Thread: 125 Gallon Vivarium decoration help and ideas

Default 125 Gallon Vivarium decoration help and ideas

Planning on putting nine Red Eyed Tree Frogs in here. Looking for great plants that are easy to care for with wide leaves for them to lay eggs and hang out on.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 125 Gallon Vivarium decoration help and ideas

That's a nice sized tank-nice and big, that is! A number of plants are nice for vivaria and are easy to care for:
    1. Pothos/Devil's Ivy(Epipremnum Aurem)
    This plant is a veteran houseplant and features a number of dofferent colored Cultivars such as Golden(the most common), Marble Queen, and Neon. I have a Golden and a Marble Queen. Not only are they nearly impossible to kill, but they also are cheap and easy to find. One thing to keep in mind is that the other Cultivars aren't quite as resilient or fast growing as the Golden Pothos. It is a fast growing vine, and can be very useful. May even need trimming.
    2. Heart Leaf Philodendron(Philodendron Cordatum)
    Much like the Pothos. I just got one, so I have no firsthand experience, but it is similar in many ways, a vine, similar leaves, fast growing.
    3.Creeping Fig and possibly other plants in genus Ficus.
    I don't have one, but I had a Ficus Benjamina.
    Creeping Ficus is a vine, but Benjamina was a small tree. As a young tree it was too weak to support the weight of a frog, and mine broke and died. If you fine one and decide to use it, let it grow some before you add the frogs. Creeping fig is probably better, but is a vine, and you can only have so many vines.
    Others I have little experience with that I have seen recommended include spider plants, Bromeliads, and others. I'll edit this in a sec with some links. I hope this helps!
    Edit: lllreptiles has a list of reptile safe plants, but pothos and some others are not on it because they are toxic when eaten. Since frogs don't eat plants this is no problem, and many people use pothos for Treefrog and dart frog vivariums.
    https://www.lllreptile.com/articles/...our-terrarium/
    Josh's Frogs sells plants, and has information on them and recommendations based on species.
    I know this list is heavy on vines. I'll try and add some other types of plants soon, and maybe others will add some recommendations.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 125 Gallon Vivarium decoration help and ideas

After some research(And remembering plants I forgot to add.) I found some more to add:
    -Ferns
    Many species are tolerant of high moisture, and they're pretty nice looking. Not sure about fitting the easy care requirement, though.
    -Wandering Jew(Tradescantia species)
    The name is weird, but this is a pretty durable plant. I'm planning to get one eventually, since it has some pretty varieties. It is another vine though.
    Some people like to use orchids in their vivarium.
    Umbrella Plant, especially the dwarf variety can be good, but I think it's better suited to taller give, since they can get as talk as 10 feet or more. In a shorter Viv you'd probably have to trim it constantly
    There is a thread, "Ultimate Plant thread" stickied in the plants section and it's pretty useful. I used it to check my memory and for additional recommendations. It has a lot of pictures so you can see them, and firsthand experience with them.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Thread Information