Thread: Bloated or just fat? Skin issues? Help!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bloated or just fat? Skin issues? Help!

Hello!
    I recently got an African clawed frog that was abandoned by a previous owner and given to me by the owner's landlord. I was not given any food for her, or her two tankmates at the time (An African Featherfin catfish and what turned out to be a juvenile Bullhead catfish) I know woefully little about these frogs but I'm trying to give her the best. I am pretty sure she's full grown but I don't know how old she is. Right now I have her in a ten gallon with a Whisper filter, some smaller sand I was told would be small enough for her to pass if she eats it accidentally. She's got a broken flower pot for a hiding place but I sanded the edges down so they weren't sharp. She's got some silk plants and a moss ball too. Her tank is heated to about 74 degrees, but I don't know the conditions she came from. I feed her Repto-Min turtle pellets, two or three every three days and the very occasional worm from my backyard compost pile (I know for a fact that neither we nor my neighbors use herbicides/pesticides so is pulling them from there still a good idea?) I've had her for about three months.

I've noticed she's been getting bigger lately and while it doesn't look like pictures of bloat that I've seen, but I don't know if she was just underfed when I got her and now she's a healthy weight or if she was a healthy weight and is now too big. I also don't know how to fix it. I am having a hard time finding information on Clawed Frogs, more often I found stuff on Dwarf frogs

She also seems to be shedding in large clumps instead of one piece. I've read that that's not good but I don't know how to fix that either.

Vets are tricky, my parents don't believe in spending money on any animal that can be replaced for less than $50 and since I'm hella broke they'd be the ones needing to pay for it.

These pictures were taken of her tonight!

http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/An...heteh.jpg.html
    http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/An...sapol.jpg.html
    Last edited by Aylaa206; June 24th, 2017 at 08:52 PM. Reason: forgot a line

Thread Information