Thread: Thinking about getting one.

100+ Post Member
    Member needs to set country!

Default Thinking about getting one.

Well, I am planning on down sizing one of my fish tanks which will leave me with an empty 55 gallon. I searched around for a few days trying to figure out what I could put in it that wasn't a fish and found something cool. The pixie frog . I am very interested in them, especially the males. Nothing cooler then a huge frog with teeth. Plus it looks like a cute fat green marshmallow . Anyway, I have a question or two.
    If I were to get them, I would likely be able to get him crickets,worms, meal worms, and basically anything that could be bought at a pet store that is not a roach (my mom would kill me if I tried to bring home roaches). First off, how many crickets would he be eating on a weekly basis during all of the stages of his life? Ya know, like juvenile, sub adult, adult......
    Second, how long would it take for him to reach his adult size starting as a baby, A year?
    Third, can I get a juvenile and just put him in the 55 or would that be too much space for him starting off with or something?
    Fourth, what size crickets would a juvenile be ok with eating?
    Fifth, would a screen top be better then a glass hinged top? Something like this for the glass hinged http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...FVeewAodgpwAaQ versus something like the lid on the tank in the picture https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cult...061#about-item

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Thinking about getting one.

First I'd like to point out that if you want to get a male for sure you should probably get an older frog so you can guarantee that it's a male. With babies it's quite difficult to tell so it'll be a 50/50 shot of getting a male.

Your frog will probably eat more and more as it grows. When it's growing, a good rule that a lot of people use is to feed the frog as much as it will eat in 10-15 minutes. Stick to either crickets or earthworms/nightcrawlers as a staple food source (no wild caught and NO red wriggler worms). As an adult your frog will be eating a substantial amount of food; like, a lot. It needs to maintain a large body weight. In this case you just have to do trial and error to maintain his/her weight. Feed enough so that the frog stays nice and plump but be careful not to feed so much that it becomes overweight.

It usually takes a little over a year for a juvenile to grow into an adult. Sometimes longer, sometimes short. Depends how much it eats, how often, the quality and nutritional value of the food, and stress levels

if you are going to get a juvenile i would suggest getting some crittee keepers or plastic tubs and work your way up to the 55 gallon.

Any crickets that are about the length of the space between the frogs eyes are ok to feed

it's up to you with the cover. Glass tops keep in moisture better but screen tops have better air circulation. With a screen top you may struggle to keep uo humidity and with a glass top you have to clean regularly to prevent the growth of bacteria.

good luck!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Thread Information