Thread: Ready to Move on?

ediblelogic

Default Ready to Move on?

Hi, Guys-
    those of you who follow my progress, will know that a few weeks ago- I lost my very first frog, Leo. He died of an unknown ailment that I still haven't figured out, yet. Anyway... I still miss him like crazy, and I'm past the point of grieving and have moved on to the stage of nostalgia. He was a great frog with tons of personality.

But my mother thinks that it's time I move on. So, we're going to a well-known pet store up in Lansing where they sell amphibians of several species. I, of course, am stubborn and would much prefer a WTF. They are easily handled, and mellow. I'm hoping that I can find a Blue Phase, and that I can get even more information on how I should prepare the terrarium that the frog will be living in.

I'm nervous and kind of excited, I have this anxious sensation. I don't know if I'm ready for this. But I want to be. So, I was wondering- if WTF's aren't available, what other tree frogs make great pets? I was hoping for an amphibian that can tolerate handling. Are there any other frogs that have this kind of demeanor? Let me know, please.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Ready to Move on?

I'm glad you're feeling positive now.

In my opinion, no frog is really or handling, but it's true that White's are about the most tolerant of it. My Gray Tree Frogs (particularly the fat female) tolerate handling pretty well. That's about it really. I sometimes take my African Bullfrog male out and let him walk around the garden (under my careful eye), and sometimes I put him on the table in the dining room or living room and feed him in front of people. Not the same as handling them but pretty interesting.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

CaptainMorgantown

My red legged running frog is very tolerant of handling, although she doesn't really move around a whole lot. Although, she is probably my favorite because of how chill and relaxed she is.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Stick to the white's I have 13 tree frogs (5 different species) and whites certainly have the best personality and character, plus they are alot calmer than other tree frogs and can tolerate a bit of handling. Red eyed tree frogs are out of the question if you look at them the wrong way they will get stressed, handling them is out of the question they definitely look at only. I have a uluguru forest tree frog(leptopelis uluguruensis) that is very calm and slow moving and doesn't mind being handled, I assumed they were all this way but when I got 2 more I realised this wasn't the case! My other 2 jump around at lightning speeds and hate being disturbed, they are very skittish indeed. My last one is a madagascan green bright-eyed frog (boophis viridis) he is just too small to handle and is very jumpy, they are rare in the pet trade so i'd doubt you'd find one of those anyway.

Thread Information