Thread: Dead frog that is alive again?

Default Dead frog that is alive again?

Okay guys, since I'm still new to the whole frog world maybe you'll be able to explain what happened here...

I have one C. cranwelli baby that was always rather picky with his food, "slow" and just seemed to be not as strong as other pacmans his age. But he was doing fine, just needed more patience and time.

Yesterday I went to check on him as always and beside him being covered in his substrate I also saw something that looked like tiny mites... So, after dealing with mites a few times I immediately put the frog in a bath with room-remperature water and leaved him there while I was throwing the substrate away, cleaning his tub and putting some cotton material as substrate to make observing him easier. It taked me around three minutes and when I went back to check on the frog he was dead... I was really shocked because come on, these frog spends half their life near water and he drowned in his bath?! But he was totally limp and wasn't breathing so he was dead. After reading some stories about "dried dead pacmans that you should put in water and they will be alive again" I decided to leave the body in the cleaned tub for the night just in case... And guess what? I check in the morning and he's sitting and breathing like nothing happened at all

I just don't understand what happened... I mean I'm super relieved and happy he's alive and will watch him very closely for the next few weeks (and will need to take the rest of the old skin and substrate from his head with qtip as I don't want to risk a bath again in near furute). But I'm also at a loss for what it all was and I just can't understand this frog!
    Too many to count, so you can find all our reptiles here - fb.com/sylphiesreptiles

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Dead frog that is alive again?

Also, we did put him on his back when we found him "dead" and he wasn't turning himself into normal position so that's why we were sure he died (add being totally limp, unresponsive and the lack of breathing)... And, the bath bowl was filled with water as deep as the frog height if that's important.
    Too many to count, so you can find all our reptiles here - fb.com/sylphiesreptiles

Nationality
    [United States]

Please post a current picture of setup. Do you use soil or coco fiber? If it is dry the frog could burrow and "dry up," these frogs can burrow and all right during a period called aestevation. But this should never be done with baby frogs.

Member needs to set country!

You drowned your frog. Putting him on his back saved his life ��

Thread Information