Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 75 Gallon PA Woods Vivarium (Toads & Skinks)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default 75 Gallon PA Woods Vivarium (Toads & Skinks)

This is the new thread for one of the most popular builds on this forum. Thanks for all of the support with my last build housing Northern Leopard Frogs and American Toads together and my 55 Gallon Dumpy Tree Frogs Paludarium. I appreciate the support and I look forward to delivering some more research and amazing experiences instead of Leopard Frogs I'll be housing the Toads with Five Lined Skinks. I will be posting care sheets on here for both as well as Xavier will post his Five Lined Skinks care sheet for all of you to checkout along with my posts videos and updates. I am not showing you the enclosure this time until I have all the animals in and it is 100% finished only to make sure you see it at its best. I look forward to sharing this experience with you and I hope you will follow this thread as much as you did with the last one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 75 Gallon PA Woods Vivarium (Toads & Skinks)

Here's the care-sheet he mentioned :

http://www.frogforum.net/showthread....-And-relatives

5. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    Here's the care-sheet he mentioned :

http://www.frogforum.net/showthread....-And-relatives
    Special thanks to my best friend on here for the awesome care sheet and here is from Reptiles Magazine the American Toads Care Sheet:

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Frog...ding-And-Care/

This blog by Mr. Frank Indiviglio is a great read as well in American Toads. He helped me greatly get the last project off the ground as I ran it all by him. He has done this setup before as well. He doesn't display it in this article but he describes the Toads temperament with other inhabitants:

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatre.../#.V6c88lT3bCQ

Another great read by him is for keeping Woodlice (Pill Bugs) in the vivarium as well which mine has already:

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatre.../#.V6c9cVT3bCQ

Here is a care guide to my main plant in this build. A year old in captivity going straight from last summer to current summer with not having to go dormant is the Autumn Brilliance Fern:

http://www.perennials.com/plants/dry...rilliance.html

Here is my bread and butter with this setup. The ground cover is essentially important because it makes the tank look naturally like a Woods with how it can just take over. If you have 65% humidity these plants will take off. Pachysandra and Periwinkle are the main covers, but Pachysandra for me has survived a year without needing to go dormant.

http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/20...-in-the-house/

Here are some great things to read while I'm still working on this enclosure.

7. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

More pictures of the young female Toads waiting to go in the enclosure. All the mister parts are here now and the background and lights came in so it's going to get more interesting. We are around a week away from the Skinks

9. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Nice! I can't wait to see photos of them! I hope during the summer they successfully breed for you!

11. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Don't judge a book by its cover. So since moving the Toads into a terrarium I've noticed Pious the common looking Toad (Toad on right in pictures) has become the dominant female. She's smaller than Ace but she has just been a beast. She has become very alert and the dominant hunter. Idk if Ace is slower because it's always low 70's where the Toads are, or if she is sick remember I haven't gotten any stool to take down to get checked, or if it's because of the change of Enclosures. Ace is a much bigger Toad, but I'm seeing a power shift between the two.
    Pious looked right at the camera for a picture and then she hopped away after I put it away. One crazy Toad who is a late bloomer. She is just now showing her personality

13. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey I haven't been around for awhile and when I am its here and there due to some serious health problems with my lungs but I cant wait to see how this new build turns out. I didn't always comment on your last one but I pretty much followed the whole build and can't wait to see how this turns out and really cant wait till the skinks are added. Good luck on the build and I hope everything turns out the way you want it. Skinks are awesome, the shop here has some really nice monkey tails but they belong to the owner and are only for display and he wont sell them.

15. 2 members thank monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Hey I haven't been around for awhile and when I am its here and there due to some serious health problems with my lungs but I cant wait to see how this new build turns out. I didn't always comment on your last one but I pretty much followed the whole build and can't wait to see how this turns out and really cant wait till the skinks are added. Good luck on the build and I hope everything turns out the way you want it. Skinks are awesome, the shop here has some really nice monkey tails but they belong to the owner and are only for display and he wont sell them.
    Thank you very much for your support!
    So I have news on the Toads and the Skinks.
    Apparently I found out that Pious is not a female. I was shocked that this toad could go so long without making noise as a male. I found out because he was on top of Ace. This means that I will be having to separate Pious from the 75 Gallon because he would out compete King easily because he has dominated a larger female. I believe he could out compete the Skinks possibly and he could possibly cause starvation for at least one animal. So I will have 4 animals in the 75 Gallon. A pair of Toads and a pair of Skinks. I'll explain what will happen to Pious later.
    So the Skinks I'm getting I believe are CB which will decrease quarantine time for them. It would be a pair that has been together for around 1.5 years according to the seller. I am purchasing an offspring of the parents as well as a backup so if a male I can still have a pair or if a female can go in the 75 Gallon.
    So that leaves the offspring Skink and Pious. They will go into the 30 Gallon now and I will make the same style of tank just on a small scale. I'll have the Skinks soon. Updates soon

17. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Good to hear!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure if these pictures are of the pair I ordered or from google, but I ordered the pair and an offspring! Very good deal and I have the seller holding them until hopefully I can get Ace clean of parasites so I can move the Skinks into a setup for a little bit. I have all the animals for the 75 Gallon and the 30 Gallon now comes the hard process of waiting to get samples.
    The pair are going to do great in the setup and I think Ace being more laid back now and King II already very peaceful this will work very well.
    I'm interested to see how Pious handles living with a Skink how that will go. He dominated Ace and would to King so it's going to be interesting. He is the fastest Toad I've owned. If the Skink is a female it might go in the 75 Gallon depending on how the group gets along, if space permits, and how the Woodlice population does.
    If the Skink goes in the 75 Gallon I will look into a Frog to keep with Pious. I can tell you in a few years I will be getting a bigger tank for 3 Toads 3 Skinks and 1 Frog. So if I already have everyone that would be a plus. That's far off though so we will see the temperament of the Skinks before deciding.

20. 2 members thank Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I can say, looks like a 1.1 pair. Looks like the male has just entered the phase where he'd be producing red along his head, and the female is getting mature as well. Hope they do great for you!

22. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you! I am doing a major update today with adding the background and the finishing touches to this build. I got a stool sample of Ace so I'm waiting to hear back what the news on that is. I think she wants to get away from Pious right now with how aggressive he is. I think that Pious is on a different level then every Toad I've owned except Toto (the first toad I had in the build years ago). Pious is a dominant male which I've never seen in a male. This may be the fastest and most voracious Toad I've ever observed wild or cb. I will be very interested to see how he competes with the Skink offspring which is still unnamed.
    I have a cool idea and I wanted to see if you all were interested in seeing this. I was inspired by seeing Shark Week and I thought that it would be really cool to dedicate a week of videos and posts on here and YouTube for Toad week and Skink week. What do you guys think? I would every day post about the specific species and post videos leading up to another documentary? I'm totally on board to do this, but I want to hear what the reception would be?

24. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Wow those are some very nice looking skinks, you got me thinking of getting one now. Was going to get a hognose snake but my mom is terrified of snakes and said she would never come over again. There is younger guy here were I live that breeds blue tongues and sells them at the reptile shop ( owner gets a profit for displaying them) and really think I may have to give him a shout. Cant wait to see and hear how they do living with the toads, and how they interact.

26. 2 members thank monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Wow those are some very nice looking skinks, you got me thinking of getting one now. Was going to get a hognose snake but my mom is terrified of snakes and said she would never come over again. There is younger guy here were I live that breeds blue tongues and sells them at the reptile shop ( owner gets a profit for displaying them) and really think I may have to give him a shout. Cant wait to see and hear how they do living with the toads, and how they interact.
    Thank you! If you have any advice or articles on either species or anything you want to add to give me advice or others who read this please post on this thread. I appreciate you following this! I hope which one you decide it goes great for you. I think Skinks are very interesting lizards and the ones you mentioned will get big. I only like snakes that won't eat my animals lol I looked into an Eastern Worm Snake but opted out because of stress and the toads appetite. I have 5 things left to do for this build.

1. Finish the rocky side
    2. Get a hide
    3. Get more Earthworms Leaf Litter and Woodlice
    4. Put Toads and Skinks in
    5. Maintenance

I really did create a Woods Vivarium this time. Who I've shown it to think it can be a hit on YouTube and I can honestly say I've never made a vivarium like this in my life. It's that freaking accurate! I truly believe I created a setup for pairs of the selected species to thrive!
    The other good news is I get to do this again in my 30 Gallon for Pious and the Offspring Skink.
    More updates coming soon!

28. 2 members thank Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Nice! Can't wait to see what else you have in store!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Getting ready to put King back in the enclosure and waiting to hear about Ace still. So I learned even though I have water in this build I need a water dish so the Toads can soak. They like the smaller water dishes opposed to the body of water they are given. More people agreed on this being the most incredible tank they've seen. Idk if I have a good enough camera to capture this enclosure, but I guess we will see.
    I am serious about dedicating a week like shark week for my animals. I think I will seriously do that. It should be very interesting for people to follow. Hope you like the enclosure in the background. More updates soon.

31. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

So I have good news! Ace tested negative for parasites and she has been quarantined 2 months almost 3. I think I'll add her in tonight. I will be getting her stool checked just to make sure.
    So I have some interesting news. I'm considering replacing King in this setup for Pious because King hasn't moved much in the setup and it's 4 feet long. If I put Ace in and he doesn't show signs of higher activity then I'll have to put him in the 30 Gallon because it's smaller and will be easier for him to catch prey. He doesn't hunt much he eats but he has gotten lazy. So if it's because he is desiring a mate and changes then he can stay. I would rather put my animals in positions where they can have the best life possible. Pious will use all that space and would do good for himself so it all comes down to this week. Now that I will have Ace in her permanent home I can move out Pious and get the adult Skinks hopefully this or next week. Then the process will start with getting them checked.

33. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Here are the very first shots of Ace in the 75 Gallon

35. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well Ace has been been very active and fun to watch in the enclosure. She uses the body of water to soak. She's the only toad that has. I got some good video of her already.
    The King and Pious situation has been decided. Pious will take King's place in the 75 Gallon. I'm sad to say this but he doesn't seem happy in the enclosure and I have a toad who is doing laps around the enclosure. She went over to him and sat with him but he got up and moved away from her. That was sad to see. So bringing Pious will make it more interesting because he tried to mate with Ace and is a beast already. It will be interesting to see him living along side an adult male Five Lined Skink.
    King will go in the terrarium with the offspring Skink because he doesn't move much so it will generally be for the Skink. Should he get active again I'll put him in the 30 Gallon. But I will be decorating the terrarium for him soon.
    The adult Skinks will come next week. I'm going to move Pious into the 10 Gallon. I can't wait to see the pair and to try to train them and etc. I'm very excited to be getting them and I believe the 2 Toads and Skinks will make this build something special. More updates coming soon!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Very nice, those are some good photos!

38. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information