the help.

Here's some good pictures :

Name:  P_20170902_142751.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  1.78 MBName:  P_20170902_142719.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  1.90 MBName:  P_20170902_142304.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  1.58 MBName:  P_20170902_142255.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  1.89 MBName:  P_20170902_140612.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  1.50 MBName:  P_20170902_142821.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  1.48 MB
    PS: I plan to buy a nicer tank for the toad. Also I removed the pot hiding spot to show the toad.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry, I forgot about the misting part of the question. For toads native to America, humidity is generally not a huge concern, so you can just mist to keep the substrate moist. Just to keep it moist I usually spray a few squirts 1-2 times a day. I think my Woodhouse's toads, while similar to American Toads are more used to an arid climate since they came from Las Vegas, so you could probably spray a little more liberally if you want. I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions. Also, I really like your Bearded Dragon. As for dechlorination, it's cool you're using the boiling solution, although I haven't read about it. I wonder if it also removes ammonia...
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks again for the reply.

I'm going to buy that Reptisafe stuff.

Take Care!

Nationality
    [Canada]

I been using a Reptisafe like product (Exo Terra Aquatise).

It says use one drop and your done.

If been using two drops to be safe, is that actually bad?

Also, it doesn't say stir and/or wait a period of time.

It works instantly?

Thank you,

Sigmoo.

Nationality
    [United States]

I dont think an extra drop will hurt anything. I recently gave thought to the lack of instructions myself. I kinda habitually swish it a bit after adding my dechlorinator and then I wait an hour or two. Might not be necessary but it makes me feel better lol
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You might want to put a weak UVB light over the tank. Though I'm not so sure about that if your toad's already developed. The reason I suggest the light is that it's been shown to help milky tree frogs develop good bones. Also, dusting insects with calcium/vitamin D powder will help.

The thing about taking toads from the wild is that it's generally not a good practice to take those that have already made it to adulthood. There's a smaller number of adults that survived than there are small frogs or tadpoles, so generally people take small ones. Also very young frogs probably haven't had the opportunity to pick up many parasites. Parasites don't always hurt frogs, but in a tank you might want to watch the substrate because poop can carry parasite eggs and they go into the substrate and then you have the same frog getting re-infected over and over with a buildup of parasites.

This isn't to make you feel bad! You already have your frog. I'm just mentioning things for other people. And if you do feel guilty you can do something like maintain a wet place for toads to lay their eggs.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks for the reply Elly, whats a good bulb, i'm abit confused about colour/watt/etc.

Thanks

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I don't know the best type bulb but it needs to be UVB, or UVA and B. "Grow lights" are often just UVA (but I'd fact check that. Anyone???) I think about the right level of light is sold as bulbs in pet stores for "tropical" animals. It's less harsh than the "desert" type. As far as I know, "desert" might be acceptable as well because these are toads not tree frogs, but I suspect tropical would be better since they spend a lot of the day hibernating.

Anyone have information on actual wattage numbers or bulbs?

Thread Information