Thread: I think I've killed my springtails

Default I think I've killed my springtails

I wasn't entirely sure where to put this so here we are.

In May I went to the local reptile expo and decided I wanted a tree frog of some sort. I did shakey research on a few kinds and picked up a 12x12x18 exoterra and went about planting it. I realize now that this is too small for anything I want, but oh well, it's planted and there are some interesting things going on in there so for now it will be my test on planted terrariums.

Anyway, probably late May or so I picked up some springtail and isopod cultures. I threw them in there and have been feeding them every so often with a bit of fish food and bits of vegetable. Things were great for awhile, I saw tons of springtails wandering all over the place and they'd hop around when I watered the moss. I never saw the Isopods, but they were so tiny I didn't really think too much of it. Into June I started to notice other signs of life, snails and small flies, nothing too major so I didn't bother with it.

Then I started to see less and less springtails. I now can't find any of them.

The only thing that immediately comes comes to mind that I did was when I went to fill up my misting jug I forgot to put dechlorinator in when I did a bit of watering. I remembered quickly and stopped before I did too much, but probably around a third of the terrarium got some plain tap water. I'm not sure if this would effect them too badly, it didn't seem to bother the snails and the flies.

Everything in the terrarium seems fine, the fish food and vegetables still disappear just as quickly as always and there isn't a mouldy smell or any obvious mould growth. I just wish I knew where those springtails and isopods went!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: I think I've killed my springtails

Are you sure you aren't just overlooing them? They might have been eaten by something larger in the tank since you said it had snails and flies. But I'd expect the population to spring back pretty quickly.

Default Re: I think I've killed my springtails

I'm now certain they are mostly dead. I found what looks like hypoaspis miles in the tank today, and from the looks of it they eat isopods and springtails? I've noticed a sharp decline in the fly population as well, which is a good thing since I don't want those things all over the place. I guess I'll keep an eye on it and see how this goes. Kind of disappointed since I wanted to try setting up a bigger tank eventually and I don't want these guys wiping out another colony of springtails and isopods.

Thread Information