Thread: New to Pacman/frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New to Pacman/frogs

So after some research I bought a "regular" Pacman frog from my local Petsmart. He was $15. He was in a little enclosure inside the enclosure and was just burrowed with a few crickets in with him. I bought an enclosure and some new coco fiber and took him and the new enclosure home and got to work.

At first I had the coco SATURATED. I had never really worked with it before and actually ended up squeezing a lot of the excess water out which helped a lot. I don't have a heating pad just a UVA light on 12 hours during the day and then a a night heat bulb at night because the house does stay around 72°.

He had about 6-7 small crickets in his OG enclosure and I just put them in with him in his new home. First is that ok to leave crickets in with him (they were TINY)? Second, I tried feeding him a calcium dusted mealworm twice today and he didn't even flinch. Should I be concerned? Thirdly I bought TetraFauna AquaSafe water additive to make the water in my spray bottle safe for him it says 10mLs treats 10 gallons so I only put like 3 drops in 700mLs of water because I do have tap water which I used to fluff the coco fiber. And I've misted him a few times today. Too much? My digital hygrometer/thermometer won't be here until Wednesday but temp was around 83°.

Please help lol I just want to give this guy the best life possible. Thanks everybody.

2. This member thanks SapphireSky for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New to Pacman/frogs

Use only dechlorinated water to soak the coconut coir in. Do not use tap water by itself. The coir needs to be wrung out. Don't feed your frog meal worms. They are not good for Horned Frogs. Dust the crickets with a vitamin supplement like Repitivite and ReptoCal. Do not use an ultraviolet light. What are you keeping the frog in? The best container would be a 10 gallon aquarium tank.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok so I'm going to change his substrate then. Is PURIFIED DRINKING WATER ok do I need to dechlorinate it too? He is in a 10 gallon tank. Im switching to a 40w night bulb now too. Crickets are dusted. I'm a bearded dragon O so I'm kind of familiar with care.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi I'm not sure what you mean by purified water but if you mean distilled or reverse osmosis I would just stick to tap water with declorinator. If this is what you mean by Purified water it lacks some of the vital nutrients the frog needs, and a bottle of declorinator will last along time. You want to use the tap for expanding the substrate and for his water dish, but you could use a distilled or R/O water for misting plants and the glass. When expanding the substrate you are right that you want to squeeze some of that water out, a good rule to use is you want it to clump in your hand when squeezing it but don't want to have water pouring out of it. For the feeding if you just got him he might just need some time to settle, lots of them will do this. if you cover 3 sides of his enclosure with a back ground or even some dark construction paper this will help him settle a little faster. For the crickets if he doesn't eat them within an hour or 2 I would take them out and just try again the next night. Also I find the best time to feed is at night about an hour after his lights go out and the temps have dropped a few degrees. Hope this helps you out a bit.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok thanks! I will try that. Thank you very much. Best reply so far.

Thread Information