Thread: Missing frog!

Kerry1968

Default Missing frog!

One of my little Kassinas is missing. I recently attempted to bodge together a screen top for their tank, using velcro and mesh. While I was out of the room one of the cats decided to jump onto the tank, therefore onto the mesh. I returned to find the mesh partially in the bottom of the tank (one side still attached). So either the cat managed to catch a frog and take it out the tank (I don't think she'd eat it) or the mesh made a handy ramp for the frog to climb out!

Whatever's happened I am one frog short. This happened about 5 days ago, but because both frogs look alike and both hide a lot I've only just discovered it missing!

How long do you think it could survive out the tank (assuming the cat didn't kill it)? Bearing in mind these little frogs are terrestrial and don't even use their water dish!

I'm really upset that one's gone walkabout, I hope it's not too late for him to turn up.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Missing frog!

Well, I think if the cat killed it, the cat itself would be in trouble as this species is reported to be toxic. You might want put out a shallow water bowl for the frog and keep your eyes peeled. Well, thats all the advise I can offer. Good luck!

Nationality
    [United States]

oh no! I hope you find it! Keep us updated.
    God bless,

Laura

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sorry it got out. I've had salamanders and frogs escape on me before and I haven't "lost" one recently. Best places to check are in bags and similar containers in wardrobes/closets, provided there was a gap under the door for the frog to get in, obviously - think how big the frog is when it hunches down and then halve that for what is a big enough gap. They will tend to go for dark places, so any recess or cover in a dark spot. Good luck.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Iceni

Oh No!

We lost a firebelly a few weeks ago, 5 weeks later he was found in the living room, perfectly fine and has been back in a more secure tank with his friends ever since.

If the cat had eaten it the cat would be ill. We have 3 cats and there all hunters. They all kill mice and bring them home. And not one of them managed to get the firebelly. So just give it a few weeks and hopefully you should see it at some point.

Frogs can move a good distance, But they seem to stay fairly locally to the area they escaped from. He's probably under your sofa, under the sink or somewhere else equally random. Ours had taken residence under a lamp next to the gas fire! and we think he was using the cats water bowls late at night!

If your frogs are known croakers and you have something that will set them off you could also try that. Frogs are all instinct and will croak for a partner regardless of where they are.

Hopefully you should get a result in a few weeks.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Iceni View Post
    they seem to stay fairly locally to the area they escaped from.
    This is usually the case. However check everywhere.

About 6 or 7 years ago I was sitting at my computer in England and I glanced at the doorway about 20 feet away. While I was looking a European Green Toad hopped into view, took a look at me, and then kept going down the corridor. I thought it was very funny but also impressive that he had managed to get out of his enclosure. He got a permanent lid after that. That was one of the luckier times I've had escapes.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thread Information