Thread: One Died, Scared for the Other

Nationality
    [United States]

Unhappy One Died, Scared for the Other

Hey there, I am new here. I got my Albino African Clawed Frogs several months ago and all was well. One of them was dyed blue and termed "jellybean frog". I work at a Nature Center and got him primarily to show people that these are not the natural way they look and why they shouldn't buy these "jellybean frogs", especially since Flubber (jellybean's name) was missing an eye and clearly had not been treated well by the breeder. The pet shop I got him from took good care of him besides the fact they had no idea that they are injected with dye. I am not sure what age I got them, but they were fully grown.

I had Flubber and Bubbles in a 20 gallon tank with pebble bottom and a undergravel filter. They also have a heater set at 75F. They eat Repto-Min daily and I also give them some small bites of worm that our Axolotl does not eat. The water level is low enough they can easily pop up to the top for air. There are some fake plants in with them they like to hide in. Their water is always perfect when tested for nitrates, ammonia, etc and has never gotten cloudy or dirty since I got them. They do a great job of cleaning the tank themselves, never leaving behind crumbs! The problem is that today I walked in to find Flubber extremely bloated, on his back at the bottom of the tank, DEAD. Bubbles looks perfectly normal. I have no idea what happened. Should I do a salt treatment or just see how Bubbles does? I am worried it is bacterial but all the tank parameters are normal and Bubbles looks great and is eating fine.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: One Died, Scared for the Other

Hiya
    What type of water conditioner have you been using also how ofter were you changing 1/3 of the water* lastly were you hoovering the gravel as the gravel filter is not efficient by itself
    75f if fine but better 71/73f
    There is a product called lymnozyme helps fight bad bacteria and breeders swear by it* but requires very careful drops,bloat usually begins with poor water condition followed by bad bacteria* lymnozyme competes with the bad bacteria

http://www.xenopus.com/products.htm scroll down btm

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: One Died, Scared for the Other

Another reply bites the dustAlso feeding daily with an un-efficient cycle system not ideal" fast them every 3rd day#I run an external capacity twice the filtration capacity for my tank with NO GRAVEL# but still religiously change 1/3 water twice weekly using conditioner PRIME with careful added lymnozyme

You did good by taking them but these guys take a lot of research to get it right please keep reading back posts save the last one

Thread Information