Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 75 Gallon PA Woods Vivarium (Toads & Skinks)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 75 Gallon PA Woods Vivarium (Toads & Skinks)

So I contacted the owner and he said that he has had the Skinks over a year with no problem. We all know that doesn't mean that they aren't sick or do not have parasites so apparently I will be taking the Skinks to the vet. I'm hoping to have Pious in the enclosure next by the end of next week. Keep checking back. More updates coming soon! This week the Skinks are coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Here are my Skinks coming by Friday

Zilla on left
    Ruby in middle
    Pharaoh on right

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Nice! They are bigger than I expected them to be, the ones I had, although they were adults, were significantly smaller, those are approaching Broadhead skink in size

6. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    Nice! They are bigger than I expected them to be, the ones I had, although they were adults, were significantly smaller, those are approaching Broadhead skink in size
    Do you think they pose a threat to the young toads that will be living with them?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Unless they're small enough to be eaten, I doubt it. They're like other herps where they can only eat prey a certain size or smaller. If you do notice aggression or the toads aren't getting enough to eat, then you could separate them, but I'm certain they'll be fine

9. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default 75 Gallon PA Woods Vivarium (Toads & Skinks)

Unless they're small enough to be eaten, I doubt it. They're like other herps where they can only eat prey a certain size or smaller. If you do notice aggression or the toads aren't getting enough to eat, then you could separate them, but I'm certain they'll be fine
    I'll post the size difference from the Toads and the Skinks and I will be watching to see how the food gets distributed. I think Pious is a special toad. I don't say this lightly I think he is the toad that any toad lover would want to carry the banner into this setup to show how voracious and adventurous an American Toad can be. Ace is no slouch either. She sits proud and she handles herself. They are also young which means they will grow up understanding they have to compete for food. I'm not worried about the female Skink because they are not usually as aggressive. It will be interesting to see how the male Skink handles life with the Toads. These are the perfect 4 inhabitants for this setup. It is going to make for some exciting videos along with mesmerizing you by this setup. It's coming soon.

Nationality
    [United States]

I can't wait to hear about the skinks, I've never kept any, but they sound cool and look really pretty. Pious sounds cool, I'm looking forward to seeing him in action in those videos you mentioned!
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

12. This member thanks daybr4ke for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

So I have some good news and bad news. I got the most exciting footage of the interactions of the Toads and Skinks, and I have 2 tanks splitting the offspring and parents up and I can't find any of the Skinks now and I'm concerned. How deep do they burrow? They either burrowed or escaped somehow which isn't likely. Even in the escape proof terrarium I can't find the Skink. Should I just give it time for them to come up and bask or should I be concerned?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I

So the bad news is that I think the 2 Skinks managed to escape through air holes through the plexiglass and they are probably gone. However I purchased 3 Skinks and the offspring (Ruby) in the picture above is still here. So even though there was a major setback I found where I will need to make adjustments so when this Skinks goes in the woods he can't escape. I still got some amazing video of the only interaction that will be seen for a while between the Skinks and the Toads. I will make that a video and post it later on. Even though I'm pretty mad at myself for what happened now I have the opportunity to raise this Skink and possibly train it to not be as nervous. It will be a few months before Ruby goes in the woods because it's the girth of a worm almost and the Toads would eat it. You all can help me determine its sex as well which will be exciting. I'll have more updates on the gang to come.

15. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hey man, sorry I haven't been on for a while. That sucks, perhaps you can lure them out by placing water and food dishes in all the rooms you think they could be in? That's how I recaptured a juvenile that escaped once. Good to hear you at least still have one though

17. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Wow...sorry about the escape. I had a number of tree frogs escape on me, and I found some later. Hopefully one or both of them turn up. Good luck!
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

19. 2 members thank daybr4ke for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hey man, sorry I haven't been on for a while. That sucks, perhaps you can lure them out by placing water and food dishes in all the rooms you think they could be in? That's how I recaptured a juvenile that escaped once. Good to hear you at least still have one though
    Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    Wow...sorry about the escape. I had a number of tree frogs escape on me, and I found some later. Hopefully one or both of them turn up. Good luck!
    Thank you guys for your help and support. I think they may have gotten outside. Had it been winter I would have done that earlier. I checked for days. The cool thing is I saw my lizards parents and how healthy and big they were. The mistake I made was they could climb on the background and go up through so I'll get a screen before Ruby goes in. I hope this lizard is a male because it's father was very big and I'd like to see it get big. I promise I've never released a video as interesting and as exciting as the one will be with the parents meeting Pious and Ace. Pious was courting Ace while I'm releasing the Skinks then they saw them and went over to them in some unbelievable interactions. Pious and Ace are truly something different. You all will be shocked. You can clearly see each species was a couple though which was so cool to see how the Toads stayed by each other. At some point when Ruby gets big and we find the sex out I'd like to get it a mate as well. Should I release the video soon?

Ruby

Nationality
    [United States]

I'd love to see it sooner rather than later, it sounds really interesting. The meeting sounds really cool, but I also want to watch the toads and compare their behaviour to my toads', and see how they're different.
    Edit: Also, I hope the skink is a male.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

22. This member thanks daybr4ke for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I would like to see the video as well, I just have to watch it once I finish my classes for today :/

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Good news to all. I'm hoping to have the video up this upcoming week. It's going to be incredible. I've seen Ruby (the baby Skink) it is starting to get more comfortable with me. I'm hoping to get it more tame so I get some good shots of it in the woods when Ruby goes in. So I just want to point out these are 2nd generation animals like the first generation to my setup except one who seems to be psychologically scarred have passed. So to anyone who thinks this is easy I promise it's very difficult as well as the local plants and the type of setup I have. You probably won't find another setup like this with how unique it is.

With that said I believe my room has fluctuated in temp enough somehow that my male toad wants to mate. He's already tried to mate twice so they have connection you will see in the video. I may produce offspring if I hibernate them. I mean I might be able to in my enclosure which would be cool but I'd get mad trying to sleep lol. Obviously Ruby is going to get a mate when we find the sex. When it goes in I'm excited to see how they will interact together. Ruby has months to get there it's not nearly fat enough to survive these Toads. They are savage and you will see that in the video. Even Ace is. I'll have more updates on the 3 soon as well as the video

25. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The school year has started and made me busier then I thought so I apologize for not uploading the video. I will have it up next week!

27. 2 members thank Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Okay, sounds good! Been busy myself as well, for reasons I will discus later

29. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Some big updates:
    So Ace and Pious are all settled in their home and are good. Ruby (Five Lined Skink) is still doing great. I haven't been able to tame it or sex it yet. We are all hoping for a male so it's more tame. It will continue to get set up to go in the PA Woods with the Toads. A local store just got in Hornworms so when the group gets to be adults I will purchase them as feeders occasionally. I've never seen a video of an American Toad eating a hornworm or an adult Skink for that matter. I am also going to attempt a Toads and Skinks week starting next spring to get members and friends on here from the east coast excited for the mating season and for these animals to reappear in their yards after the winter. King just doesn't seem to want to eat and he's healthy with no parasites or problems so I'm not sure what to do with him. Whether to release him or to keep trying to feed him but it's starting to become a problem. The video is scheduled to come out soon like I said before I got unimaginably busy but it's winding down now. Some great updates coming soon too!

31. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sounds good, been busy as well, and made an update post explaining it. Can't wait to see the video!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have the video done. Uploading it soon!
    I should say that just because you will see something in the video that could make someone cautious about bringing these two species together permanently there were a lot of variables as to why the interaction went the way it did. Also the Skink is very fast and is capable of getting away from the Toads climbing burrowing or etc. once the Skink would be in the setup for a little bit the Toads would probably realize it's not food or a predator. The Toads were not fed before the Skinks went in. This is not a feeding video. I'm very confident Ruby when it's an adult will do perfectly fine in the woods setup. Check back soon for the video post next!

34. 3 members thank Larry Wardog for this post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information