Thread: We Are Scared Out Here!

Greatballzofire

Default We Are Scared Out Here!

Several days ago I put my toad tub out in the front yard under the maple tree so I could spray the citrus trees in the porch garden for ants and scale, and not injure the toads with the insecticide. The insect treatment was successful. I thought maybe I would leave the toads out there under the tree, but then I noticed they didn't come out and walk around or even go soak in their water bowl, or do much except bury themselves and stay hidden. So I brought the toad tub back in to the porch garden this afternoon, and right away the toads began being very active again, hunting crickets and soaking in their water bowl, making their little chirp calls and in general having a good time. I have my laptop out here by the toad tub, so I can watch them, and they can see me as well. They actually seem to be reassured by my presence. They do associate me with food, but I am quite surprised they also seem to associate me with safety. No raccoons or skunks can scare them in this fenced porch garden haven, unlike under the maple tree.

and

with the varmint proof lid in place. They were safe under the maple tree but obviously they did not think so!

Sorry for old pictures; will take some new ones tomorrow when it is better light.

Also, I think I have 7 females and 3 males, as the three that may be males make a definite release chirp while the other 7 don't. Maybe next year this will be sorted out better should they decide to breed. I can't imagine they would want to breed in the water bowl, though. I will have to think of a better accomodation for breeding.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

spec

Default Re: We Are Scared Out Here!

is this cage just covering just the top of the pool? if a racoon or any other rodent wanted in there, i think chewing through that plastic overnight would be a breeze. I do like that idea tho. possibliy put some 2x12's as sides and a plywood bottom, prolly w holes for drainage. Then i'd agree about it being varmit proof. I thought my rabbit cage was pretty fortifide, came out one morning and there was only 1 rabbit left. What kind of frogs are in there?

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by spec View Post
    is this cage just covering just the top of the pool? if a racoon or any other rodent wanted in there, i think chewing through that plastic overnight would be a breeze.
    Raccoons, Procyon lotor are not rodents. They are from the order Carnivora and not Rodentia, and thus do not have the incisors that rodents have to gnaw through most materials. For a raccoon to chew its way through plastic would take a Herculean effort and is far as the raccoon is concerned, it's just not worth the effort.

Yes, rodents could chew their way through the sides of the pool somewhat easily. However, most rodents do not have any motivation to do so. They don't eat toads. Plain and simple.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Raccoons aren't rodents, but I don't think you're giving raccoons enough credit. They are smart and if they can see a meal at the other end then they will do what it takes to get it. The same goes for skunks to a lesser degree.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Greatballzofire

I wont be putting my toad tub out there anymore. The toads are much happier now; they must have known something I was overlooking, namely the persistence of raccoons and skunks.

One of them chilling out in the water bowl this afternoon. These are California toads (Bufo boreas halophilus)
    Bufo boreas halophilus - California Toad

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    For a raccoon to chew its way through plastic would take a Herculean effort and is far as the raccoon is concerned, it's just not worth the effort.
    [/COLOR]
    I agree with John on this, raccoons will go to considerable effort to get something they want. I have seen them rip through .25 inch plywood to gain entrance to a chicken house full of chickens, chew through plastic rubbermaid bins to get at the dry dog food inside and and tear a hole through chicken wire to get at turtles in a covered outdoor enclosure. I don't know if they would go to such effort to get at toads which would not be noticed quite so easily, but they are really rather strong animals for their size and should they decide they want to get in badly enough they are probably quite capable of doing so.

Greatballzofire

I routinely trap and release raccoons that get in our yard to a safe location away from human habitation. Sometimes the raccoons will actually damage the wire of the cage trying to get out; in fact one time a big boar coon did get out through a hole he tore in the wire cage, but I caught him again the next night. (Slow learner!) I always deal with my captives at first light, so as to minimize the damage they can do to the trap, or to themselves. The coon in this photo abraded his wrists trying to get out during the night. Usually they just sit quietly in the trap, but there is once and awhile a desperate character bent on escape.The red color on the trap is red paint from when I marked skunks to make sure I was relocating them far enough away. I have to remove these animals as they are a hazard to my cats. No food is left out at night but we still always seem to have a pest animal or two showing up. I don't like raccoons and skunks but at least am willing to relocate the varmints instead of shooting them! LOL

Very humane of you. Going out of your way to help an animal you don't like.

Greatballzofire

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal6 View Post
    Very humane of you. Going out of your way to help an animal you don't like.
    Thanks!
    Even though these critters are a pain in the neck, they are just trying to make a living like all the rest of us. So I don't think trying to steal a little cat food warrants a death sentence. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Greatballzofire View Post
    Thanks!
    Even though these critters are a pain in the neck, they are just trying to make a living like all the rest of us. So I don't think trying to steal a little cat food warrants a death sentence. LOL!
    I wish more people saw it that way.

Thread Information