Thread: loose skin under mouth??

Default loose skin under mouth??

I have a strange problem with my 1.5 year old female carnwelli. When I would give her soaks in a clear tub and look underneath, i noticed under jaw/ throat area looked like 2 small bulges, as if there is a growth there. When I would press on these bulges they would just deflate, like they were filled with air. They dont feel hard like a lump, or feel like they are filled with water, more like air.

Lately I have noticed that that whole area is getting bigger (loose skin looking). So that when she sits on top of the substrate with her head touching the ground, you can see the loose skin underneath her jaw peaking out.

When she is eating a night crawler, I can see these "sacs" expanding a bit as she is swallowing. I again press on them and they deflate..

What is this??? Is she getting fat and its loose skin?? I dont know what to think of it, and I cant say I have seen any pictures of pacmans with this kind of thing going on.

I will try to take a picture and post it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KekPriest

Default Re: loose skin under mouth??

A picture would definitely be helpful. From the sounds of it, it just sounds like loose skin from a big feed at some point. Since at 1.5 years you should be very confident that she is infact female.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah post a picture.

Ill try to grab a pic today or tomorrow. I have a fogger that runs for 15 minutes every 8 hours and it seems after the fogging is when the skin flap thing looks the biggest.

Here is an ok picture of what I am talking about. The sac is not looking as large as it normally is. So when she sits down and her jaw nearly touches the ground, the sac sticks out from underneath her jaw kind of like a cushion.

https://ibb.co/ifduSv

Nationality
    [Canada]

You may be right and she's just becoming a little over weight, or she could just be retaining abit of water. Or are you 100% percent its a female? I'm not trying to say you don't know your frog but the throat seems to be abit darker then a female by the looks of the picture and it almost looks like a vocal sac, but it could just be the lighting in the picture. I would really take a good look at the feet and see if there nuptial pads there. And for the fogger thing there was a guy named grabius on here and he had a fogger and everytime the fogger went off he said it excited his male for some reason and it would croak or puff up his vocal sac so he removed the fogger. I don't know if he ever put it back in but maybe this is whats going on. Again I'm not saying you don't know your frog just thought I throw that out there.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

i think the frog has a built in pillow

Nationality
    [Canada]

Sometimes when my 2 males have just there heads sticking above ground and are just chilling it does actually look like they are using there vocal sacs as pillows, looks kind of comfortable to them. But my 2 females never look like this. There throats are always nice and tucked up like there supposed to be, if that's the right way to describe it. Which reminds me I need to update my profile because I only have the 2 males and one female listed.

I think its a female. I have looked for nuptial pads and I dont see any. I am really not sure though I am beginning to doubt this. Because it does look like an inflated vocal sac sometimes. I touch it and i just feel air, there it no water or lump in there, just a cushion of air.

I have had this frog for a while and I never heard a croak in 1 year until I got my ornate, so that's why I thought it was the ornate but I really dont know because I never see them croaking only hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Sometimes when my 2 males have just there heads sticking above ground and are just chilling it does actually look like they are using there vocal sacs as pillows, looks kind of comfortable to them. But my 2 females never look like this. There throats are always nice and tucked up like there supposed to be, if that's the right way to describe it. Which reminds me I need to update my profile because I only have the 2 males and one female listed.
    Maybe you are right and its a male?? The strange thing he/she didnt look like this for over a year, only in the last month or so has the sac enlarged this much. Wish I could see them croak so I would know who is making the noise!!

Nationality
    [Canada]

My males very rarely ever croak, the odd time if they sense me in the room or I disturb there tank or if I do heavy mist and they are above ground one will croak which will usually set the off almost as if there having a conversation. And there probably saying something down the lines like this guy is annoying or could he make any more commotion I wish he would just leave. But one will always start then the other will chime in. Maybe this is what is happening with yours if you haven't actually witnessed it. Maybe the one that you think is female if its male never felt the need to sound off, and now that you have definitely got a male Ornate it is setting the other one off and its actually both. Just another thought.

Thread Information