Thread: Can Tree frogs have issues hunting?

Default Can Tree frogs have issues hunting?

So I have a Red Eyed Tree Frog and I've had him since March 12, 2017. My frog was in a very basic setup with a couple of live plants such as lucky bamboo on a substrate of eco earth and a couple of plastic hanging plants with a water bowl. At first I had moss in the enclosure but he didn't always eat his crickets so I removed the moss and tried again and he still didn't always eat his crickets. The crickets would sometimes sit in the for a few days before he ate or they died off in the enclosure. Well more recently I removed the eco earth because it needed a change and I'm planning on getting a new enclosure for him so I just removed the eco earth and put down paper towels and every single night I put crickets in his terrarium he eats them. So I was wondering if he may have trouble hunting them? I usually dust them in calcium before putting them in... 🐸
    Bloo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Can Tree frogs have issues hunting?

It could be that he couldn't get to the crickets or they were too fast for him. I'd continue to keep an eye on him though, see if he starts eating normally. Lack of appetite is one of the major sings of sickness.

You can also put crickets in bowls with steep sides about two inches high are taller. Most crickets have trouble jumping out so they'd stay there where he could get them.

4. 2 members thank elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Can Tree frogs have issues hunting?

My two WTF really dislike when I use eco or coconut substrate- it sticks to them, gets in their mouths when they hunt, and conceals the crickets easily.
    Frogs don't have the best eyesight- but are able to see movement quite well, so that is how they hunt. I always thought the dirt-like substrates made it harder for that reason as well.

I would suggest using sheet moss,amphibian carpet, or leaf substrate over/instead of the dirt.

B+L are incredibly less active when I use only dirt. It is strange bc I know so many people use eco earth and have healthy frogs! I'm no expert but have just understood from observation that they prefer a "cleaner" ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 2 members thank Bronzino for this post:

Thread Information