Thread: What species is this frog?

Default What species is this frog?

Hi, new to the forum... So I rescued some Hyla Aborea tree frogs today. However, on closer inspection, I noticed they had vertical pupils which I have not seen before on a hyla aborea. Is that normal? they are also just oddly shaped but.. are these maybe a different species? Ive attached some images of them to help.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What species is this frog?

I looked up the European Treefrogs, and none of the ones I found on Google images had vertical slits. I don't know what it is, but it looks different to me, though I'm no expert. Very pretty eyes, though.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Posting the picture on inaturalist.com might help you find someone who can identify this frog. I've tried and I can't.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

It isn't Hyla arborea. It looks like one of the Leptopelis species to me, possibly nordequatorialis or similar.

When you say you 'rescued' them, what do you mean exactly?
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver View Post
    It isn't Hyla arborea. It looks like one of the Leptopelis species to me, possibly nordequatorialis or similar.

When you say you 'rescued' them, what do you mean exactly?
    Oh, some dude accidentally bred too many and couldn't look after them. He told me they were normal hyla arborea.
    Also, if you're right, (which it looks like you are) this isn't good because the tank it set up for a temperate climate frog, not a tropical one. and I did my research on how to care for a common tree frog, not an exotic one. One was already looking a bit worse for wear when i got it. Anyone got any ideas on what i should do?

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If you really can not care for the animal, perhaps you could put up a local wanted add, or try to find a home for the animals to make room for temperate ones

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    Oh, some dude accidentally bred too many and couldn't look after them. He told me they were normal hyla arborea.
    Also, if you're right, (which it looks like you are) this isn't good because the tank it set up for a temperate climate frog, not a tropical one. and I did my research on how to care for a common tree frog, not an exotic one. One was already looking a bit worse for wear when i got it. Anyone got any ideas on what i should do?
    A bit worrying that a breeder doesn't know what he's breeding! Can you ask him how he was keeping them? Where he got them? Or any other information? If they're Leptopelis they will of course need different temperatures, but H.arborea also live in countries where the daytime summer temperature is high so depending on how you're set up you might be OK while you're figuring things out. I'd go for a daytime temperature of around 25C which would cover most bases while you try and get more information.
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

The original tank was fully planted and unheated. Heating would have killed the plants so I had to move them to a new set up in big plastic tub with generic tropical climate (Cameroon - the country they're from - has average temps of about 25C so you were right there). I can't find any care sheets on these frogs, so I've kinda done a big eyed/peacock frog set up. They're so cute I don't think I'm gonna get rid of them, but definitely gonna have some words with this 'breeder'. Thanks for all your help diver!

Thread Information