Hi friends of tree frogs,
I am using seventh generation paper towels (no chlorine) for my gray's substrate. I was changing it every other day per every single care sheet I've seen, but with only one frog it seems unnecessary to me to do it that often now that he's past his quarantine period and his parasite tests have come back clean. While every single place says to change it at least every 48 hours, I haven't seen anywhere where it is explained why it must be that often. I wonder if the caresheets presume multiple frogs. I have recently begun changing it twice a week (every three or four days) rather than every other day so as to limit the stress of his cage getting cleaned as often and because it doesn't smell in there and he usually does his business in his water pond or otherwise not on the paper towels. Plus the towels do not stay wet. I mist in the morning but he isn't down there. I mist again in the evening before he comes down but the paper towels are dry again by morning. His tank has good air circulation with a screen top and the humidity is maintained between 70 and 80 percent. Am I harming my frog by changing it less often? Does anybody know the reason behind the recommendation to change it at least every 48 hrs, please?
Thank you