Hi there fellow friends of frogs,
My name is Kesha Laun. I have a very bold and sweet tiny male gray tree frog named Sunny (full name is Sunny Apple Dumpling Laun). I found him in my home office on April 7. We live in Louisville, KY. I know he's male because he calls sometimes. He weighed 4 grams when we went to the vet a couple months ago. I think he may have gained a little weight since then, but he's still about 1.5" long. I think he's full grown. Pretty sure he's a Cope's gray based on how he calls.
He's got an instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/sunny_alittledumpling/?hl=en
But he's on strike right now. I went on vacation for eight days and he's been hiding from me a lot. I was really worried after three nights of him behaving like he was frightened of me whereas before vacation he'd come out and hang out with me there uninhibitedly. Yesterday I got a tip from a frog enthusiast group on facebook to try bowl feeding instead of free feeding as I have been doing. That seems to have done the trick. He was out and about unafraid last night like he used to do. And bowl feeding is much easier on me to see what he has and hasn't eaten so I'm glad I started doing that, anyway. But he's a little camera shy sometimes so I think he'll be on strike from his frog model job for several more days while he's getting back to normal.
Sunny lives alone in a twenty gallon tank with a screen top. He has a no heat UVB and a low heat UVA broad spectrum light on top of his screen that come on for 10 hrs a day on a switch. There are lots of views of his terrarium setup on his instagram page. He's got a few potted plants, some corkwood to climb on and hide in, some artificial leaves at the top in the back and a couple of small ponds that get cleaned and changed daily. His substrate gets changed and his stuff wiped down at least twice a week. I sanitize with boiling distilled water the items in his tank about twice a month. He has an unbleached paper towel substrate. His tank gets misted in the morning and again after I pull his ponds out for cleaning just before he comes down to eat. His pond gets filled and his tank misted with Deer Park spring water. I add Aquatize to the pond water. He has a cool mist ultrasonic humdifier/fogger on a digital hydrometer with a switch to keep his humidity between 70-80%. He has an AC unit in his room. I try to keep it mid 70s during the day and high 60s at night. I feed him small crickets from the local pet store dusted with calcium six nights a week and with multivitamin once a week. I catch him an occasional moth, small cadydid, small beetle, grasshopper or fly to supplement his diet. Occasionally I'm able to get him to eat a tadpole pellet too. His doctor said a variety of insects is very important so now bug hunting in my chemical free garden is a major pasttime. This frog has basically made me a kid again.
I never wanted a pet really, but he was squatting in my office and I had no idea how long he'd been living there and when I found him it was too cold to just stick him outside. So, I'm keeping him and doing my best to do right by him. I'm always worrying about the little guy, but he seems very adaptable and healthy. I have fallen in love with the tiny critter. I do have a couple of questions in mind but I'll see if I can find them already answered on search before posting. I've been reading through a lot of the posts here and it's been really helpful.
Glad to be here