Thread: Pacman questions

Default Pacman questions

I've a couple of questions that I'd like answering please.

Can PM frogs jump? And...can you keep 2 of very similar size together?

I think I know what the replys are going to be, but I'll wait for a few of the more experienced guys to have there say and then I'll reveal my issue....

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman questions

Hi there,

yes, pacman frogs can jump, not as far as some other frogs, but they can jump farther than you would think

pacman frogs should always be housed separately. They are not very bright and will lunge at anything that moves to try and eat it. While a pacman cannot swallow a similarly sized frog easily, they have no problem causing severe damage with their powerful bite.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

4. This member thanks Frogman1031 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Even if they are close to the same size one might try to eat the other, as mentioned above they are not the brightest frog. And sometimes it wont just be damage that is caused, you could have a chance of losing both frogs. Due to the little teeth they have in front on the bottom of there mouth sometimes if the item is to big they cant push it out and the one swallowing can choke and the other frog could die from the injuries he gets from being bit.

Cheers for the input, I knew you would say what you have though before I asked....

So my issue go like this - I have 2 PM frogs approx 4" both of them, living in a glass viv divided by a 7" glass wall, both have water dish and cover to hide. The frog on the left keeps jumping the wall and getting in with the other, and each time I put him back he finds his way back over. They never try to eat each other. In fact they seem quite comfortable together....

Why does it keep jumping over?

Recently during the night there is lots of vocal noise from both I think, do I have male and female and the green frog (male)is trying to get to the albino (female)

Cheers

Nationality
    [United States]

It definitely sounds like the male frog is trying to mate with the female frog. If you want the behavior to stop, you'll have to separate them. It's unlikely that the female will be very receptive to mating if you haven't cycled their enclosure, the male will want to mate regardless.

If you wish you can put them together with a large water dish and increased humidity for a week and see if they mate, although be advised this may result in HUNDREDS of froglets.

If not i definitely suggest separating them. If the female is not interested then there is only so much of the male's incursions that she will tolerate and may become defensive and bite him.

Litoria
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    It definitely sounds like the male frog is trying to mate with the female frog. If you want the behavior to stop, you'll have to separate them. It's unlikely that the female will be very receptive to mating if you haven't cycled their enclosure, the male will want to mate regardless.

If you wish you can put them together with a large water dish and increased humidity for a week and see if they mate, although be advised this may result in HUNDREDS of froglets.

If not i definitely suggest separating them. If the female is not interested then there is only so much of the male's incursions that she will tolerate and may become defensive and bite him.
    The thing is I'm not sure if they are male and female, I've not checked, it was just an idea maybe as to why 1 was leaping the wall... Also there is no sign of 1 pestering the other to mate, it's just a bizarre situation for me...

Nationality
    [United States]

I you're hearing croaking and other vocalizations then you definitely have a male. If both frogs are kept in the same conditions then there's really no other reason as to why the frog should be jumping over the barrier.

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

10. This member thanks Frogman1031 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    I you're hearing croaking and other vocalizations then you definitely have a male. If both frogs are kept in the same conditions then there's really no other reason as to why the frog should be jumping over the barrier.
    Ok thanks for your help.

I can identify a male via red marks on front feet correct? My 2 are approximately 4" can they be sex'd at this size?

Thread Information