Thread: How bag is cane toad venom?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default How bag is cane toad venom?

I've been considering getting a cane toad or a pixie frog and these guys seem a lot cooler as I would be using them for education and their invasiveness and cane toad-iness is attractive to me. Should I just get a pixie instead, and are these guys actually dangerous to humans?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How bag is cane toad venom?

Hi! Welcome to the forum. I know what you mean about the appeal of the Cane Toad, I wish I could get one myself. The venom of the Cane Toad is potent, but dob't let that dissuade you from owning one, as it is really only harmful if ingested. They are illegal in some lacations due to the Cane Toad's potential and track record as an invasive species, but i personally admire the tenacity and adaptability of the Cane Toad. That being said, I do own a growing male Pixie Frog, and he is an absolute treat, a very large frog with an appetite to match. One cool thing about Pixie frogs is they have odontoid projections, which are like teeth. Pixies, and to a lesser degree pacman frogs can bite and draw blood. This can be a plus, like it is to me, but some may see it as a detractor. Cane toads can also be bought for cheap, as low as 10$ on some sites(last time I checked.) It may also be worthwhile to look at your local Toad Species. I have Woodhouse's Toads, a US native, and they are amazing active toads. Good luck picking a new pet!
    Edit: Forgot to mention, Cane Toad venom may also cause skin irritation, but in general frogs aren't really pets that you touch a lot, and many people recommend disposable gloves(non-powdered) for handling in general, so it's not a huge concern.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [United States]

How hard is it to sex pixie frogs? And what is your setup for yours? Do you use a heat pad and if so do you use a thermostat?

Nationality
    [United States]

My own Pixie was very easy. I bought him off Craigslist for 70$ at around 4.5 inches long. His previous owner kept in in the garage. I keep my frogs in my bedroom. One night I heard a low, rumbling croak, maybe a few weeks after the purchase. There are other indicators, but sexing a young froglet is difficult. An example of one indicator would be a mottled(spotted) underside, but this is a really inaccurate way to sex these frogs. I can't think of other ways off the top of my head, but they're probably mentioned inolder threads on here.
    As for my African Bullfrog's setup, mine is fairly simple: A 90qt sterilite bin from target with about 2.5-3 inches of coco fiber substrate, a cheapo digital thermometer/Humidity Gauge and a reptile water dish. I use a side mounted heating pad at the moment, which i would NOT recommend, as it doesn't do much mounted on the side. Right now temp is kept warm via Summer heat. In the winter I will be adding a heat lamp, personally. I do plan to upgrade his setup eventually, but he seems quite happy for the time being.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [United States]

That's good! Not too big or expensive. Would a heat pad on the bottom of a tub be okay for a 2-4 inch baby?

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm not 100 % sure if this holds true for Pixies, but I suspect it is true of all burrowing frogs: Frogs usually burrow to avoid heat, so when they dig down they can burn themselves and/or dry out.(I'd love if someone would fact check me on this and confirm/correct me.). The other issue is that on most heat pads on the packaging there is a warning to only use with Glass tanks, with the exception of Hermit Crab Heaters. This is one detractor to sterilite bins and plastic tanks. I like them because the 90 qt is roughly 20g and has lot of floor space rather than focusing on vertical space, so a land dwelling frog has plenty of room. I recently was informed they they eventually cloud over and lose visibility, and I've heard glass holds heat better. When winter rolls around I'm going to be getting an 11$ heat lamp with a 50w Red Heat Bulb for my pixie, or a ceramic heat emmiter.
    Also, just a matter of preference, but Pixies spend a lot if time burrowed. Mine barely does anything all day, whereas my Toads are pretty active. I often look up to see them staring at me or hopping around. I find toads are a bit more engaging, but both are fun pets. I haven't kept a Cane toad, though. I hope this helps!
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Thread Information