Thread: Sick Frog? Advice Please

Nationality
    [United States]

Exclamation Sick Frog? Advice Please

About 3-4 months ago, I purchased a small Pacman Frog (green) from a little reptile store. The lil thing didn't seem to like to move much then and he still doesnt, but then again what Pacman frog does? I established the "supposed" female, as the guy that sold her said, in a 10 gallon with 3 inches of Eco Earth as the substrate. The enclosure also got a lil water dish, a fake plant to hide under and a lil hiding spot on the warm side. Warmed up via UTH, the digital thermometer/hygrometer constantly reads temps of 79-82F and humidity of 80-85%.

From the start, the frog didnt like to eat what I offered, I figured it was a new tank and she was probably stressed so it was ok. She didnt eat for 3 weeks... finally, at the end of the 3rd week I offered a night crawler and the thing dug through the frog's mouth and made her open it so she chomped back at it and ate it! Kind of an accidental force feeding... To my surprise, the next day the frog ate by herself a baby Dubia Roach I placed in there, so i offered more and she continued to eat. She ate like a champ for the next 2 weeks ( I gave her mostly earthworms, some mealworms, Dubia roaches, and just one hornworm). Suddenly one day I came to offer her some crickets and she would not move or even look at them. I tried with worms, her fav, and that didnt work either. And just like that another month of not eating occurred... I am a college student so once summer started I had to fly back home, Florida, from Colorado and she got shipped home via ShipYourReptiles.com. Once she was settled in her tank again, same setup, temps and humidity, I offered her an earthworm and to my surprise she took it! Just like last time she ate again and again but it only lasted a week. And now we find ourselves here, on the 2nd week of not eating after her last meal...
    I know Pacmans can go off feed with no problem most of the time, but I am starting to worry. She used to go at least to her water dish and make a poop even when she didnt eat but now she doesnt move out of her hide... Last night I tried to move her into the dish to see if she would poop, and this is what freaked me out, and she responded by closing her eyes, opening her mouth and extending her back legs while they twitched for 4-5 seconds all while she made a weird clicking noise.

I notice she also has not grown much since I got her... My question is, am I doing something wrong I can change or should I contact an exotics vet right away? I wanted a second opinion before I blew $500 on a vet bill, but if it is needed I will do it.

Sorry for the bible I just wrote, I wanted to be as detailed as possible.

I attached a pic of her eating and a pic of her enclosure.

Thanks for any help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Sick Frog? Advice Please

UPDATE: Frog taken to the vet, diagnosed with MBD. Has been on treatment for about a month an a half and it already is a million times better. Feeds regularly and stopped seizure like movements.

4. This member thanks trellemania for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sick Frog? Advice Please

I'm glad you found out what was wrong with your frog!
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Thread Information