Thread: Red Eyes Tree Frog (RETF) help/concerns.

Default Red Eyes Tree Frog (RETF) help/concerns.

I have a few RETF's that I noticed have a red under belly. They are eating food on their own still and are still very active, but I'm still very concerned about their condition. I moved them to a new tank that's completely sterile with dechlorinated water. If the remember is from irritation how long would it take to cute and if it's a disease how could I tell early?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Red Eyes Tree Frog (RETF) help/concerns.

This is another picture of her. It also seems their skin may be a little darker then before, but I'm unsure whether this is true or not.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi! First off, I hope nothing is wrong. It looks like it could be Red Leg, but I can't be sure. I haven't kept Red Eyes but I'm pretty sure their underbellies are usually white. Other symptoms of red leg are quick weight loss and sluggish behaviour. If it persists, and those symsymptoms occur, Red Leg is a good possibility. An exotic animal/reptile vet may be the best option. If self treatment is the only option, Red Leg is a bacterial infection, and can be treated with antibiotics for frogs(Antibiotics for fish are sometimes substituted to varying degrees of success.)
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

That is the main concern. It's on all three of my RETF's, but she's the worst. I haven't seen any change in behavior yet, but it's only been a few days. Is there any other measures to prevent it from getting worse, aside from cleaning everything that is.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm not certain about preventive measures, but from what I've read, it is often associated with contact with feces. I can look around later, but I don't remember any special stuff to keep it from occurring apart from keeping their environment clean, unfortunately. As for nipping it in the bud, a short soak in a weak antibiotic treatment may work. I hesitate to recommend antibiotics before being 100% certain they are the answer, since they can be very hard on the frog. I once treated a suspected red leg infection in multiple tadpoles and froglets, and not all of them survived, but I ended up with an antibiotic made for fish. Medicine intended for frogs isn't always easy to find, but if you can get it if recommend it.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

All the of them had this redness on them, but they haven't changed as far as how active they are. Found this guy like this, this morning. That a good sign, right?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Nice! I'd continue to keep an eye on them though. Sometimes frog stomachs can turn temporarily pink with exercise but those legs in the second picture are pretty dark. As Bryce says, a clean environment plus a vet visit if things remain the same or self treatment if you must seems the way to go.

One of the males is now completely white it appears. The female is mostly white with a little pink. The second male is mostly white as well, but he has gotten a little sluggish and that could be from the reduced tank size.

Thread Information