Thread: what can my toads eat?

Question what can my toads eat?

can my baby eastern american toads eat these store brought bugs?

cockroaches
    mosquitos
    mosquito larvae
    mosquito pupa
    pillbugs
    bess beetles
    lady bugs
    asian beetles
    centipedes
    millepedes
    darkling beetles
    milkweed bugs
    termites
    waxworms
    mealworms
    dragonflies.

wow. thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: what can my toads eat?

Hi! I hope I can help. Cockroches(dubias and other species like discoid roaches) are a pretty good option. I even have my own recently started dubia colony, and they're pretty good feeders.
    Mosquitoes(All forms) First, I don't think I've ever seen a store sell mosquitos, at any stage, but I don't think I'd recommend them regardless. I can't think of a scenario mosquitos would be a good feeder in, to be honest.
    Pillbugs I actually fed to my toads, and If you can find them or another isopod like Sowbugs at a store, they're an okay option in moderation, but not a good staple food item, the shell/chitin isn't digested, and the poo smells worse than usual when using them as a large part of the diet. That said, they are supposed to be high in Calcium, but I'm not sure how much is digested and how much is left in the undigested shell.
    Waxworms might be an okay option, but I haven't fed them to my frogs yet, so I'm unsure if they'd be too large for your young frogs, and they are a high fat food, best used as a "treat".
    Mealworms are an okay food item, but contain a lot of undigestable chitin, and as with other larvae, are relatively high in fat.
    I think Ladybugs may have a bad tase, but I'd have to look it up to be sure, but they can fly and may be a difficult item for your frogs to eat.
    As for the beetles, many species of beetles, Darklings being a prime example, exhibit foul tastes or smells frogs and toads may find unpalatable. Darkling beetle larvae are usually sold as Superworms or Kingworms, and are much like large mealworms(Giant mealworms are also available, which are regular mealworms sprayed with a hormone that keeps them from changing into an adult beetle, and they can be confused for Darkling Larvae.)
    Termites, much like Mosquitoes I've never seen anyone sell them, and I wouldn't recommend them. Same goes with Dragonflies.
    I already mentioned crickets in the other thread, but I would highly recommend them, Roaches(dubias being a personal favourite.), and possibly nightcrawler earthworms, although your toads might not be big enough to eat them yet.
    Also, since they are small it may seem like a good idea when looking into worms to buy "Red Wigglers" or Compost worms, but they can taste bad, and some frogs won't eat worms after trying them. I had a pacman that wouldn't go near worms after I tried to give him a red wigglers, although my toads will eat them no problem, but they're wild caught adults, so they may not have had the option of being picky. Sorry for the wallpost!
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

woah. thankyou! ( go to nilesbio.com to buy 100 cockroaches for 1.50$. you can also buy a HUGE diversity of amphibian/ reptile.) also, what about millipedes and centipedes?

thanks again.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi,

don't feed millipedes and centipedes. Most centipedes are venomous and many millipedes are poisonous.

Also stay away from mealworms and red wrigglers

crickets, earthworms and/or dubia roaches should be the staple diet

hornworms, waxworms, waxmoths and a few others are ok only once in a while

always make sure feeders are captive bred and chemical free

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

Dunno how I missed the Centipedes and millipedes, thanks for covering those, Eli.
    Edit: I checked out NilesBio, and they don't appear to be a great option for feeder insects; for one thing, the roaches they offer are american cockroaches, capable of climbing glass, as well as capable of becoming a pest in the home. I would highly recommend against American cockroaches. Dubia Roaches(Blaptica Dubia) Cannot climb smooth vertical surfaces, and breeds at high temperatures around 80-90 degrees. Also, they appear to be geared towards learning facilities-the bullfrogs even bear a disclaimer:
    "We do not sell live frogs to non educators. They are not sold for pets."
    I'm sorry, but I don't think this site is what you're looking for.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Thread Information