Thread: Can I raise Asian toad in this cage?

Nationality
    [China]

Post Can I raise Asian toad in this cage?

I made a vivarium in a 35*35*40(cm) sized tank and it is half water and half land paludarium. I planned to have ornate pacman in this vivarium because pacman is not very active...
    But I think toads are also good pets and want to have an asian toad(Duttaphrynus melanostictus) in my vivarium if it is not small for an asian toad.
    My questions are:
    (1)Is a toad very active? Can I have small size asian toad in my vivarium?

(2)I have LED lightening now in my vivarium for my plants. Is it better to change it to UV light? I recently read an post about UV light and vitamin D3(but it was mainly about reptiles so I am still curious about amphibians.)and it said that D3 from UV light is better because D3 from gut-loading and dusting can cause shortage or excessive.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Can I raise Asian toad in this cage?

Hi! First off, after reading about the Asian Toad, I agree with you, this species sounds very interesting! However, this toad, according to Wikipedia and other resources can grow up to 20 cm in length, which means unfortunately your vivarium will be much too small for a toad this size. Toads are more active than Pacman frogs, much more in my experience. They are really fun pets though. A 35x35x40 cm tank is around 49 liters according to a calculator I used online. I would suggest at least 100 liters of space for a toad that size, maybe a bit more. As for UV lighting, I've found that d3+calcium powder and/or gut loading work great, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting a UV bulb. To ensure you don't give too much or too little d3 and calcium there are dusting schedules stickied in the feeder section, they can be very helpful.
    Sorry for any inconsistencies in measurements, I'm not familiar with the metric system, so I had to plug things into a converter online. Hopefully this helps.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Can I raise Asian toad in this cage?

I agree that toads are fairly active and might need more room than that, especially the big ones. I don't know about Asian toads in particular, but most toads really like to dig. Be prepared for them to kick dirt into the water!

Some people on the forum have mentioned there are studies that suggest frogs might need some UV light but it's still not entirely certain how much. I'd say a weak UV light couldn't hurt if you want, but definitely try supplements.

5. This member thanks elly for this post:

Thread Information