Thread: Devastating accident:(

Default Devastating accident:(

Hey I'm new here. I just need to reach out and maybe here some stories for some needed emotional support. I ordered two milky tree frogs and one arrived dead. The heat definitely got em. So I have this other incredibly beautiful one and now it's my duty to make this guy thrive. I have all the parameters great and its doing jus perfect for 24 hours while I check up on it pretty much every hour(even woke up at like 4 am and checked). I'm pretty much in love with the guy already and I'm so thrilled to have it in my life. I spent over 500 in a self sustaining set up for the dude and I'm just stoked about it. Well I go run some errands which includes picking up a new bpa free two gallon jug for its separate filtered water and some other things to finish my work load. Anyway, I get home and eventually check on the dude(he's been sleeping in the same spot all day) thinking he would be chilling in the cork where he's been. Right away I see him in the water dish not moving I am absolutely devastated in my loss in this incredibly beautiful guy and also HIGHLY disappointed in my self. I had moss in the middle of maybe a quarter inch of water. But I had no moss left because my other stuff hasn't arrived yet, so I was making due with what I had. He happened to go in there right after I cleaned everything and changed the water and definitely must have drowned in the 1/4" or so of water. It honestly feels like the loss of my 13 yr old dog that got ran over by my mom. His death already sent the message of pay attention and be your highest self in each moment and don't get distracted and neglect what you need to do. The dish I used would have just been fine completely filled for an adult, but that quarter inch of water got the little baby. I seriously thought he could definitely get out and that moss was my safe bet and then I just didn't put any in the 2nd time....that feels so bad. Never can or will I make that mistake again.

So now I have this set up that you can be sure of will be safe(it literally is beautiful besides my mistake). If anyone knows where I can get milky tree frogs, please let me know. I can't find any anywhere and now I have this very empty feeling set up.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Devastating accident:(

Hello and welcome to frog forum!

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your frogs! so tragic...

From what you explained, it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong.

I'd say it isn't likely that the frog could have drowned in its water bowl. In 1/4 inch of water or even 2 or 3 inches of water, the frog should have been strong enough to float and get out.

It sounds like the effects of the heat may have simply been delayed in the second frog. That or there may have been prior issues in one or both frogs.

Again i really don't think you made any mistakes here. Any frog that is delivered healthy to your home should be more than able to survive in that much water

i would definitely contact the seller and inform them of the situation because assuming it wasn't the heat then the problem is definitely on their end.

When you're looking for a new milk frog(s), Josh's Frogs consistently delivers well established quality animals. They don't have any in stock right now but they usually have more babies coming of age in early fall, if you're willing to wait. It will also give an opportunity for you to establish your self sufficient enclosure (plants can grow, springtails and isopods can get established, etc)

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

4. This member thanks Frogman1031 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    Hello and welcome to frog forum!

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your frogs! so tragic...

From what you explained, it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong.

I'd say it isn't likely that the frog could have drowned in its water bowl. In 1/4 inch of water or even 2 or 3 inches of water, the frog should have been strong enough to float and get out.

It sounds like the effects of the heat may have simply been delayed in the second frog. That or there may have been prior issues in one or both frogs.

Again i really don't think you made any mistakes here. Any frog that is delivered healthy to your home should be more than able to survive in that much water

i would definitely contact the seller and inform them of the situation because assuming it wasn't the heat then the problem is definitely on their end.

When you're looking for a new milk frog(s), Josh's Frogs consistently delivers well established quality animals. They don't have any in stock right now but they usually have more babies coming of age in early fall, if you're willing to wait. It will also give an opportunity for you to establish your self sufficient enclosure (plants can grow, springtails and isopods can get established, etc)

I honestly think it was due to my accident. I really appreciate your kind words. I'm so freaking stoked to have frogs around again and this was such a blow. I actually do feel a strong sorrow that changed some things for me that really are positive.
    Mercury retrograde started 8/5. I bought my terrarium 8/5. As some 'pointers' for retrograde, "don't sign anything, dont't start anything". I also had my soils and my foundation package for the terrarium get complete delayed. Was supposed to get the soils and other stuff Friday when the frogs arrived and they won't be here for another week due to some error that I've never had happen before in shipping. stuffs happening eh!?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by Mthood91 View Post
    I honestly think it was due to my accident.
    It wasn't. Milk Frogs can easily climb out of a water bowl, I've been breeding them for years and use water 3 inches deep, they never drown. Tree frogs do however often take to the water when dying which is certainly what happened with yours.

The stress of the journey or the frogs themselves not being bred and raised correctly is why yours died.
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

7. This member thanks Diver for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Diver View Post
    It wasn't. Milk Frogs can easily climb out of a water bowl, I've been breeding them for years and use water 3 inches deep, they never drown. Tree frogs do however often take to the water when dying which is certainly what happened with yours.

The stress of the journey or the frogs themselves not being bred and raised correctly is why yours died.

Wow ok.. thank you

I would love to have more if you have any available?

Yeah i would say they werent kept in the best conditions or somethin

11. This member thanks Gavdog13 for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by Mthood91 View Post
    I would love to have more if you have any available?
    I do, but it's a long way for you to come and get them!
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

13. This member thanks Diver for this post:

Thread Information