Thread: Does Elli, my Bufo Alvarius Toad has a Fungus infection?

Default Does Elli, my Bufo Alvarius Toad has a Fungus infection?

Dear Ones
    Yes, been ages since I posted, but well time flies by.

The eight Bufo Alvarius living here are all grown up lovely and are healthy good looking Toadies.

Well but now there's something odd on Elli's skin....
    Elli is an around 4,5 yrs old, adult lady, always been cool and tough.
    She looks and behaves normal and healthy, except for this discoloration of some parts on her head and glants. Look at the pictures below.
    All of the eight Toadies do not eat for a few weeks I guess due to heat/summer months. I still offer them the Argentinian forest roaches they usually eat and which I breed myself, but all of them are simply not interested.
    So I can't say that she is sick cause she doesn't eat, since they all are not eating for a few weeks. But behaviour is normal, her eyes and overall movement is normal, too.
    Since they all look still healthy and well fed I am not worried about the fact that they don't eat.

I think This discolouration on her head might be a Fungus infection? So I am dropping some Pimafix and Melafix (not pure, some drops dissolved in a little bit water) on the white parts the past three days. I also used Dragonblood (pls Google, its a natural wound cure) once- this is why there are the black-brown marks around the whitish parts I am talking about.

OK, look...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Does Elli, my Bufo Alvarius Toad has a Fungus infection?

Ok, so I took her out and bathed her thoroughly.
    And well I am now 99,99% sure that she is just shedding on those spots. She'll soon shed all of her skin, too, I guess.
    For whatever reason this is happening. It's just strange, since I never had it that skin parts where rubbing off before the full shedding.

Haha, Jesus, I really love those Toadies.
    I got really bad thoughts the past three days though I somehow also had a cool inside feeling that I am just overreacting. Thing is we'll be leaving for 2week holiday in few days. My friends will look once a week after them, clean and all. But surely leaving a sick Toad girl behind is just a no go feeling.

But like I said all eight are amazingly grown into some beautiful healthy Toads.

They are so sweet, gentle and lovely.

I leave the thread to help others in the same panic mood about partial shedding...

Lots of Love folks
    And Namaste.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I understand being upset. It's too bad you can't judge health from appetite right now. I assume the toads are hibernating because they have a natural set time to hibernate, not because the tank environment is warm? Hibernating animals in cool, damp places can be especially prone to fungus. Patchy sheddding can really be a sign of fungus. In tree frogs, at least. I don't know about toads

No idea if this is a good idea, but you could try raising the temperature a bit. Raising it to above 32C has been mentioned as something that could help with fungus. Since the animal would be hibernating because of heat in its native country it might not be a bad thing to do. On the other hand, you don't want to stress the frog more.

Hey Dear
    All cool. She just shed herself, meaning the rest.
    Just too fubny thing, sometimes I buy the minds **** too easily.

I really consider myself an Alvarius Pro. So funny such a newbie thing got me crazy.

The temps are normal, meaning around 24-26 in the viv, 30-35 in the heating area.
    They are not hibernating at all. Just not hungry. All are very well fed, so in a sense I'm happy they don't go crazy with food like usual, so they won't store too much fat.

All look healthy and active, well for what you call active with Toads, haha.
    At night they do the usual crazy digging and at day times relax in samadhi state.

If anyone wants me to upload pix of the eight, I will do...
    I thought people lost interest when I started to show pix regularly of the little Toads growing, thats why I stopped.

Like I wrote I have eight healthy and almost all adult sweet Alvi Toads living here in an extra large viv.
    Six girls, two boys. Two of them full size adult. Elli and Kermit.

Oki, Thanks again for the answer.
    Lots of Love
    Olli

6. 2 members thank Pilz Olli for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Wow, awesome toads! I'm glad they're fine. Alvarius looks really cool.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Thread Information